Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3: Excited or Disappointed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk on Twitter

0-60 in 3.5 seconds

I know months ago I had a few discussions/arguments that there is no way the Performance Model 3 will be as fast as the Model S P100D. This enraged some individuals. The most common argument was “the Model 3 is lighter so why wouldn’t it be faster?!” My answer was simple: marketing and placement. Every other company does it and it mostly reminds me of the artificial power/performance gap between a Porsche GT4 and GT3. A smart company simply doesn’t encroach on the flagship car’s performance with a lesser/cheaper vehicle.

Elon directly compared the Model 3 to the BMW M3 and stated it’s 15% quicker and handles better on track That’s a bold statement and extremely impressive if true. In addition to the Model 3 Performance upgraded 20” wheels and sportier tires I’m going to state that the suspension must have been upgraded as well.

What are your thoughts?! Excited or disappointed?!

I personally am impressed. 3.5 seconds is what I guessed a long time ago as claimed/advertised performance, and 3.1 seconds actual street performance (we’ll hopefully find out soon if that holds true)

Even if it’s as advertised 3.5 seconds is properly quick for $78K!

Matches my expectation in terms of price and 0-60 performance.

But, we honestly don't really know a whole lot about it.

Does it have better brakes?
Does it have any suspension changes?
How many laps can it typically do without slowing down dramatically due to heating?
Does it have better seats with side bolsters (seems like it's a no so far)?

If the answers are largely negative to the above then the 0-60 speed increase doesn't really motivate me to spend so much more for it.

Reactions: geometro
I'm disappointed. It's certainly what a lot of people expected, but I personally expected more especially for that price increase.

I'm thinking about holding off on the purchase now to hear reviews about real world handling and performance.

How many laps can it typically do without slowing down dramatically due to heating?

If the answers are largely negative to the above then the 0-60 speed increase doesn't really motivate me to spend so much more for it.

I'm hoping for all of the above plus......a HUD for eyes-out performance driving.

Honestly, for the premium they are charging, all of what you mentioned should be on the P.

Elon directly compared the Model 3 to the BMW M3 and stated it’s 15% quicker and handles better on track That’s a bold statement and extremely impressive if true. In addition to the Model 3 Performance upgraded 20” wheels and sportier tires I’m going to state that the suspension must have been upgraded as well.

What are your thoughts?! Excited or disappointed?!

Ahh, can't wait for the Motor Trend Head2Head performance EV M3 on ICE M3!

Even if it’s as advertised 3.5 seconds is properly quick for $78K!

I wonder why price difference between 100D and P100D is much (much much) bigger than M3 fullly loaded vs. PM3. They probably could make PM3 even more expensive, but probably they just want a hc smackdown on the ICE M3.

I wonder why price difference between 100D and P100D is much (much much) bigger than M3 fullly loaded vs. PM3. They probably could make PM3 even more expensive, but probably they just want a hc smackdown on the ICE M3.
They are marketed toward two different audiences. Any more expensive and people will simply buy quick ICEs. Actually worried that they priced the performance version too high. While, of course, they are going to have demand for it right now, it's demand from people who were going to buy an EV anyway.

If Motor Trend does a head to head and the Model 3 is amazing then it'll be great. If it's just so, so, then Tesla is going to have a harder time getting people to switch to an EV and justify that extra cost.

Reactions: dgaultiere
Considering this is in line with the Porsche Mission E specs, that's still quite a feat.

The Mission-E is much faster than 155 mph, currently in the 180 mph range at least and its 0-60 time is 3.2 sec (don't confuse the 0-100 km/h time), and specs are expected to be even quicker for the production version next year upon release. Though good, the Performance version Model 3 is not in the same league at all.

I'm excited. 0-60 in 3.5s was exactly what I was expecting. Price is about $10K higher than what I hoped for, but I was prepared for $80K. I am wondering about the 20" wheels durability and tire price, but I can live with it.

I agree, I think the brakes and suspension upgrades are a must with the track performance claim. I’m thinking it must also have an upgraded battery cooling system. The seats are wishful thinking but my fingers are crossed. They actually just changed the Model 3 seat to what seems to be less bolstered to fit larger individuals.

Excited for the speed and most likely better road handling with AWD. Worried how much stiffer will be the ride on 20" wheels and with the presumably sportier suspension.
The 21” Michelin Super Sport tires on my arachnids improved the ride imo over the 19”. I think it’s a matter of much better tire tech that I’m sure we’ll find on the Performance 20” Model 3 wheels.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Ahh, can't wait for the Motor Trend Head2Head performance EV M3 on ICE M3!

I think the P100D is much more expensive simply for bigger margin purposes that customers are willing to pay for the absolute best performance. Think Porsche 911 Turbo S vs a regular Carrera, about $100K difference in price for a relatively similar model.

The Mission-E is much faster than 155 mph, currently in the 180 mph range at least and its 0-60 time is 3.2 sec (don't confuse the 0-100 km/h time), and specs are expected to be even quicker for the production version next year upon release. Though good, the Performance version Model 3 is not in the same league at all.
I agree they’re in two totally different categories, but if the Mission E comes out looking like a Panamera Porsche is screwed