Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park assist looks like crap!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After most recent update to improve park assist, the improved image looks like fuzzy muppet’s?!? Anyone having this issue or do I need to open a ticket?

Attachments

• IMG_4039.jpeg
    IMG_4039.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: WiseShepherd
That's a representation of the 3d model that the car is reconstructing based on the view from the multiple cameras. There's not enough overlap from those cameras to construct a precise 3d model. This essentially shows the "obstacles" that the car considers. It's not trying to display existing physical objects, it's trying to show the total places it believes there are obstacles.
Everyone with the new software and no physical sensors (thus everyone with this new feature) has the same behavior. There's nothing to "fix".

Reactions: Jaymc5
I’m having the same issue with my Parking Assist after the update. The images look like crap, totally unrecognizable and really the image is utterly useless! I tried contact Tesla and they said that nothing is wrong with my car, but clearly if you look at the picture attached there is an issue. Tesla stated they are aware of the problem and the issue will be fixed with a future firmware update, but they wouldn’t say when!! I think this is unacceptable customer service. Tesla has no regard for owners in my opinion. The blurry image is from my car and the clear image if from my friends. Both Model Y 2023 with the latest firmware update. If anyone know a fix to my issue, please let me know. Tried to rebooting, cleaning the lens…nothing works.

IMG_7044.jpeg
IMG_5823.jpeg

I’m having the same issue with my Parking Assist after the update. The images look like crap, totally unrecognizable and really the image is utterly useless! I tried contact Tesla and they said that nothing is wrong with my car, but clearly if you look at the picture attached there is an issue. Tesla stated they are aware of the problem and the issue will be fixed with a future firmware update, but they wouldn’t say when!! I think this is unacceptable customer service. Tesla has no regard for owners in my opinion. The blurry image is from my car and the clear image if from my friends.
You have the new High Fidelity Park Assist visualizations and your friend doesn't. So, of course they don't look the same. I would say it is working as it is supposed to.

Both Model Y 2023 with the latest firmware update.
What do you mean by that? That when you check it doesn't show any update available for that vehicle? Or are you saying that both vehicles are on the same version, that is 2023.44.30.x? (Hint: They aren't both on the same version.)

Reactions: Star K1tty
You have the new High Fidelity Park Assist visualizations and your friend doesn't. So, of course they don't look the same. I would say it is working as it is supposed to.

What do you mean by that? That when you check it doesn't show any update available for that vehicle? Or are you saying that both vehicles are on the same version, that is 2023.44.30.x? (Hint: They aren't both on the same version.)

MP3Mike - do you mean the new High Fidelity Park Assist is supposed to look like the first picture?? That’s not a high fidelity imagine in my opinion. My BMW 360 birdseye view had much better resolution.

I will confirm, but I believe both cars are on the same version of the software…..but maybe not.

Tesla already responded and said they are aware of the issue and they should be releasing a software update within two weeks to fix the problem.

• Funny
Reactions: dansev and KArnold
MP3Mike - do you mean the new High Fidelity Park Assist is supposed to look like the first picture?? That’s not a high fidelity imagine in my opinion. My BMW 360 birdseye view had much better resolution.
Yes.

The new High Fidelity Park Assist isn't supposed to look anything like a bird's-eye view. It is a 3D recreation of the environment, not an actual camera image.

I’m having the same issue with my Parking Assist after the update. The images look like crap, totally unrecognizable and really the image is utterly useless! I tried contact Tesla and they said that nothing is wrong with my car, but clearly if you look at the picture attached there is an issue. Tesla stated they are aware of the problem and the issue will be fixed with a future firmware update, but they wouldn’t say when!! I think this is unacceptable customer service. Tesla has no regard for owners in my opinion. The blurry image is from my car and the clear image if from my friends. Both Model Y 2023 with the latest firmware update. If anyone know a fix to my issue, please let me know. Tried to rebooting, cleaning the lens…nothing works.

View attachment 1002204View attachment 1002205
Yours is working as designed and your friend’s car probably has ultrasonic parking sensors (USS).

Doesn’t mean it’s good but nothing is broken; we’re all in the same boat.

Yes.

The new High Fidelity Park Assist isn't supposed to look anything like a bird's-eye view. It is a 3D recreation of the environment, not an actual camera image.
Well, that makes sense, but it should be a lot clearer and objectives are more recognizable. It just looks like a bunch of clouds around my car…not a bad thing but not very helpful when trying to park. :)

It's not trying to recognize known objects and show them to you. It could miss objects it doesn't know. Instead it tries to construct a 3d representation of the space around and shows all the places it thinks there's a high enough chance of having an obstacle that it won't drive there.

They should have kept some distance measurements to the nearest obstructions. I know that this is a first attempt that *should* get better over time. But they already had the distance measurements.

Maybe they'll add them later.

I would also like to see some 3D perspective when the car is moving. Maybe from a position above the middle of the car looking in the direction of travel so you can see some height. As a flat projection, you can't tell whether the obstructions are grass or a wall.

Reactions: X Fan and MP3Mike
They should have kept some distance measurements to the nearest obstructions. I know that this is a first attempt that *should* get better over time. But they already had the distance measurements.

Maybe they'll add them later.

I would also like to see some 3D perspective when the car is moving. Maybe from a position above the middle of the car looking in the direction of travel so you can see some height. As a flat projection, you can't tell whether the obstructions are grass or a wall.
They may add the distances back in at some time in the future. But, in my experience without USS, the distances indicated were very inaccurate.

Completely agree with the OP. Why in the world Tesla takes actual camera pictures and converts them to blobby shapes is beyond me. I've had 360-degree cameras on my last few cars and real, actual, images from the cameras are much more useful.

Use the AI representations for internal processes, but give us a break and show the real objects around us! (Yeah, yeah, I know the side cameras show up in camera view, but they don't give us a single cohesive bird's-eye view like other carmakers' systems do.

Birdfs eye camera.jpg