Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm the !sorka in that I absolutely love my firmer suspension and dislike the current P100D ride :(

i'm with you.

i just sold my Dec 2014 P85DL+. i want the P100D with the new AP2 hardware. however, i'm really afraid i'm going to drive the P100D and be very disappointed in the spongy suspension. i suppose i should test drive it first, even tho this will be my 3rd Model S.

i'm even more afraid of taking delivery in March, and then they announce the return of the + suspension!!! that would be my nightmare.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Just a minor point of clarification. Thr P85+ suspension and early P85D "firm" suspension aren't the same parts. The dual motor car units look different (especially the front unit) and, of course, the cars weigh more. The damper tuning is definitely different between the two even if Tesla chose to label it the "+" suspension (on the P85D) for some period of time.

So you really have (for air spring cars): RWD non + cars, RWD + cars, early P85Ds, all other Dual motor cars. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there are one or two other undocumented running changes in there since the dual motor cars launched. The coil spring cars may only have two variants: RWD non + and dual motor.

I sort of think Tesla should have fine tuned to accomodate the lighter weights of the 60 cars vs 85s, etc. Adjustable/active dampers would be nice in the future.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
From reading the forums, some people love the early P85D suspension and some people don't (too harsh)...but most people love the P85+ suspension.....

My fear is I never had the opportunity to test drive the CPO (Dec 2014 build P85D) I ordered. So I will have to live with what I get.

I test-drove the Dec/14 P85D I'm buying, and even though it was a short test drive (20 minutes or so) I didn't feel a noticeable handling difference from my P85+, in fact, if anything, I'd say the P85D was slightly less firm. But that could be anything -- the dual motors, the winter tires (on 21" rims), the next-gen seats, or 20k fewer miles.

Reactions: Andyw2100
I test-drove the Dec/14 P85D I'm buying, and even though it was a short test drive (20 minutes or so) I didn't feel a noticeable handling difference from my P85+, in fact, if anything, I'd say the P85D was slightly less firm. But that could be anything -- the dual motors, the winter tires (on 21" rims), the next-gen seats, or 20k fewer miles.

So what is your time-frame for finally becoming a P85D owner? :)

Has anyone had Tesla do the Performance Plus suspension upgrade mentioned in this article?

Tesla Model S Peformance Plus Option Now Available for $6,500; Retrofits Offered Too - Inside EVs

They quote $13,500, but that includes all new 21" rims and tires. What if you don't need the rims/tires, will they install just the mentioned parts:

* 2 x Rear lower control arms with revised stiffer bushings
* 2 x Rear upper links with revised stiffer bushings

Or even better yet, do you think it's possible to buy those parts and have a non-Tesla shop install them?

Late to the party.... But I did it myself.

Front sway bar is a nightmare.

Rear swaybar requires you to drop the motor out of the car

So you really have (for air spring cars): RWD non + cars, RWD + cars, early P85Ds, all other Dual motor cars. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there are one or two other undocumented running changes in there since the dual motor cars launched. The coil spring cars may only have two variants: RWD non + and dual motor.
There were actually a spectrum of changes for the early cars, both on air and coils. As 2013 wore on many of the P85+ bits made it across the entire line. My VIN (25k range) has the subframe that launched as part of P85+ along with some of the other minor P85+ parts. lolachampcar's investigations were pretty interesting in this regard ( [lolachampcar] Performance Upgrade Efforts ). So, depending on the actual VIN, you may have more or fewer parts that need replacing to match a real P85+. Notably, though, lola suggested leaving out the sway bars, which he found to be excessive.

Besides that, if I recall correctly, most of the performance gain was down to a single part (front dampers, I think?). Could be a lot of 3rd-party-shop bang-for-the-buck available there.

Reactions: DIL
I expect you know this, but it was only the P85Ds with 21" wheels that were staggered. The 19" wheels were never staggered.

Our our 2/24/2015 vehicle production date Insane 2015 P85D+ with non-staggered wheels 21" silver Turbine wheels. While the staggered wheels would look cool I'm really happy being able to rotate our non-staggered wheels front to rear to even our tire wear.

And an epilogue on this subject.

I just bought the Dec 2014 P85D, VIN P638xx that I was considering (yay me!).

Nowhere on the spec sheet, MVPA, or window sticker does it say "Performance Plus", which worried me and which is why I started this thread. I had the previous owner look for the proper part number on the front shock tower, and it was in fact the performance part as we talked about earlier in this thread.

It took a couple of days, but I finally got the car transferred in MyTesla, so I could log in and retrieve the full option code list via the API.

And voilà , it does, in fact, have the coveted PX01 option code.

So once and for all, that confirms there is a big disconnect between the PX01 option code existing, and whether or not "Performance Plus" appears anywhere else.

Thanks for everyones' input on this. I'm one happy camper!

I guess just to add my data to this thread. I have a March 2015 P85D vin 70XXX and i do not have the PX01 option code but under my api and i've checked physically, i do have performance plus. Although just going to mention, my P85D came with 19s so maybe PX01 only shows up if it has the performance plus parts AND the 21 staggered. Since i've seen some non staggered performance plus cars and im going to assume that those will not show up as PX01.

And an epilogue on this subject.

II finally got the car transferred in MyTesla, so I could log in and retrieve the full option code list via the API.

And voilà , it does, in fact, have the coveted PX01 option code.

So once and for all, that confirms there is a big disconnect between the PX01 option code existing, and whether or not "Performance Plus" appears anywhere else.

Thanks for everyones' input on this. I'm one happy camper!

Congratulations on your P85D+ !!! Welcome to the Unicorn Tesla Club !!! :D

How do I find the "full option code list" in MyTesla for my inventory 2015 P85D?

What does the (S) # denote?

The (P)# on my loaner car matches but my (S)# does not match the photos in this thread.

I assume this car does have + suspension it freaking rails corners but I can tell it eats tires for 3 meals a day! It has 10k and almost down to the tread wear bars but since it is a loaner I am not surprised.

Has anyone had Tesla do the Performance Plus suspension upgrade mentioned in this article?

Tesla Model S Peformance Plus Option Now Available for $6,500; Retrofits Offered Too - Inside EVs

They quote $13,500, but that includes all new 21" rims and tires. What if you don't need the rims/tires, will they install just the mentioned parts:

* 2 x Rear lower control arms with revised stiffer bushings
* 2 x Rear upper links with revised stiffer bushings

Or even better yet, do you think it's possible to buy those parts and have a non-Tesla shop install them?
Cant imagine how fast your gonna go thru Michelin Pilots in a Tesla... They MIGHT go 5000 miles

Cant imagine how fast your gonna go thru Michelin Pilots in a Tesla... They MIGHT go 5000 miles
That's why I run Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2s. The Pilots are expensive crappy tires, where you're really just paying for a brand name and "marketing" for a mediocre tire, at best. The Hankooks last significantly longer with better performance and lower cost.

That's why I run Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2s. The Pilots are expensive crappy tires, where you're really just paying for a brand name and "marketing" for a mediocre tire, at best. The Hankooks last significantly longer with better performance and lower cost.

I have a P85+ and am looking to replace the rear Michelin PS2s with either the Hankooks or the Falken Fk510s. I only put 8000 miles on them and am around 3/32 on the inside. Any issues with mixing front and back tire brands or do I need to replace all 4? Does the Hankooks grip as well as the PS2s? The PS2s are super noisy as well. Couldn't find the hankooks in the OEM staggered size of 265/35/R21. Did you go with 275/30/R21?