Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That wasn't my question. I don't doubt that they won't do it for free. Much easier to refund $5k. Parts should be available for some price through service though, wheels certainly are, rotors are a wear item, so they must be as well. A damaged caliper can't be replaced? So the car is totaled?

No, not totaled. You pay the service center and they will replace it (or do so free under warranty if relevant)

But they won't put on parts that never came with the car- and they won't sell you most parts by themselves.

So if you want to try and invent your own retrofit kit you'll likely be doing it with parts off one or more wrecked P3D+ cars.

I’m too lazy to find my post, but I predicted this a month ago. Tesla can’t offer a free upgrade as an option because of the issue of the redundant parts. A program to reuse or sell would be a PITA for them. Letting owner keep them would be inequitable.

So, that leaves a paid upgrade. Tesla service centers and loaners are maxed out with cars that need to be repaired and annual service. I can understand that they do not also want to be a performance shop providing optional upgrades. It is not a good use of their time... a misappropriation of customer service.

For the few people who want a “do over” on their original decision not to buy the PUP, just take the 5k gratefully and install your own performance parts. It may cost you more than 5k but you will have an extra set of wheels/tires to use or sell.

I’m too lazy to find my post, but I predicted this a month ago. Tesla can’t offer a free upgrade as an option because of the issue of the redundant parts. A program to reuse or sell would be a PITA for them. Letting owner keep them would be inequitable.

So, that leaves a paid upgrade. Tesla service centers and loaners are maxed out with cars that need to be repaired and annual service. I can understand that they do not also want to be a performance shop providing optional upgrades. It is not a good use of their time... a misappropriation of customer service.

For the few people who want a “do over” on their original decision not to buy the PUP, just take the 5k gratefully and install your own performance parts. It may cost you more than 5k but you will have an extra set of wheels/tires to use or sell.
I was really hoping this wouldn't be the case but you were right. I expressed my further concern about long term support of the car as a Performance product. He couldn't give me any assurances. They sold us all a product knowing full well that they wouldn't support it in the future. What a massive kick in the balls...

I was really hoping this wouldn't be the case but you were right. I expressed my further concern about long term support of the car as a Performance product. He couldn't give me any assurances. They sold us all a product knowing full well that they wouldn't support it in the future. What a massive kick in the balls...

Not sure what "support" you're looking for? Warranty repairs will still be done even on models no longer being made/sold.

Other than track mode, which has been promised for the P-, what else were you expecting?

Not sure what "support" you're looking for? Warranty repairs will still be done even on models no longer being made/sold.

Other than track mode, which has been promised for the P-, what else were you expecting?
Until Track Mode is released we have nothing. Promises dont mean much to me. Follow through is everything.

More importantly, what about Track Mode 2.0? or some other feature they'll drop in the future that becomes PUP only? I bought a Performance Tesla because of their history for continued support and upgrades to the car beyond simple maintenance and warranty. They are known for it. It's the thing that sets them apart from the rest of the competition.

Until Track Mode is released we have nothing.

You had a 1 second quicker 0-60 time compared to AWD owners.

Which is literally all Tesla said the car would have when originally introduced/announced.

Promises dont mean much to me. Follow through is everything.

Sure. And since they did later promise to deliver it I'd certainly be upset, and want them held accountable, if they don't deliver it.

I've not seen any indication they've gone back on the promise yet though.

More importantly, what about Track Mode 2.0? or some other feature they'll drop in the future that becomes PUP only?

What if Barbie had a hand grenade?

Being upset you might not get things that don't even exist doesn't seem to make much sense.

I bought a Performance Tesla because of their history for continued support and upgrades to the car beyond simple maintenance and warranty. They are known for it. It's the thing that sets them apart from the rest of the competition.

I'm not sure what examples you're thinking of?

Track mode doesn't even exist at all for P versions of the S and X.

NON P versions got free uncorking on both though.

You had a 1 second quicker 0-60 time compared to AWD owners.

Which is literally all Tesla said the car would have when originally introduced/announced.

Sure. And since they did later promise to deliver it I'd certainly be upset, and want them held accountable, if they don't deliver it.

I've not seen any indication they've gone back on the promise yet though.

What if Barbie had a hand grenade?

Being upset you might not get things that don't even exist doesn't seem to make much sense.

I'm not sure what examples you're thinking of?

Track mode doesn't even exist at all for P versions of the S and X.

NON P versions got free uncorking on both though.
Free HW3 upgrades for autopilot is one example... by your logic nobody should be getting any HW3 upgrades at all, let alone for free. Or how about Ludicrous mode upgrades? Whether free or paid its still offered to P Model S.

Its funny to me that folks like you are always saying how great and different Tesla is from other car companies but then you go out of your way to make them look like everyone else when it's convenient for your argument.

Tesla is either a pro consumer car company trying to boldly change expectations of car ownership or they are just another car company focused on the bottom line and keeping their share holders happy. So which one is it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Roys3
Tesla is either a pro consumer car company trying to boldly change expectations of car ownership or they are just another car company focused on the bottom line and keeping their share holders happy. So which one is it?
They are probably a little bit of both. When Elon gets involved Tesla is a pro consumer car company trying to boldly change expectations. When Elon is not paying attention in a certain area (i.e. customer service, delivery experience, QA, etc.), Tesla devolves back to just another sub par car company.

This is why its so important to get Elon's attention to Tesla's failings.

They are probably a little bit of both. When Elon gets involved Tesla is a pro consumer car company trying to boldly change expectations. When Elon is not paying attention in a certain area (i.e. customer service, delivery experience, QA, etc.), Tesla devolves back to just another sub par car company.

This is why its so important to get Elon's attention to Tesla's failings.
That's ultimately a problem for me. My experience thus far is with the latter half, not Elon. My attempts to get Musk's attention have all failed as I don't have the influence needed to get on his radar.

As an average consumer its frustrating. With my Audi I was always treated very fairly. They even would invite me to special invite only events to test drive unreleased models. If something was wrong they took care of it, no questions asked. So far all I've gotten with Tesla is a hand in the face followed by "Be happy you have a Tesla. Thanks for helping us create a sustainable future!" it's insulting to say the least. The people I have worked with who are nice and genuine like the service manager and store rep have no power to do anything. That's the worst kind of company in my opinion.

Reactions: Roys3 and Perry
The thought that more than a handful of people would "clog up" service centers with caliper installations is pretty funny. I believe the majority are taking the cash and bolting. Seems to me you guys are thinking of it as an all or nothing mandate affecting thousands. Regardless if there’s better equipment available after market, one should be able to buy 4 calipers and rotors from Tesla if they really want to.

Reactions: Roys3 and Perry
The thought that more than a handful of people would "clog up" service centers with caliper installations is pretty funny. I believe the majority are taking the cash and bolting. Seems to me you guys are thinking of it as an all or nothing mandate affecting thousands. Regardless if there’s better equipment available after market, one should be able to buy 4 calipers and rotors from Tesla if they really want to.
This definitely doesn't affect thousands. It does affect a hundred or two. From a goodwill perspective it seems obvious to retrofit and move on just like they are doing with HW3.

I'd consider purchasing a retrofit package if they offered it assuming it would ensure my car continues to be treated as a Performance and not some bastard step child. But the indication I got was that they have no interest in that as an option whatsoever. That's the real tragedy. They might convince enough of us to get the $5k back if they did.

It’s not a clogging issue. Actually the small numbers are worse! They’d have to train people who may end up doing 0 or 1 installs. It’s an issue of diverting attention to something that is distracting. I really don’t understand the issue here. They’ve fixed the $ problem, they’ve committed to track mode, and people who already decided once not to get the PUP just have to buy and install their performance parts elsewhere.

Reactions: Perry
It’s not a clogging issue. Actually the small numbers are worse! They’d have to train people who may end up doing 0 or 1 installs. It’s an issue of diverting attention to something that is distracting. I really don’t understand the issue here. They’ve fixed the $ problem, they’ve committed to track mode, and people who already decided once not to get the PUP just have to buy and install their performance parts elsewhere.
Good point on the training aspect. I didn't think of that. So long as my car is and always will be treated the same way as any P3D rolling off the line today i'm happy. I just wanted that assurance.

I totally agree with you here because I don't like the stock performance parts Tesla offers, but the argument was that with aftermarket parts Tesla may not treat you the same as if you where a P3D+ for future Track Mode enhancements and even warranty. For example if a lower control arm breaks and you have aftermarket suspension, they may blame it on your third party mods instead of taking ownership of the problem had you only had stock PUP parts. The point is a valid one although I am willing to take that chance just because I want better parts.

Reactions: caskater47
Free HW3 upgrades for autopilot is one example... by your logic nobody should be getting any HW3 upgrades at all, let alone for free.

...what? Of course they should, since it's required for a feature they already paid for in advance

Unlike the imaginary features that don't even exist you're worried you can't get, and never paid for.

That's apples and canaries.

Or how about Ludicrous mode upgrades?

You worry a lot about things that don't even exist for your car. That's kinda weird.

That said, since there's no difference at all in the parts that enable quicker acceleration between P+ and P- there'd be no reason to think the imaginary feature if it ever exists would care which P you have.

Its funny to me that folks like you are always saying how great and different Tesla is from other car companies but then you go out of your way to make them look like everyone else when it's convenient for your argument.

Can you cite where I did that specifically, or are you just throwing out random comments at this point?

You're really not making much sense at all here...

This is a company that just gave $5000 refunds to owners for an option package many of them never even bought in the first place.... show me "another car company" who does something like that.

And you're whining that you are afraid you might not be able to get features that don't even exist for any version of the car.[/QUOTE]

Don't be upset guys. I'm not. I was upset for quite a while, but now I feel good that I'm out. It's nice to just sit back and watch developments, and strike at a used Roadster when the time is right. I learned from Tesla that reserving early and buying (biting) at their early carrots is stressful and financially stupid.

Obviously there is no real "double FUSC". It's a made-up term to help describe a particular situation (someone else called it "Indian Giving"). - You know like: "Have we got a limited-time special deal for you!" - then suddenly everyone gets the same deal - then, in order to not get gypped on "the new" price, you need to give up your "special deal".

Of course "you can't please everyone". Only MY trust in Tesla Admin gone. You all should keep yours.
Tesla just lost one Roadster sale. Who cares? (Tesla obviously doesn't.) Nobody NEEDS a Roadster. (Tesla gives 'em away like hotcakes anyway. Maybe I'll buy one of the surplus "free" ones.)

From my perspective Tesla screwed up (a bunch of times actually), but not my problem anymore...

PS: If all this is "unreasonable", then I'll take the epithet. "Roy The Unreasonable" :D "Vines the......"

https://electrek.co/2019/01/18/tesla-increases-supercharger-prices/

• Love
Reactions: Roys3