Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could just remove the speaker entirely and bingo - your car is one of those interim ones where it wasn’t included.

As far as I understand the wiring is there regardless.

But once the speaker is fitted AND the software is activated, removing the speaker would then cause a fault on the car. Which is why those little blanking plug things exist right? For people to remove the speakers.

But then, your going out of your way to trick the system, which would then fall under an MOT failure I imagine.

Some exact dates from the OP article. I wonder what the state of any UK delivered Model 3's built after Sep 9 2020?

Linked article said:
Page has now also confirmed with a Tesla source that the PWS can be retrofitted in Model 3 vehicles built between July 5, 2019, through September 9, 2020. Page said on his original posting that “this period represents the timing of when the wiring harness was included but not the speaker.”

If the latest cars are delivered Q2 end, which seems likely, then there’s no reason to assume that they’ll have the PWS speaker fitted. More likely I’d say is Q3 on cars.

There are usually some cars not sold by the end of the quarter, they'll need to be pre-registered or have the speaker fitted if Tesla want to sell them as new, so will I agree that Q3 cars will definitely have the speaker fitted my point was that they might have fitted it to Q2 cars already - there's been a space and wiring for some time now.

I'm sure Tesla will have crunched the numbers and decided on the most economic route, which does probably mean retrofitting to the relatively small number of unsold cars, I wasn't assuming it would be fitted to Q2 cars just suggesting that it was a possibility, but as usual I didn't express myself very well.

Some exact dates from the OP article. I wonder what the state of any UK delivered Model 3's built after Sep 9 2020?

This is interesting. Mine is after sep 9 2020, but no PWS and my understanding is no speaker. I can't find it now, but I did see someone who checked and they didn't find a speaker.

I wonder if I can hold a camera under the car to check somehow.

This is interesting. Mine is after sep 9 2020, but no PWS and my understanding is no speaker. I can't find it now, but I did see someone who checked and they didn't find a speaker.

I wonder if I can hold a camera under the car to check somehow.
The cars built after a certain date (pretty much covers all the UK Model 3's) came with the wiring harness in place along with the holes in the grill but no speaker was fitted. Theoretically, and has been done in practice, a speaker is all that is needed, but its only a temporary solution as the car needs to be configured to know about the speaker.

The cars built after a certain date (pretty much covers all the UK Model 3's) came with the wiring harness in place along with the holes in the grill but no speaker was fitted. Theoretically, and has been done in practice, a speaker is all that is needed, but its only a temporary solution as the car needs to be configured to know about the speaker.

I'm trying to work out why September would be a cutoff for any specific retrofit, assuming it is of course.

Because prior to that date (July 5, 2019) in 2019 the cars did not have the wiring harness or holes in the grill. After the Sep 2020 date, US cars had the speaker fitted. I guess the article is very US centric and fails to appreciate that just because US cars had the speaker, not everyone else did.

Last edited:
I'm trying to work out why September would be a cutoff for any specific retrofit, assuming it is of course.
I guess that's from a US article, the speaker became mandatory at about that time so they would already have it. July 2019 will be the point at which the wiring harness and front panel were modified to support the speaker.

I guess that's from a US article, the speaker became mandatory at about that time so they would already have it. July 2019 will be the point at which the wiring harness and front panel were modified to support the speaker.

That's the one, a search shows that September 2020 was when it became mandatory in the USA. I always got the June date, I couldn't see what made Tesla aim for September.

They clearly have left it to the very last minute for every market, like here as well.

If you look elsewhere on the forums, current (Q2) deliveries of Model 3s from China include the speaker(s) and the the PWS is enabled. Can't confirm myself yet as it's only just Sunday and my pick up isn't until Friday ...

Given we are only weeks away from it being mandatory on all new registrations, it's not surprising all the cars finally have it now. But they clearly waited as long as they dare.

They'll wanna clear out unregistered show room cars I guess that don't have it installed, maybe that's why some appeared as inventory.

Hi everyone. I live in dubai and I ordered the speaker. Tesla doesn't to install it neither to program the car. So I installed myself as the wire is there. It works for the normal sound. Next morning no more sound. Even if I restart the computer (soft reset) it is coming back then off on the next ride. I guess tesla doesn't want me to use it for now.

Hi everyone. I Iive in dubai and ordered the speaker for my model 3. When I got it the service center refuse to install it. So I did it myself. Pretty easy to do. I worked after a soft reset. But after a new ride it stopped working. I reset again and it works...till the next ride. I guess tesla doesn't want me to use it!

I wouldn’t normally want my Tesla to make any whooshing noises, but I spent a long time today behind dawdling pedestrians in the Lake District.

It would have been great to be able turn on PWS as needed.

So much dawdling!

Hi everyone. I Iive in dubai and ordered the speaker for my model 3. When I got it the service center refuse to install it. So I did it myself. Pretty easy to do. I worked after a soft reset. But after a new ride it stopped working. I reset again and it works...till the next ride. I guess tesla doesn't want me to use it!

How interesting. Does the car have internet connectivity? Either mobile data or Wi-Fi.

If so, I wonder if a "disconnected" car does the same.