Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. I don't know what all the fuss is about this. Track mode should be made available at no cost for all performance models because... performance. Duh. It should be a moderately priced upgrade for lower trims which would have the knock on effect of generating additional revenue for Tesla.

For us P3D- owners, we already have given additional revenue to Tesla. Our lower trim level is the same price that PUP people are paying or getting a refund for.

Reactions: Roys3 and Perry
I just like this comment because it reminds some that Performance cars had a premium price even before they had the additional cost for wheels, tires, etc,,, since that was the start of this historic thread
Yes. I am one of those people that called Tesla to confirm that the $5000 upgrade was a cosmetic upgrade. My biggest concern was that there would be a suspension difference as handling in corners is important to me and they said that they didn't think there was any difference in the suspension. A few weeks ago when I was in for service I had the guy look up the parts and cost of a post-sale performance upgrade (before the Elon tweet about including it for free) and he stated that there were different suspension components also.

No he created this mess when he gave away the performance parts for free to everyone except a certain group of performance customers then further said track mode would come to all performance models but it didn't. This emplyies that P3D- is not a performance car. We should get, at minimum, the option to at least downgrade to AWD with a refund.

We just want to be treated the same as everyone else. We just want to see Elon actually do what he promised.

Keep in mind we paid the same 11k more that everyone else did and some people did so after the tweets.
Let me start by saying I am in the camp that P3D- got screwed (I own one and was very disturbed that my car lost $5000 of value literally the day after I got it back from being in service for 2 weeks to correct several defects). But what you are saying is unreasonable. We paid the extra money for the 3.5s 0-60 time so asking for all of that back to a price in line with an AWD 4.5s 0-60 car is an unreasonable ask.

Reactions: heems
There are @Perry ‘s everywhere.

Those guys would have turned on track mode the day the software downloaded.

Teen was driving 116 mph seconds before fiery crash that killed him and friend, NTSB says

Of course it wouldn’t of mattered if the car was PUP/Non PUP to them but opening up TM for anyone to turn on would be a disaster.

How is Tesla going to ensure the car has at least the right hardware?

By default 3P- is as well equipped as a 3MR when it comes to wheels, tires, braking, suspension, etc?
Right. It’s a problem with any P and careless driver. Hence the disclaimers.

Reactions: Perry and Msjulie
Right. It’s a problem with any P and careless driver. Hence the disclaimers.

Inappropriate parts would exacerbate and compound the problem on top of general carelessness.

3P+ at least leaves the factory with suitable hardware.

If it isn't clear, it's not like I want 3P- owners to get the short end of the stick. I am pointing out the problems which would make it a big issue for Tesla to release it, no matter what Elon tweeted.

I passed by the Costa Mesa SC yesterday and the entire facility is a giant parking lot. Hundreds of Teslas there. I knew the 3P- retrofit isn't really looking to be possible.

For those who want track mode, you might need to exchange cars to make it happen. I could be wrong - but its just down to risk/reward, probability/statistics.

Minimizing losses would be taking delivery of 3P+ before end of year, and selling the 3P- right at the start of the new year.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
All due respect MXWing, thats just being argumentative,. That is ONLY a $15K loss, maybe more. You are loosing at least 5k in value selling your 3P- because of the price change, plus the penalty for selling a used car, call it another 3K, plus selling a car that is a model year older, 2K, plus you've lost your sales tax on the first car, 5k, plus you have to pay sales tax again on the new car, another 5k. So "minimizing" your loss to get track mode equals 30% the cost of the car.

For $15-20K I would just take Tesla to court. Depending on your delivery time frame and how it coincided with public statements from Elon/Tesla it could be pretty cut and dry. As a P3+ owner I dont have that predicament, though given I took delivery 6 days before the price change, I do want $5k back. If I have to take Tesla to small claims court I will surely forfeit the $150 in filing fees to do so. It will cost Tesla a lot more to have a representative show up to court a couple times.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
All due respect MXWing, thats just being argumentative,. That is ONLY a $15K loss, maybe more. You are loosing at least 5k in value selling your 3P- because of the price change, plus the penalty for selling a used car, call it another 3K, plus selling a car that is a model year older, 2K, plus you've lost your sales tax on the first car, 5k, plus you have to pay sales tax again on the new car, another 5k. So "minimizing" your loss to get track mode equals 30% the cost of the car.

For $15-20K I would just take Tesla to court. Depending on your delivery time frame and how it coincided with public statements from Elon/Tesla it could be pretty cut and dry. As a P3+ owner I dont have that predicament, though given I took delivery 6 days before the price change, I do want $5k back. If I have to take Tesla to small claims court I will surely forfeit the $150 in filing fees to do so. It will cost Tesla a lot more to have a representative show up to court a couple times.

I understand the numbers. It's not a great option, but it is *A* option. It would have been cheaper to buy the PUP insurance like I calculated back in June - months before all this came to head.

My upfront route was expensive as well. 5000 + the cost of changing over to new wheels and tires. I prefer 18/19 inch all seasons versus running 20 inch summer tires 24/7.

Small claims court limit is $10,000 but Tesla is offering the $5,000 back in exchange for losing your free lifetime FUSC.

We've covered it many times that we signed a contract. Tesla owes us nothing, legally.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying I am in the camp that P3D- got screwed (I own one and was very disturbed that my car lost $5000 of value literally the day after I got it back from being in service for 2 weeks to correct several defects). But what you are saying is unreasonable. We paid the extra money for the 3.5s 0-60 time so asking for all of that back to a price in line with an AWD 4.5s 0-60 car is an unreasonable ask.
I don't consider delivery complete until I get my car back from service for the "Due Bill". Is this incorrect?

Last edited:
3P+ at least leaves the factory with suitable hardware.

Tires would seem to be the biggest deal to me... granted the racers we used to use were light weight front driving ICE cars but the biggest deal for us was track ready pads, small (shortish) rims w/fat sticky tires. All the safety gizmos were turned off/removed.

The biggest danger in any car, IMHO, is the nut behind the wheel.

No he created this mess when he gave away the performance parts for free to everyone except a certain group of performance customers then further said track mode would come to all performance models but it didn't. This emplyies that P3D- is not a performance car. We should get, at minimum, the option to at least downgrade to AWD with a refund.

We just want to be treated the same as everyone else. We just want to see Elon actually do what he promised.

Keep in mind we paid the same 11k more that everyone else did and some people did so after the tweets.
Indeed - Elon Musk on Twitter
Unlike with Trump and his public wall, the private "Elon administration" must follow his tweets! Do it now!

I think your delivery is complete once you sign the papers and take possession. The due bill is an incentive for you to take delivery before everything is to your satisfaction. (Has you car been titled?)
I'm not sure I haven't made the first payment yet. I have been in a loaner longer than I had the car while it waited to go in for service. I think so though, it has to be titled to get plates right? I got the plates a while ago.

For us P3D- owners, we already have given additional revenue to Tesla. Our lower trim level is the same price that PUP people are paying or getting a refund for.
Yes - We could use some new definitions...
P+ : People with Performance 3's who contribute the most revenue to Tesla - i.e. PUP-less (and track mode-less) owners.
P- : People with Performance 3's who contribute less revenue to Tesla - i.e. new owners who got everything "gifted" to them, and old PUPsters who got a $5K windfall or FUSC (and track mode) "gifted" to them.

Maybe we should discount their "contributions" to this thread accordingly? :)
I mean fat and happy people, who have contributed less to Tesla, have less skin in the game, should be less vocal, no? :)

My car was damaged on the way back from the body shop addre
P+ : People with Performance 3's who contribute the most revenue to Tesla - i.e. PUP-less (and track mode-less) owners.
P- : People with Performance 3's who contribute less revenue to Tesla - i.e. new owners who got everything "gifted" to them, and old PUPsters who got a $5K windfall or FUSC (and track mode) "gifted" to them.

I mean fat and happy people, who have contributed less to Tesla, have less skin in the game, should be less vocal, no? :)
Huh?

• Funny
Reactions: MXWing

Also - it is quite rare, and quite bad business practice, to have those that contribute the most to revenue - get the least! :(

A08B375B-32FB-4ACF-B2FD-8F6B71FCB72A.jpeg