Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensor retrofit - $6000 ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to decide if now would be a good time to get parking sensors retrofitted, as I need a new front bumper anyway.

My front bumper was damaged in a hit-and-run in the parking lot at the grocery store. :mad: Paint scraped and plastic creased. The bumper is designed to pop off to help mitigate damage, and did that, but not quite enough to avoid being damaged. Replacement front bumper is $850 unpainted according to Tesla Certified body shop, and repainting brings the total up to $2100. Would still need the rear though, and I assume it is similarly expensive. Will talk to the service center and see how much it would be, and if they are willing to do retrofit.

Parking Sensor Retro Fit (Are you sitting down)

Just got a call back from Dania Beach Center

Only $7,500.00 :eek:

They will need to replace front and rear bumper and install the wiring harness.... still $7500??? still don't know why they cant drill holes.

Maybe I can buy the sensors from TMC have them installed then have Tesla install the wiring harness as I assume a new front and rear bumper cost $$$

Better still I'm gong after market.

Just got a call back from Dania Beach Center

Only $7,500.00 :eek:

They will need to replace front and rear bumper and install the wiring harness.... still $7500??? still don't know why they cant drill holes.

Maybe I can buy the sensors from TMC have them installed then have Tesla install the wiring harness as I assume a new front and rear bumper cost $$$

Better still I'm gong after market.

Might as well sell your car and get a new one with sensors for that price

My better half already did bump into something when backing up. So my "cost" to install parking sensors (when they also did a + upgrade on my Sig Perf. 85) was ameliorated by the amount I would have had to pay for fixing the bumper anyways.

I love 'em. They make parking in the garage a joy, they make backing up in parking lots so much easier (you can't be looking all around you AND at the backup display simultaneously).

Much more money than I wanted to spend on 'em: yeah, but totally worth it.

@Sfriedrich: Did you need to have a new harness installed for the parking sensors? If so, do you know which harness did they replace?

My better half already did bump into something when backing up. So my "cost" to install parking sensors (when they also did a + upgrade on my Sig Perf. 85) was ameliorated by the amount I would have had to pay for fixing the bumper anyways.

I love 'em. They make parking in the garage a joy, they make backing up in parking lots so much easier (you can't be looking all around you AND at the backup display simultaneously).

Much more money than I wanted to spend on 'em: yeah, but totally worth it.

After the sticker shock of retro Fitting OEM parking sensors I have been searching the web for an aftermarket solution
I guess whatever you get it is gonna be MIC so one can only hope that they work unless someone has a good option, I would like the Tesla hardware but they don’t sell to end-users.

An alternative would be maybe salvage another OEM sensor set up from a scrap yard but the system will need to use a separate head unit/brain and could be modified to display on a small custom LED or VFD display.

Something like this looks ideal but I am no engineer so I do not know if it is even possible

http://www.varitronix.com/product/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34&Itemid=79&lang=en

But I am assuming the image that is displayed is generated from the head unit, so hypothetically I can use any screen with the right wiring, if that is the case the following dimensions will fit nicely in the dash 2.5” X 2” or 2” X 1.5”

IMAG0208.jpg
IMAG0202.jpg

I don’t know what behind the dash but I have a good custom shop that if the display concept works it should look OEM once installed I know this is sketchy but with help from the more gifted members on this forum I am confident I can arrive at a solution

Any suggestions would be welcome

Last edited:
Are people with the Tesla retrofit happy other than the price? Getting my rear bumper replaced anyway after parking on the street and someone leaving two small holes in the rear bumper with their license plate bracket.
Was quoted $6,500 (nuts) but could knock off the insurance payment of about $1,700. Still about $2,000 too high.

I did it DIY. Front and rear harnesses, sensors, mounts and controller. Bought an 18.5MM quality hole saw for $7. Used the existing marks in the bumper for drill points. SC enabled it in software. Talk to your SC about parts. Wish I opted for the 12-sensor system as it, too was marked and apparently wired in my P163xx car. There are two identical unused plugs by the new controller (trunk behind left wheel well) to which one would connect the system. 50-50 chance you'll connect the right one. I was in the wrong 50 so it took an extra hour or so to diagnose that, but i'd expect it to only take 30 shop minutes to enable.

I did it DIY. Front and rear harnesses, sensors, mounts and controller. Bought an 18.5MM quality hole saw for $7. Used the existing marks in the bumper for drill points. SC enabled it in software. Talk to your SC about parts. Wish I opted for the 12-sensor system as it, too was marked and apparently wired in my P163xx car. There are two identical unused plugs by the new controller (trunk behind left wheel well) to which one would connect the system. 50-50 chance you'll connect the right one. I was in the wrong 50 so it took an extra hour or so to diagnose that, but i'd expect it to only take 30 shop minutes to enable.

Part list/cost?