Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment Method Required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies in advance if this has all ready been answered

I have a year old Model S P and i do not pay for super charging, but when charging today i was prompted with "payment Method Required, i was charging at home!!

Any ideas why i'm now been asked this ?

IMG_0746.jpg

Apologies in advance if this has all ready been answered

I have a year old Model S P and i do not pay for super charging, but when charging today i was prompted with "payment Method Required, i was charging at home!!

Any ideas why i'm now been asked this ?

View attachment 585334
It happened to me too (w free SC) and discovered my CC on file reached its expiration date

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
I also have lifetime free supercharging and am seeing the "payment method required" sign. The only time my credit card was used was during the reservation payment during my initial order a few months ago - that card expired.

I suspect that it's required even for lifetime in the event of idle fees.

I have it too with 2020.36 - pretty sure it's new. I don't have a credit card on file with them (never have) and don't intend to put one online. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

It's a new addition, so you're correct.

What you will find is that if you supercharge and accrue idle fees, your ability to supercharge will be turned off without a card. Honestly, I see a card being mandatory going forward to ensure they have the means to bill improper usage.

Many of us enjoy the perk of "free supercharging" not free energy. For those of us that sit in the car with either the heat or air conditioning running, this energy is expelled outside the terms of the "free" offer. I would expect us to start seeing small charges in the future.

Tesla Adjusts Supercharging Cost To Include Vehicle Use While Charging - Tesla Motors Club

Yeah it’s new. Doesn’t seem to affect anything at the moment.

I think this is prep for enabling the ability of property managers to charge fees at destination chargers. Visible push to get more people to put cards on file.

Many of us enjoy the perk of "free supercharging" not free energy. For those of us that sit in the car with either the heat or air conditioning running, this energy is expelled outside the terms of the "free" offer. I would expect us to start seeing small charges in the future.

Tesla Adjusts Supercharging Cost To Include Vehicle Use While Charging - Tesla Motors Club

This is not really an accurate assessment of what happened here. HVAC energy is certainly “free” to anyone with free supercharging, and continues to be, and certainly isn’t “outside the terms”.

The problem was Tesla was undercharging people on paid plans, only billing them for “energy provided to battery” vs “energy provided to car”. A reasonable thing to fix.

Reactions: drklain
This is not really an accurate assessment of what happened here. HVAC energy is certainly “free” to anyone with free supercharging, and continues to be, and certainly isn’t “outside the terms”.

The problem was Tesla was undercharging people on paid plans, only billing them for “energy provided to battery” vs “energy provided to car”. A reasonable thing to fix.

HVAC energy is free for now... There is nothing within the bounds of their "Free" obligation to continue funding it.

As a shareholder, I am totally okay with them billing for non-charging usage.

HVAC energy is free for now... There is nothing within the bounds of their "Free" obligation to continue funding it.

As a shareholder, I am totally okay with them billing for non-charging usage.

This is a meaningless distinction and makes no practical sense, nor is Tesla stupid enough to put an asterisk next to their "free" supercharging promotion that says something incomprehensible like "* unless you use the energy to heat or cool your car while it's charging vs. while it's driving".

Reactions: P85_DA
This is a meaningless distinction and makes no practical sense, nor is Tesla stupid enough to put an asterisk next to their "free" supercharging promotion that says something incomprehensible like "* unless you use the energy to heat or cool your car while it's charging vs. while it's driving".

You mean like how Tesla has NEVER changed their warranty or processes from year to year?

• Funny
Reactions: Chaserr
PAYMENT METHOD REQUIRED message-
No need to hyper ventilate. It is simple case of updating your payment method.
Today, I have had the same message on my display, right after completing supercharging my Model 3 (~$10 in Rancho Cucomanga, CA). In parallel I received an Email, saying "we noticed your Tesla account doesn't have a valid...method on file", but the supercharger completed the feed with no interruptions.
So, when I got home in a couple of hours, I logged into my account/payment and realized that I had forgotten to update my credit card's revised expiration date. So, as I updated it, the Tesla website asked me to submit the payment, which I did.

Problem resolved.