Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys piqued my interest as I love to tinker and came across this in my search.

Not sure if you guys were aware of it? From what I found Tesla offers a subscription service to access their tools. Prices are eye-watering for a temporary license and would probably make any retrofit that much more expensive, but to do a few in a go could make it feasible. There's also the hardware that you'll need too I suppose.
As I understand it, from speaking to @Leafable over PM, he's using a third party tool to make gateway configuration changes. I doubt Tesla service tools let you activate features that a) they want you to pay for or b) don't want you to have at all (e.g. ambient lights on non-premium interiors). I suspect this is more about being able to work on the cars rather than making changes to options, etc.

Reactions: Cardo
I guess if these features work by "simply" sending a cambus (or whatever Tesla use) message then turning on a heated steering wheel on a non heated steering wheel car might work? More interested in that than I am the boombox but they may be variations of the same problem.

I guess if these features work by "simply" sending a cambus (or whatever Tesla use) message then turning on a heated steering wheel on a non heated steering wheel car might work? More interested in that than I am the boombox but they may be variations of the same problem.

It's possible that if it's a paid for upgrade then Tesla's servers might send a reset command to turn it off again unless they show it as being officially activated at their end.

If they didn't do that then what would stop a bunch of SR+ owners clubbing together for an hour's access to turn on the heated rear seats in all of their cars, for example?

It's possible that if it's a paid for upgrade then Tesla's servers might send a reset command to turn it off again unless they show it as being officially activated at their end.

If they didn't do that then what would stop a bunch of SR+ owners clubbing together for an hour's access to turn on the heated rear seats in all of their cars, for example?
More than that, they can detect the tampering and report it back to the mothership. There were some devices around that claimed to enable things by fiddling the canbus and they worked for... maybe weeks.. before Tesla implemented countermeasures (and those devices weren't cheap either.. a fool and his money etc.).

More than that, they can detect the tampering and report it back to the mothership. There were some devices around that claimed to enable things by fiddling the canbus and they worked for... maybe weeks.. before Tesla implemented countermeasures (and those devices weren't cheap either.. a fool and his money etc.).
I'm not sure whether those devices still work or not, but I know - as you say - that Tesla detected them and started flashing warnings to the driver that these devices "may cause malfunctions", or words to that effect.

If Tesla can detect them, they can (and probably do) also record that a VIN is "unblessed" from that point forwards, and any subsequent warranty claim that has an interaction with electronic systems (so, basically anything) could potentially be knocked back as "caused by third party modification". A pretty big risk to take.

Anyone managed to get a SC or mobile ranger to retrofit the PWS / enable Boombox?

There's a part for it - 1299965-00-A - and a service bulletin (in the States at least) SI-21-90-001 - for the official retrofit, so it ought to be possible.

Thing is though even if you get it fitted over here its still so hamstrung because of legislation. Can't change the sound of the horn, can only use it when stationary. Takes all the fun out of it for me.

Plus then your stuck with that stupid UFO noise when moving as well.

I'm personally not a fan of the ufo noise and am glad I don't have one in mine. I was contemplating a change to the Y recently, and I was looking at ways to disable it without any errors :rolleyes:

Alas, I didn't order so put an end to that wormhole.

Late to the party here and sorry if it’s been covered….but how do I know if my M3 has the speaker fitted? Mine was delivered in April 2020.

I’ve just seen a video on Twitter with the new sentry mode viewer where apparently you can talk through the speaker via the app when viewing sentry mode footage live. I’d definitely pay for the upgrade if it’s not already fitted.

Thing is though even if you get it fitted over here its still so hamstrung because of legislation. Can't change the sound of the horn, can only use it when stationary. Takes all the fun out of it for me.

Plus then your stuck with that stupid UFO noise when moving as well.
Thank goodness. Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone was able to choose their preferred novelty as a car horn. Urgghh