Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of 2016 90D verses P85D verses P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently in the market for a used 2015-2016 Tesla S, but having a hard time on deciding which version I should go for. For my price point, I can get the newer looking 90D which has better range or I can go for more performance with a P85D or P90D version. My question - am I getting a noticeable performance difference with a P models verses the 90D? I heard the 90D is plenty fast and not much noticeable difference in acceleration. I have not driven them to compare, but would be grateful if anyone has some thoughts on this subject. Thanks!

Well... I have zero actual experience.... But in my research, which I have done a ton of..... I think the difference is quite noticeable between the performance models and just a 90D. Even without ludicrous you are looking at a 3.2 or 3.0 (P85D/P90D) vs a 4.2 to 60mph on paper. Now I have heard the performance stats (for the actual 'P' models) are skewed slightly to include a 1 foot rollout but even without it is almost one full second of difference. Not so much if we are talking a 8 to 7 second drop to sixty miles per hour but a huge difference going from 4 seconds down to 3. This gets into feeling the G forces in your cheek and in the pit of your stomach. And Ludicrous drops another few tenths off for a sub 3 second to 60 sprint. With all that being said, the 90D is plenty fast, but a dual motor performance model is on another playing field. Good luck in your decision!!

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Performance on all the older Model S is borked right now because of the battery voltage capping scandal.

My P85D is now more like an 85D. A P90D may only be impacted by the fact those packs were terrible to begin with. So don’t expect a 2.6, 2.8, or even 3.2 second car.

The good news is there isn’t a huge jump in price from an 85D to a P85D. Not sure about the 90 series.

I live in Norway, plenty of Tesla owners here, I don't have impression of any reason not to buy.

You'll always find more whining of forums, and the minions of those who shorted Tesla stocks here.

I can tell you that I've never had so much pleasure to own And drive a car before, and plan to upgrade to 2020 model S next year.

Yes, that "scandal" would be nice to hear about, my charges to about 4.2 v per cell, and works as always.
Not all P90D s got the older/worse packs.

There is a 300+ page thread over in the Model S charging forum. Basically the cells in the older packs are being limited to < 4.1 v after a software update.

No one seems to know what triggers it but it impacts 60, 75, and 85 packs for sure. As I said, I think the 90 packs are immune but tend to suffer from their own premature degradation issues.

Voltage capping affects high end power limits, especially on the L ludicrous cars. You won't notice it on the acceleration as that is torque limited. The P models all have higher torque limits, hence better 0-60 times. The existing P rear motor is significantly bigger, allowing for more torque. In a year or two Tesla will move to two small motors in the rear like the new roadster has.

The difference in acceleration is significant. Non car people will say the non P is fast enough. Most on this forum are car people.

You can compare here.

Last edited:
I have a 14 p85d non ludi and I still pull 3.1 to 60. I had a 13 p85 which ran 0 to 60 in 4.1 which is around where the 90d is at. The performance is a huge difference. When we were looking at which car to buy (purchase in May as coo from Tesla) we know we. Aged the performance. The price difference isn’t all that much and at the end of the day I enjoy having the extra perf when I what it or not.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Since you’re coming from an ///M, you *need* the P(85/90/100)D! No two ways about it. :)
As others have stated, the rear P motor is bigger. Yes, I’ve suffered the range reduction due to battery-gate (“lost” ~7mi after the software update), but am still loving my P85D.

Huge performance difference between a P and non-P. I have a P85D. The extra 1 second shaved off 0-60 from a 90D on a P85D is head spinning. I always leave my car in Sport mode because it's more than enough in 99% of my daily "driving fix". Insane mode on rare special occasions only. I tried the P100D last year and at 2.5 seconds 0-60, I get tunnel vision, part blacked out, and that's "merely" 0.6 seconds shaved from the P85D's 0-60. I'm good with the P85D for now....very, very good. :))

Check this out from another P85D owner comparing it to a 75D (which is about the same as a 90D) Just drove a loaner 2015 P85D (L?) today ..... OMG.........

Last edited:
  • Informative
I have a 2016 90D and I chose to go with more range over performance. I've never driven one of the performance model's so I don't know what I'm missing in terms of that experience but I will say the regular 90D is no slouch. I took it took a drag strip a few weeks ago and I was able to reliably do 12.5 sec 1/4 miles.

One second difference in a 0-60 comparison is a night and day difference. It's a different beast.
For the average person, I would say the biggest impact that a P90D or P90DL has over the 90D is passing cars on the freeway. Yes, it has incredibly faster 0-60. But, day to day driving, you'll notice it most on the freeway. It just cruises by other cars with ease.

I was in your same situation not too long ago. I splurged and got the best of both worlds (for my situation), a 2016.5 P90DL, which also has the refreshed front end, etc. I justified it because I was saving on fuel cost, getting a newer car, and it also has warranty. And, bye bye misc maintenance expenses. As I explained to my wife, there aren't really any performance mods you can add. I've modded all my cars, because I can't leave well enough alone. The Tesla is pretty perfect the way it is. Just tint, floor mats, and minor upgrades.

To me, as a die hard car guy, the Performance model is so worth it.

Performance on all the older Model S is borked right now because of the battery voltage capping scandal.

My P85D is now more like an 85D. A P90D may only be impacted by the fact those packs were terrible to begin with. So don’t expect a 2.6, 2.8, or even 3.2 second car.

The good news is there isn’t a huge jump in price from an 85D to a P85D. Not sure about the 90 series.

That's a bit overstated. Even if you're capped to 90% of original capacity and you were already charging to 90% daily, then you just set your new max to 100% which is the old 90% and your power will be the same as it was before. And since max kw isn't any more at true 100% vs true 95% there's only a 5% range that in max power that you're giving up if you're capped to 90% of your existing capacity.

Even if you don't take that route and you just compare new 90% to old 90%, there's about a 20 hp loss as compared to before. The battery is still pulling 1525 amps in Ludicrous mode with batterygate 16.1 +.

Also, if you're in the market for a P90DL, keep in mind that version 1 and 2 of the 90 battery are also 1525 amps just like the P85DL. Version three bumps up to 1600 amps making about 500KW vs V1 P90DL, V2 P90DL, and P85DLs 458KW max.

• Informative
Yes, that "scandal" would be nice to hear about, my charges to about 4.2 v per cell, and works as always.
Not all P90D s got the older/worse packs.

The aforementioned issue is concerning the 85 packs. The V1 90 packs had their own REAL actual degradation issue vs the "scandal" where Tesla is artificially capping access to existing range and preventing you from charging to full.

There is a 300+ page thread over in the Model S charging forum. Basically the cells in the older packs are being limited to < 4.1 v after a software update.

No one seems to know what triggers it but it impacts 60, 75, and 85 packs for sure. As I said, I think the 90 packs are immune but tend to suffer from their own premature degradation issues.

Some are limited to as low as 3.9 volts. It varies from 40 miles of loss up to only just a few miles of loss.