Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to see the old thread alive again. :D
a) My particular calculation does not include the tax stuff, because I never got that tax break.
b) Checking the new configs is fun for me, I don't know if it will be in my favor or not (pricewise usually not). Sometimes though, like when they cancelled my silver color, or this new range and performance "unlock", I see things I like.

Can you elaborate how it’s possbile not to get the federal tax credit? Did you not pay any federal taxes?

Can you elaborate how it’s possbile not to get the federal tax credit? Did you not pay any federal taxes?
Right. I bet there are others in my boat who bought the car but didn't qualify for the tax rebate.
I don't think Tesla should price their cars to the vagaries of tax policies anyway, but that's just me.
I'm retired, relatively asset-rich but income-poor (just some airbnb income). That's why.

Reactions: rickjames
If it's fun for you, why say this?

You should need no consolation for having fun ;)
Driving the car is fun.
No more devaluation bombs makes me glad too - i.e. small consolations make me glad. :cool:
And I'm REALLY glad the $35K Model 3 is now reality! :)

PS: I would price the Performance 3's to compete with Porsche. Entry-level Teslas should maybe be a whole different model? Just throwing that out there...

PPS: Speaking of "devaluation bombs" - did you see what happened with the P100D and the other S's?

Last edited:
Reactions: dww12
Right. I bet there are others in my boat who bought the car but didn't qualify for the tax rebate.
I don't think Tesla should price their cars to the vagaries of tax policies anyway, but that's just me.
I'm retired, relatively asset-rich but income-poor (just some airbnb income). That's why.
If your tax liability was less than $7500, you should have paid $0 taxes for the year (i.e. get any taxes you paid refunded to you).

Driving the car is fun.
No more devaluation bombs makes me glad too - i.e. small consolations make me glad. :cool:
And I'm REALLY glad the $35K Model 3 is now reality! :)

PS: I would price the Performance 3's to compete with Porsche. Entry-level Teslas should maybe be a whole different model? Just throwing that out there...

PPS: Speaking of "devaluation bombs" - did you see what happened with the P100D and the other S's?
Yes, I saw the one from Taiwan. 50% off. :rolleyes:

I have pretty mixed feelings, especially considering they are still working on issues caused by delivery issue fixes and it's been 5 months of which almost 2 months it was in the shop.

It certainly would have been worth waiting. Now we get to lose out on the free FSD upgrade too. But that second kick to the nuts just does not hurt as bad as the first.

Once the full federal rebate goes away Tesla will drop the price another $2-4k. Some of these people are going to lose their minds when that happens.
Nah we are used to it by now. I just hope I can start paying it off faster than it drops in value at some point, and that is not even including regular depreciation!

As it is now I need to pay about an extra 2k a month to keep up with depreciation!

I hope we are nearing the end of repricing. Demand is not an issue. (And if it will be, $2k in option pricing discount isn’t going to push anyone over the edge) The business should now turn any additional costing efficiencies internally to further build out SCs, servicing and plain old profit.

We have quite a few rare people on this forum. Me? I’m well done!
Ha! I thought I was done a while ago, but for some reason I'm still here...
I once sailed around the world on a $20K boat for 6 years on $14.66 per day. That's living on $5.4K per year.
I try to match my income to my expenses for tax reasons.
Elon "is worth a reported $20 billion, but the official salary he currently receives from Tesla is far more modest: The CEO earns just around $37,000 per year." At that income, with family and all, he probably pays next to nothing in taxes. :eek:
Didn't he take only $1 in salary for a while? If he doesn't sell his stock, or have other income, that's his taxable income and the EV tax credit won't do him any good. :D

Once the full federal rebate goes away Tesla will drop the price another $2-4k. Some of these people are going to lose their minds when that happens.
The problem is that the only reason I got the car when I got it was because I thought it would be saving me $7500 in rebates that a future purchase would not. If they keep lowering the price to match the lost rebate then buying early was not the good deal that it appeared to be. Had I known the rebate loss would be matched by Tesla in the future I would have waited till they ironed out the build quality problems which I still have to struggle with on my car (tons or rattles, squeaks, panel alignment issues, etc.). So yes I do regret buying when I bought. Had I had the knowledge I have now I would have bought my Model 3 in 2020 not 2018.

I repeat: " I would price the Performance 3's to compete with Porsche." -
OK, maybe not as expensive as THAT Porsche. (over $300K) :D
Looking at this video, the build quality still has not improved. May be faster than the Porsche, and that's great, but no match on build quality.
Poor Build.png

• Funny
Reactions: juanmedina