Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance improvements in Model S (and X) and price drops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the same boat...a "basic"S 75D now gets the same 4.2s 0-60 as a 2013 p85. Crazy.

Agreed, and within 0.2 seconds of the P85+ :cool: Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

upload_2017-7-2_9-34-10.png

I'm curious what hardware changes they've made.
Rumor I heard months ago is that all LDU's (Large Drive Units) have the P high current silicon, but were only tested to required power level (lower on the RWD 75.) That said, the 60-75 has always had inherent power limits since its 14 module pack is only 350V while the 16 module pack of the larger packs are 400V.

I doubt the cars were voltage or otherwise battery pack limited. Take 350 volts x 1200 amps and that's 420 kW, or 563 hp. 75 kWh at 6C discharge is 450 kW. 420 kW only requires 5.6C and the 75 kWh pack is actually a 75 kWh pack, unlike other models. The 90D has two of the smaller, 2nd gen motors and has a combined output of 386 kW, which is actually lower than the 75 kWh pack's capabilities. That only requires 5.14C. Given an amperage limit, the higher voltage would provide additional power. But at 386 kW, that's 1,100 amps, or less than the P85's draw which did not require a pyro fuse. I suspect the 75D is fully capable of what a 90D/100D can do, assuming identical inverters which is bundled into the drive units. Likely both vehicles are limited by either software or inverters. And technically, the software limit may be chosen for drive train reliability.

I've always been averse to leasing cars... but this makes me more likely to consider that (or stick with my plan to buy CPO as it's easier to see what was available in the past and what became available moving forward)

I bought CPO specifically because of this. I would rather get a car I know is obsolete and get the depreciation discount that someone else ate rather than pay full price for a brand new car and always be wondering in the back of my head when the latest innovation drops out of the sky and instantly makes my brand new car worth $20,000 less in a day.

Tesla now uses one foot roll out in all models, so that means, that on non P models the 0-60 times are not comparable with previous times, which lacked the roll out.

Correct. You have to always keep in mind that when Ludicrous was originally released, they changed from not using roll-out to using 1-foot roll-out to calculate 0-60 times. Model S made before Ludicrous was a thing actually have slightly faster than rated 0-60 times from a dig. The old 85D and 90D (non-P) actually can manage 0-60 in 3.8 and change, faster than the rated 4.2. Model S made after Ludicrous have about the rated 0-60 times from a dig. The Plood actually does manage 2.3 seconds 0-60 from both a dig and with a 1-foot rollout but you are sure going to be paying a big premium for that extra.

We
I don't see the price decrease.

I have been looking for a few months now at a basic S 75 with enhance autopilot. Same price.

Perhaps other options have decreased in price and that's what the OP is seeing in his configuration.

ll, since everyone disagrees, I guess I made a mistake about the price changing, and I apologize for that.
It is very odd, though, because I made a table of prices just a week ago to use at a car show. I kept the spreadsheet and the prices were higher than what I see now. But perhaps I had inadvertently selected some option last week that was not selected this week. If so, that was careless of me! Curious, though, because the difference is $2100 for the 75s, and I do not see any combination of options that would account for $2100.
Anyway, my error, and I am sorry if I confused anybody.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
I'm curious what hardware changes they've made.
Rumor I heard months ago is that all LDU's (Large Drive Units) have the P high current silicon, but were only tested to required power level (lower on the RWD 75.) That said, the 60-75 has always had inherent power limits since its 14 module pack is only 350V while the 16 module pack of the larger packs are 400V. The reduced voltage also reduces the maximum Supercharger power level. So I wonder, did they modify the 75 battery? Is it possible that they changed the configuration to raise the voltage? And if so, will Supercharging speed up for the small packs?

Or maybe, with all the incremental weight savings over the years, the 350V pack is now enough to pull off the reduced times with the single LDU setup as well as the small motor D pair.

I'm looking forward to seeing some 75kWh battery part numbers from the new cars.
Interesting idea that they may have changed the voltage to 400! Would save weight on cables and electronics and/or make the car run cooler and faster. Supercharge speed could be better too as you say, at least when an SC is shared between 2 cars, or otherwise overloaded and down on power. A single car charging SC probably already handles more current than any Tesla battery pack can handle.

Last edited:
If I was purchasing an older model year car with significant discount, not a problem. Elon is killing me. I am selling my Tesla.
Why not hold on to it for a year, sell it and but the latest one in 2018? You can lord it over all the people who bought in the 2nd half of 2017, whose cars will be almost 1 year old and clearly inferior

From Electrek ... Tesla upgrades its electric motor on the road to have powertrains lasting 1 million miles

We now learn that the new hardware includes an updated version of Tesla’s rear drive unit. The automaker builds 3 different electric motors: a main rear-wheel-drive motor, a smaller front-wheel-drive motor used in dual motor versions of the Model S and Model X, and another bigger “performance version” rear-wheel-drive motor.

After updating the performance specs this weekend, Tesla changed the parts number of its main rear-wheel-drive motor. Subsequently, all the versions affected by the upgrade are equipped with this motor, while all the vehicles without it, the Model S P100D and Model X P100D, haven’t received any performance enhancements.

The company didn’t want to comment on the new drive unit, but it would have to be a significant update since it’s enabling a quicker 0 to 60 mph acceleration by over 1 full second. Tesla’s drive units are built using a patented assembly process that includes having an electric motor, a power inverter assembly and a gearbox into a single, multi-piece enclosure – pictured above and below...

tesla-drive-unit-e1499180577668.png

• Informative
Reactions: David29