Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was the only proper action, so good on Elon for making it happen. I'd propose we can use this moment to take another step forward as a community:

There is one "Performance Model 3" with options.

One option was FSD, another is EAP, and then there was a Performance Upgrade Package. There's no "stealth" or "minus" or "plus." One can argue it's much, much easier to change tires and brakes (and a spoiler or pedals) than add a lot of the other packages Tesla has had over time. A Model S P85D without air suspension isn't a P85D_. Can we stop that, especially now that they all cost the same price?

Elon has always linked the $5,000 refund to Free Unlimited Supercharging. FUSC on any Performance Model 3 has the exact same value. The discount was not linked to the Performance Upgrade Package. Tesla may not have had its communication in order, but it got there. I said this on the night of the tweets and I'm glad to see Elon clarified what he meant.

I'm quite shocked so many people were adamant about "only the people who paid for the upgrade got hurt."

There is only one Performance Model 3. True track racers are going to swap out those tires and rims from the "Performance Upgrade Package." Tire and brake options don't need a new acronym. Tesla will give them both Track Mode (you'll see) and has just established they're being treated identically for this pricing adjustment.

I, for one, still love the option of 18" Aeros and 19" Sport Winter tires on my Performance Model 3 aka plain old P3D. I'm not changing my signature if I change my tires or calipers. :)

There is one "Performance Model 3" with options.

I got used to my signature :) so not sure I can change it just yet..

Truth be told my car is not so stealth anymore cause:

Received email from Tesla that my Dual Motor badge is available

and

side.jpg

and soon-ish some fancy new rotors!

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 51
This is the part I’m curious about. It seems like it would have been better to put the money in a regular IRA since tax rates are lower than they’ve ever been in your lifetime right now. Unless you were able to pull a Mitt Romney and put some special assets in your Roth. I’m not familiar with how that works.
This is much more interesting than this thread. Haha.

Actually it isn't that interesting. I'm quite sure that he didn't make the contributions to his Roth IRA in the past year or two. He made them at a time when it appeared likely that his tax rate at retirement would be higher than his tax rate at the time he made the contributions. Which would have been true at most points in the past (i.e. when people actually made these decisions that generated the Roth IRA they have today) and actually still now today could be true depending on your specific financial situation.

Reactions: Roys3
Prepare to add another 20 pages to this thread. I'll update the modified flowchart when I get a chance.

Model 3 owners still fall on the bottom of most scorned Tesla owners I believe.

Here's the new updated list of most screwed over Tesla owners:

1 - Those who took delivery of S/X AP1 cars right before AP2 release.
2 - Those who leased AP2 cars at introduction.
3 - P85 owners who missed the window for ludicrious upgrade.
4 - 60D owners who unlocked their batteries too early.
5 - 3D owners who could have gotten Performance for much cheaper.
6 - 3P+ owners with white seats and keeping FUSC

Actually it isn't that interesting. I'm quite sure that he didn't make the contributions to his Roth IRA in the past year or two. He made them at a time when it appeared likely that his tax rate at retirement would be higher than his tax rate at the time he made the contributions. Which would have been true at most points in the past (i.e. when people actually made these decisions that generated the Roth IRA they have today) and actually still now today could be true depending on your specific financial situation.
Most people expect to be earning less in retirement than they do while working though. I'm pretty sure marginal federal tax rates for high earners have been on a downward trend (with some occasional upticks) for the nearly a century . Granted it does not seem like that will continue given our national debt. It seems like he would have been better off contributing to a regular IRA so he could take advantage of his current super low (zero?) taxable income.
The real question is how you can save enough money for retirement using only a Roth given the low contribution limits? Any ideas?

Most people expect to be earning less in retirement than they do while working though. I'm pretty sure marginal federal tax rates for high earners have been on a downward trend (with some occasional upticks) for the nearly a century . Granted it does not seem like that will continue given our national debt. It seems like he would have been better off contributing to a regular IRA so he could take advantage of his current super low (zero?) taxable income.
The real question is how you can save enough money for retirement using only a Roth given the low contribution limits? Any ideas?

Yes, most people will make less in retirement than they did in the last few years of working but that's not the time period when most of the money was made on the investmentss. The time period that matters is early to mid career and depending on your work situation most people will have a higher tax bracket at retirement and make more in retirement than compared with those time periods. That's the attraction to a Roth.

And yes, marginal tax rates for high earners have been trending downwards (however I completely agree with your comment about whether this is sustainable). That's not however the comparison that matters for this question. What matters is whether tax rates would go down so much so that the following were true:
(marginal rate for the higher income level in retirement at future tax rates) < (marginal rate for early or mid career income level at the tax rates at that time)

And that seems highly unlikely but obviously depends tremendously on your individual situation and type of work you are in.

Well there goes @Knightshade's argument.

This is a funny contrast to the next two.

Knightshade will by by to explain how he predicted it all along

and

This is where @Knightshade chimes in and says this is what he was arguing all along. With the bold text of course. ;)

Since it appears opinions on what my argument actually was vary greatly. to the point of complete opposites.

In any event,

Complainers gonna complain

and get a $5000 refund on something they never bought too... so good on them I suppose :)

As other folks mentioned- now the AWD owners need to demand their $5000 "devaluation", or the 6k P unlock option... (in fact at least one guy replied to Elons tweet asking for exactly that already)

After that happens the RWD guys can chime in for their share of relief.

Also worth noting in Elons tweets- someone asked again about Track Mode for the -... he said
Elon Musk said:
Probably Jan

Which, again, supports the idea it requires software mods to work with the different HW (brakes especially).

Course that's Elon time, so who knows, but at least confirms it's still coming.

This also locks down the P3D- as the best bang/buck model 3 (before this I'd have said the AWD was best bang/buck)- shame they stopped selling em.

Bet they'll be really popular in the used market though.

Yes, most people will make less in retirement than they did in the last few years of working but that's not the time period when most of the money was made on the investmentss. The time period that matters is early to mid career and depending on your work situation most people will have a higher tax bracket at retirement and make more in retirement than compared with those time periods. That's the attraction to a Roth.

And yes, marginal tax rates for high earners have been trending downwards (however I completely agree with your comment about whether this is sustainable). That's not however the comparison that matters for this question. What matters is whether tax rates would go down so much so that the following were true:
(marginal rate for the higher income level in retirement at future tax rates) < (marginal rate for early or mid career income level at the tax rates at that time)

And that seems highly unlikely but obviously depends tremendously on your individual situation and type of work you are in.
Ah but the AMT exemption phase out makes marginal tax rates super high for me and many other people in the Tesla demographic. I still feel like a regular IRA is a better choice for most people or more likely a combination of both. Having zero taxable income in retirement seems like a poor strategy if you're paying income tax on that money while you're working. Another issue with a Roth IRA is that who knows what type of taxes there could be in the future? If we replace some income tax revenue with a value added tax people with Roths may be worse off.
But how can you save enough money if the Roth contribution limit was only $2k-$6k over the last thirty years?

As other folks mentioned- now the AWD owners need to demand their $5000 "devaluation", or the 6k P unlock option... (in fact at least one guy replied to Elons tweet asking for exactly that already)

Unless Tesla wants to admit the Performance cars don't really have special-magically-confirmed motors, they probably won't offer the same power unlock but maybe sometime a little in between?

Reactions: Knightshade
This is a funny contrast to the next two.

and

Since it appears opinions on what my argument actually was vary greatly. to the point of complete opposites.

In any event,

and get a $5000 refund on something they never bought too... so good on them I suppose :)

After that happens the RWD guys can chime in for their share of relief.

Also worth noting in Elons tweets- someone asked again about Track Mode for the -... he said

Which, again, supports the idea it requires software mods to work with the different HW (brakes especially).

Course that's Elon time, so who knows, but at least confirms it's still coming.

This also locks down the P3D- as the best bang/buck model 3 (before this I'd have said the AWD was best bang/buck)- shame they stopped selling em.

Bet they'll be really popular in the used market though.
Actually, I think P3D PUP is the best bang/buck since they can replace the tires and brakes (sell the tires) and come out ahead of the Stealthers. Which goes back to our argument. But I think we've beat that to death, and will continue to do so.

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie