Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally agree with you here because I don't like the stock performance parts Tesla offers, but the argument was that with aftermarket parts Tesla may not treat you the same as if you where a P3D+ for future Track Mode enhancements and even warranty. For example if a lower control arm breaks and you have aftermarket suspension, they may blame it on your third party mods instead of taking ownership of the problem had you only had stock PUP parts. The point is a valid one although I am willing to take that chance just because I want better parts.
I’d say the warranty issue is a valid concern but legally they’d have to prove that the modifications caused the failure . The track mode “orphan” issue has two dimensions. On one hand, Tesla does not have a history of abandoning any hardware config. I have a 2012 S and I still get software updates that include new features. On the other hand, they do have a long history of providing new hardware that enables new software features. I’d say it is more likely that there’s new performance hardware in a couple of years that enables new track mode features. And none of today’s Ps would support it.

Reactions: Perry
I’d say the warranty issue is a valid concern but legally they’d have to prove that the modifications caused the failure . The track mode “orphan” issue has two dimensions. On one hand, Tesla does not have a history of abandoning any hardware config. I have a 2012 S and I still get software updates that include new features. On the other hand, they do have a long history of providing new hardware that enables new software features. I’d say it is more likely that there’s new performance hardware in a couple of years that enables new track mode features. And none of today’s Ps would support it.
It's also very possible that P3D already has seen that hardware refresh you're talking about by including free PUP but instead of it taking a year or two to roll out like a normal product does it took less than 60 days into production.

There's no reason for any of us to think otherwise and if we're being honest with ourselves we should expect that to be the case. They discontinued our hardware config for good reason. Speaking as an engineer it makes more sense for Tesla to treat non PUP models as tweaked AWD at this point than it does to treat them as a P3D.

It's also very possible that P3D already has seen that hardware refresh you're talking about by including free PUP but instead of it taking a year or two to roll out like a normal product does it took less than 60 days into production.

I don't believe there's any evidence of this based on actual PNs in the catalog (and backed up by pics recent builds have shown on the motors)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

There's no reason for any of us to think otherwise and if we're being honest with ourselves we should expect that to be the case. They discontinued our hardware config for good reason. Speaking as an engineer it makes more sense for Tesla to treat non PUP models as tweaked AWD at this point than it does to treat them as a P3D.
Huh, so you suspect that there are 2 PUP hardware sets? One initial and one upgraded? I sincerely doubt it! No evidence of that.

Look, here’s the fact now that “binning” has been pretty much debunked. ALL Ps are tweaked AWDs. Some with some additional performance parts and some not. Those with the performance parts have track mode. Those without are supposed to get it shortly. We don’t know yet if it is same or different track mode. We don’t know if Tesla will ever release improvements to track mode or other performance features that require PUP. Suggest you hold your horses on paranoia of persecution until we have more facts. It could be you will legitimately feel screwed in 2 years. Or maybe not. Do you really want to spend 2 extra angry years that may be unwarranted?

More price changes. Revive the thread?

I just configured my car again - as close as possible anyway since I have an obsolete P3D (-).
The verdict: No longer a mere $5K down. Now $9.7K down.
How long has it been since delivery? 5 months. (So $1.9K per month.)
Sure pays to wait or buy used! At least Elon tweeted this would be the last price drop on Model 3 - small consolation...

Last edited:

I just configured my car again - as close as possible anyway since I have an obsolete P3D (-).
The verdict: No longer a mere $5K down. Now $17.8K down.
How long has it been since delivery? 5 months. (So $3.6K per month.)
Sure pays to wait or buy used! At least Elon tweeted this would be the last price drop on Model 3 - small consolation...
While I wish I had waited the additional eight months to buy I am happy enough at this point, provided they deliver all the same firmware upgrades to my Stealth the same as any other P3D. In that regard I feel lucky. I paid a little less than some and now have better parts than the current stock (PUP) version.

Reactions: Roys3
While I wish I had waited the additional eight months to buy I am happy enough at this point, provided they deliver all the same firmware upgrades to my Stealth the same as any other P3D. In that regard I feel lucky. I paid a little less than some and now have better parts than the current stock (PUP) version.
I'm happy with the car too. :) Not worth fighting for the money anymore...

Reactions: caskater47

I'm still happy since I got a P3D- which you can't order any more and I like having the aero wheels. Also your math leaves out some things:

I paid 65k for my P3D- and after the full $7500 rebate the cost was $57500. Then Tesla sent me a check for $5000 reducing the cost to $52500.

Same car today can't be purchased but the price of a P3D after rebate today is $54250, so my car was still $1750 cheaper. Granted I don't have aluminum pedals, or larger brakes or a spoiler and wheels, but I actually didn't want any of that stuff, and it's definitely not worth 5k in my book.

Reactions: MacGreiner
My Stealth is only down $6k and Tesla gave me a $5k refund (granted I don't have the brakes or wheels) but it seems fine to me.

NEW:
upload_2019-3-1_19-24-33.png

OLD (Sept 18):
upload_2019-3-1_19-28-15.png

Last edited:
I'm still happy since I got a P3D- which you can't order any more and I like having the aero wheels. Also your math leaves out some things:

I paid 65k for my P3D- and after the full $7500 rebate the cost was $57500. Then Tesla sent me a check for $5000 reducing the cost to $52500.

Same car today can't be purchased but the price of a P3D after rebate today is $54250, so my car was still $1750 cheaper. Granted I don't have aluminum pedals, or larger brakes or a spoiler and wheels, but I actually didn't want any of that stuff, and it's definitely not worth 5k in my book.
Right. Everyone's math is slightly different, depending on options and whether they got the $5K (I didn't).

• Funny

Did you calculate the price with federal rebate being $7,500 5 months ago, and half that today?

On the other hand, why do you keep configuring your after you bought it? Evidently it makes you feel bad about your car, so why do it? All tech products get better and cheaper, nothing new here.

Did you calculate the price with federal rebate being $7,500 5 months ago, and half that today?

On the other hand, why do you keep configuring your after you bought it? Evidently it makes you feel bad about your car, so why do it? All tech products get better and cheaper, nothing new here.
Good to see the old thread alive again. :D
a) My particular calculation does not include the tax stuff, because I never got that tax break.
b) Checking the new configs is fun for me, I don't know if it will be in my favor or not (pricewise usually not). Sometimes though, like when they cancelled my silver color, or this new range and performance "unlock", I see things I like.

• Funny

Maybe he wants to buy a second? Maybe Tesla will start doing BOGO sales next year.

Also, cars aren't a typical tech products, not to mention they cost considerably more than a smartphone or computer. When you have a high value product like a 60k car with wild price fluctuations it's generally considered bad for the market.

Reactions: Perry