Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Brake Pads of Choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at upgrading the front brakes on my Model 3 SR+ from the tiny stock brakes to the OEM performance ones. I find the brakes just fade WAY too fast on the track, and the fronts seem to be the worst offenders. They were smoking pretty good last time, and looking at the size difference between the front and rear rotors, no wonder why. I also found the base and performance rear brakes have the same diameter, so not gonna bother with those just yet.

Anyhow, my question to those who run the performance brake setup, what pads do you recommend? Are the OEM pads decent, or should I not waste my time and buy something different from the get go? Looking for a good street and track pad that can fill both roles well as opposed to something 100% focused on track use. After all, 95% of my miles are on the street. Cheers!

OEM Pads are a waste. They just burn so quickly on-track. For a good compromise pad, I had decent luck with the RB X970 in the rear, but I am not sure how they would hold up on the front. Carbotech/Martian Wheels has a ton of different compounds available and they are relatively inexpensive.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
OEM Pads are a waste. They just burn so quickly on-track. For a good compromise pad, I had decent luck with the RB X970 in the rear, but I am not sure how they would hold up on the front. Carbotech/Martian Wheels has a ton of different compounds available and they are relatively inexpensive.
Thanks for the info, might just see if I can order the caliper without them, then!

I wouldn't recommend the XT970 for the front, they haven't held up well for me, lots of pad transfer and a soft pedal. My next outing will be with Carbotech XP24 up front and RB XT970 out back. Hoping for better results.

Reactions: GSP and MasterC17
I wouldn't recommend the XT970 for the front, they haven't held up well for me, lots of pad transfer and a soft pedal. My next outing will be with Carbotech XP24 up front and RB XT970 out back. Hoping for better results.
970 is not a full track compound. They held well for me in 20 minutes on the track today, but I let every 3rd lap to cool-down, because 4S 275 overheat too much, anyway.

What is your rotor size? Did you check rotor temperature?

Reactions: destructure00
I have a P3D- and after reading a lot of threads here, I ordered a set of Carbotech F/R XP12 (I was tempted by RP2, but tend to be aggressive on brake and wanted the higher temperature range of the XP12). Apparently the rear pads are not compatible with the standard brakes (parking brake wise), so I cancelled the order.

I will be putting in the MPP rotors (365 front, standard rear), keeping the stock calipers.
Car is daily driven (in sunny SoCal), with few autocrosses and track day per year. I do not intend to swap pads for street / track, and rarely use the brakes daily driving.

What is my next best pad option? Mismatch XP12 front and XT970 rear?

• Informative
Reactions: AdamMacDon
I have a P3D- and after reading a lot of threads here, I ordered a set of Carbotech F/R XP12 (I was tempted by RP2, but tend to be aggressive on brake and wanted the higher temperature range of the XP12). Apparently the rear pads are not compatible with the standard brakes (parking brake wise), so I cancelled the order.

I will be putting in the MPP rotors (365 front, standard rear), keeping the stock calipers.
Car is daily driven (in sunny SoCal), with few autocrosses and track day per year. I do not intend to swap pads for street / track, and rarely use the brakes daily driving.

What is my next best pad option? Mismatch XP12 front and XT970 rear?

Hmm, out of curiosity who said the rear pads are not compatible with the base brakes? The parking brake is built in to the caliper, as long as the pad fits, it shouldn't matter at all.

Honestly, I would recommend XP20 or XP24 in the front and XT970 in the rear assuming the XP12's won't fit in the rear. XP12's on the front will likely overheat, leave pad deposits, and be annoying and squeaky.

Hmm, out of curiosity who said the rear pads are not compatible with the base brakes? The parking brake is built in to the caliper, as long as the pad fits, it shouldn't matter at all.

Honestly, I would recommend XP20 or XP24 in the front and XT970 in the rear assuming the XP12's won't fit in the rear. XP12's on the front will likely overheat, leave pad deposits, and be annoying and squeaky.

I ordered from Martian and Drew called me to explain the rear pads vs standard brakes... He mentioned the rear pads need some "tabs" of sorts to have the parking brake operational (I haven't taken it apart so I don't know first hand). He suggested to chuck the wheels at the track as a workaround, which would only work if swapping pads for street/track of course.

I initially picked the XP12 based on your positive experience with the RP2 (~XP11LL).
I was a bit concerned with the lower end of the temperature range on XP20+ being higher, since I still need to use them on the street (emergency braking, etc). I need to research further.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at upgrading the front brakes on my Model 3 SR+ from the tiny stock brakes to the OEM performance ones. I find the brakes just fade WAY too fast on the track, and the fronts seem to be the worst offenders. They were smoking pretty good last time, and looking at the size difference between the front and rear rotors, no wonder why. I also found the base and performance rear brakes have the same diameter, so not gonna bother with those just yet.

Anyhow, my question to those who run the performance brake setup, what pads do you recommend? Are the OEM pads decent, or should I not waste my time and buy something different from the get go? Looking for a good street and track pad that can fill both roles well as opposed to something 100% focused on track use. After all, 95% of my miles are on the street. Cheers!

I'm going to be selling a set of front used MPP rotors that will work for your car and can also get you some pads. I think for your cars power levels and what you want to acheive it will work. Only issue is if you intend on running aero wheels rotors wont fit. Hit me up if your interested. Thanks

I ordered from Martian and Drew called me to explain the rear pads vs standard brakes... He mentioned the rear pads need some "tabs" of sorts to have the parking brake operational (I haven't taken it apart so I don't know first hand). He suggested to chuck the wheels at the track as a workaround, which would only work if swapping pads for street/track of course.

I initially picked the XP12 based on your positive experience with the RP2 (~XP11LL).
I was a bit concerned with the lower end of the temperature range on XP20+ being higher, since I still need to use them on the street (emergency braking, etc). I need to research further.

I guess it really depends on your driving style and how much heat you are going to get in the pads. The RP2's did work well for me (and continue to) and they should last a long time. However, the 140mph straights at VIR are overheating them often, which led to pad deposits on the rotor face and squeaking. Next time, I would buy the XP20 or XP24 to avoid this issue. How hard are your local tracks on brakes?

I'm going to be selling a set of front used MPP rotors that will work for your car and can also get you some pads. I think for your cars power levels and what you want to acheive it will work. Only issue is if you intend on running aero wheels rotors wont fit. Hit me up if your interested. Thanks
What size are the rotors? I have aftermarket 18's that can clear the stock performance brakes no problem.

• Funny
Reactions: Lucky13
Yeah I got the SR+, if you have the 365mm kit that means there is an adapter for the caliper I assume? DM me some pics of the rotors when you get a chance, as well as how many track days they've been through and what you're looking for price-wise!
Yes there is an adapter. Will do later today. Also just realized i sent you the wrong link it is the page mill big brake kit. My bad

Last edited:
I guess it really depends on your driving style and how much heat you are going to get in the pads. The RP2's did work well for me (and continue to) and they should last a long time. However, the 140mph straights at VIR are overheating them often, which led to pad deposits on the rotor face and squeaking. Next time, I would buy the XP20 or XP24 to avoid this issue. How hard are your local tracks on brakes?

I tend to push and drive hard. I have not been out yet to any of them, so hard to gauge. My previous fun car (miata) was dedicated to autocross and very uncomfortable on the freeway, so I never drove it out to the track.
Target tracks - Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla, Fontana - Maybe other folks that are familiar with these can chime in?

Another great brake thread - Racing Brake XT910 vs XT970

John Laughlin also had good success with UPP street/track pads at COTA from his Optima thread linked above.
I am tempted but haven't found much feedback from other less experienced drivers...

Finally, it looks like RB does not offer rear XT970 for standard non performance caliper, so that's that: BRAKE PADS - SELECT VEHICLE (OE) - TESLA - RacingBrake
MPP also doesn't seem to have a standard rear pad...

I am now between
1. XT970 front, XT910 rear
2. XP20 front, XT910 rear
3. UPP front/rear street and track

Decision decision...

32E6BC8E-CC85-492B-A3CB-CE134EE0B2BE.jpeg
A438336D-B9E5-4883-B842-CB1DECF1E8E1.jpeg
6B87A595-46EB-4D06-BE9D-0308EF8F847E.jpeg
finally install my bbk in the front and test with draggy at 2.61 @ 109 feet but the brake are new i will bed-in and retry soon :eek:)

Brembo b-m6 380x34