Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park Assist and front camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
did you get park assist when you picked your car up or did you need to update the software? I was surprised when I didn’t get any lines or warnings when pulilng up to a supercharger today after picking up. I’ve just updated the software now I’m home with wifi but I’d have thought the service center would have put recent software on.. can’t remember the version that was on before though
The service centre updating the software to latest before collection! That's never going to happen as there is no WIFI in the carpark They always rely on the new owner to do that, after collection

Reactions: Mrklaw
I've had park assist in cars for the last decade, but only remember using it once - out of curiosity.
I do however find it appalling that Tesla is in limping mode with that feature when "the others" have had it mastered for years.
Bad for the brand, especially since all eyes are on it

Update again - mobile tech has been out again this morning. The car completed its 100 miles AFTER blue progress wheel has completed and STILL park assist doesn’t work, not even close. So the mobile tech today has took the frunk out and reset something in there, some main box unit, not sure what. Bottom line, cameras have been reset again for calibration (4th time now) and we have to “wait and see”

I’d this doesn’t work then I may look at rejecting the vehicle and I think there’s very good grounds to.

Can't say if I were in your shoes that Park Assist would be a make or break issue, to be honest. For starters, the software hasn't even existed until very recently so anyone buying a car after the ultrasonics were removed knew (or ought to) what they were getting in to.

Secondly, having seen what Tesla Vision Park Assist is like from various reviews (RSymons is particularly damning), I'd never want to actually rely on it anyway. It might as well be a squiggly line simulator in Toybox for all the use it would be in a situation where you actually would like it to be accurate.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Can't say if I were in your shoes that Park Assist would be a make or break issue, to be honest. For starters, the software hasn't even existed until very recently so anyone buying a car after the ultrasonics were removed knew (or ought to) what they were getting in to.

Secondly, having seen what Tesla Vision Park Assist is like from various reviews (RSymons is particularly damning), I'd never want to actually rely on it anyway. It might as well be a squiggly line simulator in Toybox for all the use it would be in a situation where you actually would like it to be accurate.
You’d expect it to be better than this though mate! There’s not very accurate then there’s outright pants on ya head.

Just reporting back that mine has fully cleared up, no degraded warnings etc.

It works. But as others have said the distance measures and bongs and beeps are often not well correlated with actual distance. But tbh I rely mostly on the rear camera and mirrors. The main issue is not having reliable sensor/bongs for the front if you're trying to get out of a parking space/parallel park.

Just reporting back that mine has fully cleared up, no degraded warnings etc.

It works. But as others have said the distance measures and bongs and beeps are often not well correlated with actual distance. But tbh I rely mostly on the rear camera and mirrors. The main issue is not having reliable sensor/bongs for the front if you're trying to get out of a parking space/parallel park.
How did you get yours to work?

It's been on my car for a few months now and I basically treat it the same as the rather pointless on-screen vehicle visualisations. I can already see and react using my eyes, mirrors and cameras.

Reactions: init6
It's been on my car for a few months now and I basically treat it the same as the rather pointless on-screen vehicle visualisations. I can already see and react using my eyes, mirrors and cameras.
Which is also how I drive with USS, it's an aid to get me to not forget particular corners, but more often than not I judge that it'll be fine despite the STOP warning.

Update (again)

SC contacted me this afternoon and said yes cameras are all now calibrated.

Told them it’s not different, car isn’t registering anything at all on the right hand side, doesn’t see a thing. Still getting constants park assist degraded, still miles out distance estimations, still loads of squiggly lines despite parking in perfectly symmetrical driveway

Had enough now

this thread just made me realise we have a trip to St.Ives next month and after the harbour there is a really nasty couple of turns to get to the Island section where our place is - bad enough in a car with front parking sensors but with only tesla vision I‘ll have no confidence it knows where my corners are. I might have to get the emergency front parking sensor assistant deployed - my wife.

Why no beeps in revers, should have long tone to say your close…. Like every other car, who in their right mind opted for the odd chime, I backed into a parked car watching the front, only touched it so no damage, but ONE beep sound from the car, utter rubbish, this today is on top of the car almost pulling me onto the hard shoulder on a slip road. If Tesla want new to implement new technology, it needs to work.