Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Range Now Listed as 322 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
The AWD LR Model 3 is now listed as 322 miles and the Performance was listed as 310 miles, due to the larger tires. But now the Performance is also listed as 322 miles. Just like with the previous 310 miles of range for both versions, this just isn't possible that they have the same range because of the tire configurations. What the heck Tesla?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The more recent software updates (and I gather advertising) seems to take into account wheel and tire configuration. Tire contact patch size and adhesion do make a big difference in efficiency/range. They also make a big difference in performance (0-60, cornering, etc.).

Okay I forgot that they put the "Stealth" Performance as the default now. But it's interesting that with the upgrade package the range dropped from the past listed 310 miles to 299 miles, with the same 20" wheels.

There are tons of threads on this and discussions in articles online (use Google to find them). The old 310-mile number applied to the 20” Performance vehicle is from the 2018 Tesla Fremont test of the Performance with 18”. (Tesla did not test the 20” version and submit the results to the EPA.) This was allowed initially by the EPA in 2018 because the take rate of the 20” configuration is below 33%. That allows them to just use the 18” number.

Anyway, they are doing things right this time (though there is still some residual weirdness - they are using 2020 5-cycle results to obtain the two-cycle scalar for the 20” range, while not doing so for the 18” - for that, they are using same scalar from before, scaling the 2020 results by the scalar based on 2018 5-cycle results). It is apparent from this thread and others that that is the right thing to do, since few people appreciate the impact of tires and the aero wheels, and don’t understand the EPA rules. Tesla tested and calculated the range for all three vehicles appropriately configured, this year.

In 2020 Performance vehicles you can update the rated range between 299, 304, and 322 miles by selecting a different wheel configuration from the service menu (20”, 19”, 18”, respectively). All UI selections have the same available energy and actual range, assuming no actual hardware changes, of course. In all Model 3 vehicles (including 2018, 2019 vehicles), changing the wheel configuration in the menu changes the underlying assumptions of the trip planner, and will have an impact on its projections (highest consumption for 20”).

Last edited:
The old 310-mile number applied to the 20” Performance vehicle is from the 2018 Tesla Fremont test of the Performance with 18”. (Tesla did not test the 20” version and submit the results to the EPA.) This was allowed initially by the EPA in 2018 because the take rate of the 20” configuration is below 33%. That allows them to just use the 18” number.

The Performance with 18" wheels only got 310 miles, shouldn't it be more? The Model 3 AWD LR with 18" wheels gets 322 miles now.

The Performance with 18" wheels only got 310 miles, shouldn't it be more? The Model 3 AWD LR with 18" wheels gets 322 miles now.

No. In 2018, it got 310 miles. That was before apparent efficiency improvements.

In, 2020, the Performance 18” got 332 miles, because it was more efficient than the 2020 AWD. It is voluntarily reduced to 322 miles to match the 322 miles the AWD got.

The basic summary is here:

2020, 2019, 2018 Model 3 Battery Capacities & Charging Constants

This is one weird thing about Tesla. They're always f*cking with the software and the configurations, so it's hard to compare one to the next. They don't follow the traditional model year paradigm. They just sort of update and change things whenever they feel like it.

Sounds like with the Model S/X they actually made a pretty major battery change a few months back and then just last week flipped the switch to turn it on. So people who bought just before the change got screwed and people who bought just after got a free upgrade they didn't even know was coming.

This could happen with the 3 as well. Some hackers found evidence of slightly larger and smaller batteries listed in the firmware. No one really knows if those batteries are actually out there in the world already or if they're in the firmware for some future release. If you bought your 3 recently you might have a bigger pack then you think and Tesla could flip a switch and you'll magically have more range.

If you only have 200 miles range on your 3P+ without flogging it.... I don’t know what to say. What’s your ambient temp?

190-200 miles is a fair average from my experience on my P3D+. I have 48k miles on it. Yesterday I dove from Boston to NYC. Trip was about 220 miles and I charged to 100% (well it would only go to 99%). About half way car said I would not make it. I hit a SC with 20% battery and 60 miles to go, so 160 mile drive took 80% battery, thus 100% would have given me exactly a 200 mile range.

Ambient temp was about 45 degrees and was driving normal highway speeds with AP on. Only stop was for 10 minutes at a rest stop, so no real non driving loses and car was preconditioned when I left.

190-200 miles is a fair average from my experience on my P3D+. I have 48k miles on it. Yesterday I dove from Boston to NYC. Trip was about 220 miles and I charged to 100% (well it would only go to 99%). About half way car said I would not make it. I hit a SC with 20% battery and 60 miles to go, so 160 mile drive took 80% battery, thus 100% would have given me exactly a 200 mile range.

Ambient temp was about 45 degrees and was driving normal highway speeds with AP on. Only stop was for 10 minutes at a rest stop, so no real non driving loses and car was preconditioned when I left.

What was your Wh/mi?