Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that is fine. Aero helps, everyone knows that (but the worse your tires, the less aero helps, in terms of miles of range)! But look at Troy’s spreadsheet and compare the 20” to 18” without Aeros. It’s a much larger delta than Aeros vs no Aeros. I guarantee you it is not due to the weight difference (which is something like a total of 12 pounds for all 4 wheels combined (and yes, sure, the location of the weight affects the moment of inertia calculation...but my guess is it doesn’t change that much %-wise) between the 20” and the 18”!

Anecdote: I have a friend who is running 265 section width PS4S tires on really nice light 18” wheels (well under 20 pounds I think) and his efficiency is AWFUL even when not at freeway speed where the wheel “poke” from the wider wheels will hurt him. He routinely gets 350-400Wh/mi in San Diego. With no heat he is at 330-350 or something. Hard to draw conclusions since driver habits matter a lot too. But it doesn’t look good for the tires!
With wheel/wheel well area accounting for 30% of the drag on an average vehicle one could assume that its even greater for the model 3 than the average car, wider tires = more drag, light weight wheels =thin spokes with maximum drag and of course the tires with much more rolling resistance from wider tread and sticker compound have to make a large difference but what is the range loss when someone puts identical size 235 ps4s tires on 18" with aeros vs. aero caps on and off? does anyone have that info?

Just another data point. 310 miles is achievable in the P3D+, it is just much harder to get there versus the LR which was downrated from 334.

I averaged 253 Wh/mile (~296 mile total range when extrapolated) roundtrip on my commute to and from work this morning, and half those miles were between 70-75mph. I also had the A/C running and my car has wider 275mm sticky tires in the rear. Driving style and outside temp make huge differences.

IMG_6237.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Just another data point. 310 miles is achievable in the P3D+, it is just much harder to get there versus the LR which was downrated from 334.

I averaged 253 Wh/mile (~296 mile total range when extrapolated) roundtrip on my commute to and from work this morning, and that was with A/C on most of the time and I'm running wide 275mm sticky tires as well. Driving style and outside temp make huge differences.

View attachment 367101
It's easy! you just have to drive downhill both ways :)

• Funny

I averaged 253 Wh/mile (~296 mile total range when extrapolated) roundtrip on my commute to and from work this morning, and that was with A/C on most of the time and I'm running wide 275mm sticky tires as well. Driving style and outside temp make huge differences.

View attachment 367101

In the Model 3 LR, any variant, 240 wh/mi is the EPA number. It's achievable, but kinda boring. :D

I can't bring myself to read 16 pages...

Regarding the title of this thread: It's this simple... You are driving your P3D wrong if you're looking to get the full 310 miles out of it. You just are. Every "Performance" vehicle has an EPA rating, but it's more of a "the best case scenario" rating because you're not supposed to drive a Performance vehicle like your Grandma.

In the Model 3 LR, any variant, 240 wh/mi is the EPA number. It's achievable, but kinda boring. :D

~75,000Wh battery/310 miles = 242 Wh/mi

I really only ever care about efficiency on my boring commute or perhaps on future road trips. The vast majority of the time I'm out enjoying my performance car like it was meant to be enjoyed. It's still roughly 600% more efficient than my last car... which is plenty good enough for me.

Reactions: hoang51 and Dan_LA
~75,000Wh battery/310 miles = 242 Wh/mi

I really only ever care about efficiency on my boring commute or perhaps on future road trips. The vast majority of the time I'm out enjoying my performance car like it was meant to be enjoyed. It's still roughly 600% more efficient than my last car... which is plenty good enough for me.

same here, just couldn't take and accept 200 miles in a long road trip for a 310 miles advertised car.

Dan - It comes down to the fact that the EPA drove the car differently in their testing than you do.
That could be true for any car, right?

I know you got EPA or better on all the other cars you have had (not sure how you did that) but for this one except for the tire pressure, its true.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan_LA
It's not an issue. It's expected. real world range for Performance Model 3 is around 225-235 miles.

Unless you always drive under 55 with the heat and AC off.

This is exactly why I did not purchase the performance model 3 with 20" tires that they force on you. The aero wheels alone give the car a 10-15% boost over the 19" wheels on the interstate, so with the 20", you'll see a 20% reduction.

Tesla must fix this.

So sick of people telling me I'm driving my car wrong...

Attached is a pic of the trip meter after driving today.. Never over 65, normal to slower acceleration, heat on 68. I started the day at 270 miles range View attachment 367159

Yea, I'm in the Boston area, that 30F has a LOT to do with your wh/mi today. COLD KILLS RANGE. Before we get into any discussions about driving style....is it cold? Yes? Then almost anything else is moot. Let's pick this talk back up in April. LOL

So sick of people telling me I'm driving my car wrong...

Attached is a pic of the trip meter after driving today.. Never over 65, normal to slower acceleration, heat on 68. I started the day at 270 miles range View attachment 367159

Looks pretty normal for a winter drive to me, figure 30% loss due to cold and if you have the P3D then another 10%, puts you right where I see your range. Hope you made it!

Does chill always show power limit dashes?

Those dashes are from his battery state. Output is severely limited with a very low battery state.

Status
Not open for further replies.