Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park assist looks like crap!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others posted, there doesn't appear to be any plans to move back to the previous UI with the swiggly lines.
My 2022 MSLR with USS, no FSD or EAP on 2023.44.30.5.1 still has squiggly lines and no 3D park assist blobs. However, just as cars passing by or parked next to the spot I'm moving into, those are rendered as they have always been rendered but not used for park assist. I'll keep the squigly lines, thank you.

Over the weekend, while vacationing in Hawaii, I rented a Mode 3 from Avis. I was quite impressed with the new park assist feature in the rental M3, which had updated software. It significantly simplified parking and was a pleasant experience. Yeah… graphic looks funky but still functional. However, I was disappointed to discover that my own cars are too old to receive this update. So sad.

I think the point people are missing is that park assist is more for the car to be able to park than it is for human eyes. Sure, for human eyes, it's hard to beat BEV. But BEV alone is limiting to a Tesla's computer; photos are two dimensional and, as such, their usefulness for a Tesla is limited. This enhanced view, basically giving the computer a 3D model of the local environment, is essential, I think, for the furtherance of self-driving vehicles.

I think the point people are missing is that park assist is more for the car to be able to park than it is for human eyes. Sure, for human eyes, it's hard to beat BEV. But BEV alone is limiting to a Tesla's computer; photos are two dimensional and, as such, their usefulness for a Tesla is limited. This enhanced view, basically giving the computer a 3D model of the local environment, is essential, I think, for the furtherance of self-driving vehicles.
None of our cars will be self driving in our lifetimes, so it's a moot point.

Most other cars in this price range can render a 3d environment with their proper camera positioning and suite of other sensors anyway. Tesla's generated image is at best a guess.

I have two Tesla Model Y cars - one 2021, one 2023.
Each is using software 2023.44.30.8.061534d46010 .

The 2021 show this while parking ( which I like ) :
IMG_5925.JPG

The 2023 shows this while parking ( which is useless ):

IMG_5924.JPG

Is there anyway to make my 2023 car display behave/look like the 2021 car display ??

I have two Tesla Model Y cars - one 2021, one 2023.
Each is using software 2023.44.30.8.061534d46010 .

The 2021 show this while parking ( which I like ) :
View attachment 1009065

The 2023 shows this while parking ( which is useless ):

View attachment 1009066

Is there anyway to make my 2023 car display behave/look like the 2021 car display ??
No. But if you wait, your 21 MY may eventually look like your 23 MY.

The 21 MY has ultrasonic sensors and does not yet have the new park assist. Tesla has indicated that it will eventually get it.

No. But if you wait, your 21 MY may eventually look like your 23 MY.

The 21 MY has ultrasonic sensors and does not yet have the new park assist. Tesla has indicated that it will eventually get it.

i just want birds eye view so that i can tell if i am centered in my stall. why does tesla need to show blobs of useless things around you. seriously. i mean when i am driving, i see lane lines. but when i park, i see nothing, just the car and any cars around me. no lines. i have a 2021, model 3 so i'm glad if this is true i won't be getting the useless blobs. so this supposed huge holiday update, the only thing useful i got was i can now make my car fart when it locks?

i just want birds eye view so that i can tell if i am centered in my stall. why does tesla need to show blobs of useless things around you. seriously. i mean when i am driving, i see lane lines. but when i park, i see nothing, just the car and any cars around me. no lines. i have a 2021, model 3 so i'm glad if this is true i won't be getting the useless blobs. so this supposed huge holiday update, the only thing useful i got was i can now make my car fart when it locks?
FYI the high fidelity parking update that the non-USS cars get also shows the parking lines, as well as curbs.
Here's a fairly comprehensive test:

Reactions: zoomer0056
I just wish I could make it go into park assist mode more reliably (like when pulling through a parking spot). It likes to trigger when I'm stopped on off-ramps or sitting in the school dropoff line, but in actual parking lots it doesn't unless I put it into reverse first. Admittedly, I back in almost exclusively (assuming there's not a full pull-through space available) but still...

Has Tesla ever offered bird's eye view? While anything could happen, my understanding is that it is not something they are considering.
Mine does pretty good at accurately showing the parking lot lines in high fidelity park assist. Though, sometimes I have to shift into reverse and then back into drive to see them when parking forward.

Has Tesla ever offered bird's eye view? While anything could happen, my understanding is that it is not something they are considering.
Mine does pretty good at accurately showing the parking lot lines in high fidelity park assist. Though, sometimes I have to shift into reverse and then back into drive to see them when parking forward.
Nope, never. And Teslas don't have the cameras necessary for it. There needs to be a front bumper camera and the forward facing side cameras need to be much lower and facing the ground (most have them on the mirrors).