Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, ok, let's all take a breath here. First of all, who said we were trying to make a statement here? It's just a car. It's a commodity for me. I buy a new car for either my wife or I every couple of years. The point I was trying to make was that I really hope Tesla comes through on its promises to fix these issues "soon" as they stated. Don't get me totally wrong. I don't think the MY is total garbage. I live on the Central Coast of CA. There are 4 MY's just within 6 houses of me. I've driven and looked at them. They're very good, not perfect, but very good. I'd put them second behind the Ioniq 5 in the category. Also, you guys seem to be making this out like I'm squandering a precious commodity. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a MY around here. It's literally the single most common car in our area. Used to be Prius, now it's MY. I will admit that at about $70k, I never would have bought one, but at $50k, sign me up. Other than the lack of some safety features, I think we will be happy, so hopefully they will fix them soon as promised. And if not, we should be able to flip it without much trouble or expense.
I'm in a similar neighborhood. Teslas all over the place. I waited months to get my MY and I had a few weeks to consider the impact of losing those sensors given the timing of the announcement and my EDD. I figured there was so much about the car I would enjoy that I thought I could live with this annoyance. The enthusiasm factor was strong. And I have to say, it's only an issue when backing out in a busy parking lot. If I'm sandwiched between two large vehicles I think, well here I come everybody.. fingers crossed. So I have to be very careful. Pulling into parking spots is fine, I memorized some visual cues and the benefit is that I won't scrape the front of the car by staying farther back. Being able to put the camera views on screen is very helpful.

But - I hope pressure builds, and it's good to know that Tesla is aware that this is affecting their sales.

Full disclosure, I'm the "60 year old mother" I keep seeing here. As in, "even your 60 year old mother could drive this..." Hilarious!

I'm in a similar neighborhood. Teslas all over the place. I waited months to get my MY and I had a few weeks to consider the impact of losing those sensors given the timing of the announcement and my EDD. I figured there was so much about the car I would enjoy that I thought I could live with this annoyance. The enthusiasm factor was strong. And I have to say, it's only an issue when backing out in a busy parking lot. If I'm sandwiched between two large vehicles I think, well here I come everybody.. fingers crossed. So I have to be very careful. Pulling into parking spots is fine, I memorized some visual cues and the benefit is that I won't scrape the front of the car by staying farther back. Being able to put the camera views on screen is very helpful.

But - I hope pressure builds, and it's good to know that Tesla is aware that this is affecting their sales.

Full disclosure, I'm the "60 year old mother" I keep seeing here. As in, "even your 60 year old mother could drive this..." Hilarious!
Yep, my biggest concern is backing out of congested parking spaces like Costco where you are wedged in between 2 cars and can't see much except straight back. Even cameras will not see this well until cars are really close. The ultrasonics really help here. Anyway, they moved our delivery up to tomorrow, so I really hope they fix it soon.

We are due to pick ours up Sunday. Like many, we were tempted by the massive price drop and reluctantly pulled the trigger on a MYLR. Just want to echo that this had better not be another of Elon's empty promises to fix with Telsa Vision soon or we will definitely sell ours quickly. In this day and age, a lack of lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, parking aids, pedestrian and accident avoidance systems is inexcusable. My wife's $35K Kia Niro had all of the above and more. Really don't understand why they pulled these features before the software was ready. We are gambling on it being fixed very soon, but will definitely sell the car if it isn't.
You might want to reconsider. Waiting since late November for Tesla vision solution. Tesla will claim blind spot monitor exists but it requires you to have turn signal activiated and be able to look down and to the right to see a "red" vehicle on the screen. It requires you to take your eye off the road to recognize the car in your blind spot. Traditional BSM alerts you with any car appearing in your blind spot (without turn signal activation) and it is in your normal range of vision. No one from Tesla will provide any approximate date for Tesla vision solution or explain how it will work. Be careful if you are asked to sign disclaimers about park assist. Try a test drive and parking car before accepting delivery.

Too late, picked it up yesterday. And, btw, that disclaimer is mandatory to buy one now. We knew going in that it was not working yet, but like I've said several times on here, I would be inclined to sell it if the safety features are not returned in the next few months. Of course, it's my wife's call-its her car.

Reactions: sfRonH
Yes, the only thing going for it is the steep discount and the tax credit eligibility with the vague promise of "tesla vision" as a replacement to sensors (although it will be no surprise to me if I learn down the road "tesla vision" was nothing but a marketing ploy to avoid scarcity of USS and we'll get nothing as a replacement).

Wouldn't you need to keep a car for a year to claim the $7500 tax credit from the feds though?
You are being ridiculous! Tesla didn’t abandon park assist because they removed USS. There is no gimmick or marketing ploy here.. seriously, Tesla doesn’t need you as a customer as bad as the other brands and they have no reason to “grease the wheels” and try to fool anybody.

Vision will support park assist in the place of USS eventually. You will (eventually) have distance markers to objects when parking soon.

You’re an adult. You purchased a car and acknowledged the limited functionality (as others have stated above) when you clicked the button.

Just chill out and enjoy your awesome car! Try not to worry about the parking system for now. You made an excellent purchase (and got a smokin’ deal) and will look back at this one day and laugh!

You might want to reconsider. Waiting since late November for Tesla vision solution. Tesla will claim blind spot monitor exists but it requires you to have turn signal activiated and be able to look down and to the right to see a "red" vehicle on the screen. It requires you to take your eye off the road to recognize the car in your blind spot. Traditional BSM alerts you with any car appearing in your blind spot (without turn signal activation) and it is in your normal range of vision. No one from Tesla will provide any approximate date for Tesla vision solution or explain how it will work. Be careful if you are asked to sign disclaimers about park assist. Try a test drive and parking car before accepting delivery.
The lack of traditional BSM in our Tesla’s is perfectly ok because even if the driver doesn’t see the red car in the blind spot, the vehicle will intervene and prevent the lane change from occurring on top of the car in your blind spot.

It’ll beep and you’ll feel the wheel take over control keeping you in your lane - this is regardless of whether you have a blinker on or not.

I prefer this system to the BSM’s I’ve had in my previous Audi or BMW.. the constant light in the corner of the side mirror is distracting at night. Plus my Audi or BMW never kept me in my lane if I was attempting to change lanes on top of someone next to me - instead the mirror light just flashed really fast. Was hardly as effective and wouldn’t prevent an accident like the Tesla BSM does.

You are being ridiculous! Tesla didn’t abandon park assist because they removed USS. There is no gimmick or marketing ploy here.. seriously, Tesla doesn’t need you as a customer as bad as the other brands and they have no reason to “grease the wheels” and try to fool anybody.

Vision will support park assist in the place of USS eventually. You will (eventually) have distance markers to objects when parking soon.

You’re an adult. You purchased a car and acknowledged the limited functionality (as others have stated above) when you clicked the button.

Just chill out and enjoy your awesome car! Try not to worry about the parking system for now. You made an excellent purchase (and got a smokin’ deal) and will look back at this one day and laugh!
Agree with all your points after picking up the car today. Flawless assembly, but still waiting and hoping for the Tesla Vision:)

So does anyone in the thread use PA and like it?

My temptation would be if it could reliably navigate my very narrow garage door (1.5" to spare on each side with mirrors out - ~87") and stop more reliable at the right spot inside. I used a hanging plushie to mark the spot, but I often go too far. Done right, there's enough space between the garage door and the trunk, and in front there is enough room to comfortably pass towards the laundry.

Exiting is a game of see the same narrow gap between the body and the door edges on each rear mirror, which is why I normally leave it open. But the car is beeping and warning incessantly in both entries and exits.

Agree with all your points after picking up the car today. Flawless assembly, but still waiting and hoping for the Tesla Vision:)
I’m so happy to hear that you’re happy with the assembly. That’s great to hear considering my car arrived 2 years ago with some panel gaps and other issues. The build quality has indeed improved. My neighbor got his ‘23 Model Y last week and I was impressed with how much better his car was put together!

Enjoy your car bro! It’s a fun car to drive everyday even if it doesn’t have proper park assist functionality (yet). Again, congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club!

So does anyone in the thread use PA and like it?

My temptation would be if it could reliably navigate my very narrow garage door (1.5" to spare on each side with mirrors out - ~87") and stop more reliable at the right spot inside. I used a hanging plushie to mark the spot, but I often go too far. Done right, there's enough space between the garage door and the trunk, and in front there is enough room to comfortably pass towards the laundry.

Exiting is a game of see the same narrow gap between the body and the door edges on each rear mirror, which is why I normally leave it open. But the car is beeping and warning incessantly in both entries and exits.
The only time I use my PA is parking in my garage. When I'm in the perfect spot I have about a foot in front towards the garage door and a foot behind to walk into the house. So I do know that I stop when PA says ~40cm and I'm good. That said there would be many ways to accomplish this without PA. I could just reference when my side mirror gets to a certain spot along the wall etc.

I've turned off the beep...always yelling at me even when I know I'm not going to hit the object. I just use the distance for the garage. I wouldn't really miss PA if I didn't have it. I don't know what the big outcry is all about. I trust my own spacial awareness and the 3 camera views much more than the PA going nuts all the time.

Reactions: TesslaBull
The lack of traditional BSM in our Tesla’s is perfectly ok because even if the driver doesn’t see the red car in the blind spot, the vehicle will intervene and prevent the lane change from occurring on top of the car in your blind spot.

It’ll beep and you’ll feel the wheel take over control keeping you in your lane - this is regardless of whether you have a blinker on or not.

I prefer this system to the BSM’s I’ve had in my previous Audi or BMW.. the constant light in the corner of the side mirror is distracting at night. Plus my Audi or BMW never kept me in my lane if I was attempting to change lanes on top of someone next to me - instead the mirror light just flashed really fast. Was hardly as effective and wouldn’t prevent an accident like the Tesla BSM does.
Really? Will the vehicle "vehicle intervene and prevent the lane change" when driving manually?

Yep, my biggest concern is backing out of congested parking spaces like Costco where you are wedged in between 2 cars and can't see much except straight back. Even cameras will not see this well until cars are really close. The ultrasonics really help here. Anyway, they moved our delivery up to tomorrow, so I really hope they fix it soon.
the cameras are a great assistance when backing out of a parking space. works great, vety confidence inspiring but still requires attention. key word, that....
i do find it mildly difficult to judge where the nose of the car is when getting to the end of a parking spot

I'm also seeing info here and on YT that says the car without USS is still giving obstacle cues / chimes using the camera system. true?

Parking isn't that hard. I understand in Europe or cities with super tight parallel parking requiring 1 inch precision on a regular basis. My mom is blind in one eye and parks on a regular basis all by herself in a car with no artificial parking assistance. She has never once hit or bumped into anything parking. It's really just not that hard.

Always back into parking spaces. Backing in is very safe. Pulling out is very safe. Backing out of a parking space is always much riskier. Back in = easy. Pull out = easy. Park assist or not.

Parking assist technology or no, you should not be backing out of parking spaces in a parking lot. Always back *in* to the parking space....you have 100% clear lines of sight and already know if anyone or any car is moving in the area. Backup camera works fine if you can't backup on your own. When you leave, pulling out is safe and easy. This is a basic driving rule that everyone should follow. You HAVE to either back in, OR back out. So it only makes sense to do so the smart and safe way. You have to back up once to park(either on the way in or the way out) unless you pull through. So just do it the smart way and there will never ever be any issue. I don't have park assist. I didn't know it was an issue until I read all the doom and gloom on these forums. I find it comical and a bit.....dramatic. Can't we all just learn to park?

Status
Not open for further replies.