Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park assist looks like crap!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely agree with the OP. Why in the world Tesla takes actual camera pictures and converts them to blobby shapes is beyond me. I've had 360-degree cameras on my last few cars and real, actual, images from the cameras are much more useful.

Use the AI representations for internal processes, but give us a break and show the real objects around us! (Yeah, yeah, I know the side cameras show up in camera view, but they don't give us a single cohesive bird's-eye view like other carmakers' systems do.

View attachment 1002440
Yup. There's plenty of cameras to stitch a birds eye view together, even if it has blind spots. I don't know how it's done, but maybe the compute power is not there or the throughput needed is not there. But I really don't know.

Yup. There's plenty of cameras to stitch a birds eye view together, even if it has blind spots. I don't know how it's done, but maybe the compute power is not there or the throughput needed is not there. But I really don't know.

From what I understand, a third party owns the patent to show that kind of bird's eye view, and Tesla doesn't want to pay the royalties to support it. The 3D recreation is a way to get around the patent(s).

I like it. How AI sees the world. Just wish it would learn and my garage would become more accurate looking over time.

They should somehow merge it with the color images from cameras (and the car's self image) to make it more natural looking. Should be easy with modern retouch AI models where you can have AI extrapolate backgrounds or erase parts of images without a trace. It could even use more power while parking if needed, it's not like you do that all day.

Reactions: Noflash
First, my thanks for everyone here at the TMC forum for posting up so much critically helpful and important info over the years, am exceedingly grateful for this!

So, just registered now to comment on *this* -- completely agree with the first poster about the 'improved' park assist --it's absolutely worthless rubbish.

Got in my Model 3 first time after the update, put in in reverse and looked down at the display and with a dismayed shock instantly thought, "oh GREAT! Now what?!? My display's gone out, wonderful! I have a defective display!! I carefully backed up, and then carefully started to drive, not knowing what else might be wrong, and then after a few seconds the display went back to normal, and I realized what might going on. Well, at least the car was driveable!

The updated 'parking assist' display is absolute and complete garbage! A farce, a travesty, a pathetic joke. The blobby, massively blurred 'images' are essentialy worthless, and bear absolutely no resemblence or correlation to actual reality around the car. Among a great many other things, when I was backing out of my garage, what was supposedly the surface of my driveway had enormous dark blotches scattered randomly around the car. Were they holes in the pavement? Leaves? I got out to try and figure out what the software thought it was trying to display, and my only guess was -- some tree limbs over the driveway? Really?!? (The display also reverts to this, randomly of course, at various stoplights and intersections, not even in reverse.)

And it's more than just worthless, it's really an embarrasment and insult. The next day I picked up a friend and he looked over at the screen and was taken aback and immediately asked, "Um, what's wrong with your display screen?" I explained the situation and he was in a state of bemused disbelief, "you're kidding, right? *This* is Tesla state ot the art software?!?"

So that's the embarrassment part. The insulting part is this is what Tesla is expecting we're going to accept because they're too cheap or too stubborn to equip the car with the same *useable* real camera based systems that have been available for what, nearly a decade now? For whatever reasons, we're probably stuck with this rubbish substitute -- and with the number of cameras on board, the very *best* I can hope for would be for the display to just go back the way it was before. Like so many other issues, not holding my breath (hello, phantom braking. . .) What will most likely happen with the already announced 'fix' is that it'll be only marginally improved. So encouraging everyone who is dissatisfied with this situation to make this known to Tesla -- and maybe they'll finally equip the cars with a real 360 deg. system.

Actually there isn't, Tesla doesn't have the low mounted front facing cameras that show the floor around the car, so it will never have the 360 birds eye view other cars have. Specifically it is missing a camera in the front bumper and also the B-pillar cameras are way too high. The cars with 360 view have cameras mounted on the front bumper and on the mirrors that capture the floor.

The current high fidelity park assist view shows a better representation of how the computer is viewing the world (the occupancy network), including an estimate for objects in front. Previously they were shoehorning the computer's occupancy network into a faux ultrasonic UI, which gave inaccurate representation.

I’m having the same issue with my Parking Assist after the update. The images look like crap, totally unrecognizable and really the image is utterly useless! I tried contact Tesla and they said that nothing is wrong with my car, but clearly if you look at the picture attached there is an issue. Tesla stated they are aware of the problem and the issue will be fixed with a future firmware update, but they wouldn’t say when!! I think this is unacceptable customer service. Tesla has no regard for owners in my opinion. The blurry image is from my car and the clear image if from my friends. Both Model Y 2023 with the latest firmware update. If anyone know a fix to my issue, please let me know. Tried to rebooting, cleaning the lens…nothing works.

View attachment 1002204View attachment 1002205

I’m having the same issue after the 2023 holiday update and after applying the patch 2023.44.30.5.1 which Tesla thought would fix the issue. Hopefully this gets addressed soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3791.jpeg
    IMG_3791.jpeg
    611.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3792.jpeg
    IMG_3792.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 26
USS don’t save you from driving over a low curb and scratching the underside of the front valance. I am very jealous that I don’t yet have the new park assist visualisation…especially when it can show the painted lines on a car park

Reactions: MGMiller
I’m having the same issue after the 2023 holiday update and after applying the patch 2023.44.30.5.1 which Tesla thought would fix the issue. Hopefully this gets addressed soon.
Has Tesla said they are trying to fix it? From what I saw in their original PR release, from well before the updates started rolling out, what we have is exactly what was advertised.

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold
Can you link or screenshot the actual post(s) where he talks about improvements? The one you link only is an announcement of what was just released and doesn't address the concerns of the OP.
There is no announcement of anything addressing the concerns of the OP, it will never be a bird's-eye camera view...

But this X post talks about coming improvements:

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
There is no announcement of anything addressing the concerns of the OP, it will never be a bird's-eye camera view...

But this X post talks about coming improvements:

Thanks, that's what I was expecting, those expecting a birds eye view or a return to the swiggly lines are likely to be sorely disappointed.

As others posted, there doesn't appear to be any plans to move back to the previous UI with the swiggly lines. Have you tried moving the display around to get the 3D view and see if that improves things? That is how it was designed to be used (not necessarily the top down view).