Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about alternative brand. Drove model s for 3 yrs and love the little 3 driving wise. Totally burnt out by customer service from delivery experience to service to corporate - all been disaster. Been 2 months and still waiting for my registration refund. Tesla charged for registration and then later asked me to register myself.
You (and others) have me thinking I might want to dump my car too, but I doubt I will be able to do a buyback unless they keep it for a month, maybe I will get lucky as they are busy and it had a good amount of minor issues. I feel like they are treating myself and others poorly, unfairly even, by refunding P3D+ buyers but P3D- gets nothing, it would have been better if they gave no one back anything (I'm happy P3D+ people are getting their money back, just mad at tesla for handling the situation they created so poorly), and because the whole delivery fiasco, QC issues etc. It's something that will never sit well with me, even if I keep the car. Less than 10 days of having the car and I'm tired of the company.

I would have to go back to something like a chevy volt or maybe an ICE like a camry. I don't like the chev bolt seats and an Ipace will be out due to financial loss on the 3. It will have been my worst purchase ever if I sell it, but on the other hand I won't have to deal with Tesla anymore.

I don't believe track mode is that strictly tuned to one specific set of hardware. I don't believe that's how it works. The road conditions themselves can vary more than the hardware. I think it is a lot more generalized than you think since that's how Elon engineers stuff. Similar to how his auto pilot is a generalized neural network unlike the competition. Track mode senses the behavior of the car and acts accordingly. A proper system adapts to the conditions observed and is not rigid. I think the only technical restriction might be to have dual motors since the system needs to adjust front and back wheels independently. So theoretically track mode should work on AWD too but they won't release it to keep P premium.

Tesla is just selling a track/performance spec that they validated, vouched and warrantied for.

Once the car is in your hands, you can do anything you want with it but that is no longer Tesla's problem.

We know track mode WILL work with more than one set of hardware, but Tesla has to have a default they certify out of the box.

You (and others) have me thinking I might want to dump my car too, but I doubt I will be able to do a buyback unless they keep it for a month, maybe I will get lucky as they are busy and it had a good amount of minor issues. I feel like they are treating myself and others poorly, unfairly even, by refunding P3D+ buyers but P3D- gets nothing, it would have been better if they gave no one back anything (I'm happy P3D+ people are getting their money back, just mad at tesla for handling the situation they created so poorly), and because the whole delivery fiasco, QC issues etc. It's something that will never sit well with me, even if I keep the car. Less than 10 days of having the car and I'm tired of the company.

I would have to go back to something like a chevy volt or maybe an ICE like a camry. I don't like the chev bolt seats and an Ipace will be out due to financial loss on the 3. It will have been my worst purchase ever if I sell it, but on the other hand I won't have to deal with Tesla anymore.

Tesla is treating everyone like *sugar* right now. I've been an owner since 2016. They owe me $1,000+tax on my FSD upgrade. The moron who handled my ticket said I took a NEW 2016 Model X in 2018 and missed the cut off so I'm out on the promise credit?

Really? I wrote emails which went nowhere. I had to call Tesla to verify there was a record in the system for all my grievances. They did find it, so it gives me some measure of hope they will get to me eventually.

Owners who had the original Roadster are still getting shafted in the customer service hell because they don't have their support together.

I think things will improve in time. It's positive for Tesla ownership in the long run if they keep getting hounded to produce and sell cars like they are doing.

Tesla is pretty crazy... but also pretty hot.

10 hot.. 10 crazy.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and Jedi2155
I said the same thing in different words.

No, you did not.

What you ACTUALLY said was

"I don't believe the P3D- brakes are any smaller than the +"

Thing is- they ARE smaller. Physically. The rotors specifically.

The rotors are what matters not the calipers.

They both matter, for different reasons, but since both are different between the P- and P+ your claim remains factually incorrect.

Yep I agree. But tires are replaceable. Does that mean if a P3D+ gets all-weathers, they should have track mode revoked?

I said the same thing.

You really didn't. You can tell by reading what I actually quoted you saying.

I don't believe track mode is that strictly tuned to one specific set of hardware. I don't believe that's how it works.

But as we've seen- many things you believe are not actually true in fact.

Now certainly they could have the car detect, based on VIN, the factory HW the car came with if they wanted to offer TM on the P- and AWD cars- and then adjust its settings accordingly.

But random aftermarket HW? Nope.

Seefor example all the folks who end up with worse braking performance when they slap some random aftermarket BBK on without thought to the factory brake proportioning valve.

Changing parts matters quite a bit in how a system performs with its other parts.

I took delivery of my P3D- on October 26th. 3 hours later, I learned that the P3D+ would cost the same as my P3D-. No problem, I could return my P3D- for no charge (1 day for full refund) and buy the P3D+ for the same price. Less than an hour later, Elon Musk tweeted that 3P owners (Did not specify PUP or not) would either get either free lifetime supercharging or $5000 but free lifetime supercharging removed if you had it before, so I decided not to return my P3D- and waited for a refund or upgrade to free lifetime supercharging instead. That sounded like a nice compromise.

I sent an email to tesla customer support today explaining my situation. I am waiting for a response. If they come back with with blanks, then I will be extremely disappointed. Will I still enjoy my car? Yes. Will I regret not returning my car for a full refund because I read a tweet from Elon Musk? Yes. I also upgraded to FSD which could also turn out to be a dud (if I don't get the upgraded chip promised by Elon Musk).

I'll leave it up to Tesla CS to decide my fate but I don't like to look of things based on previous responses. In the end, it's about $8000 (PUP+FSD) probably lost. Not going to make a huge fuss about it but I think it will be a learning experience for me.

Reactions: Jtt777
I took delivery of my P3D- on October 26th. 3 hours later, I learned that the P3D+ would cost the same as my P3D-. No problem, I could return my P3D- for no charge (1 day for full refund) and buy the P3D+ for the same price. Less than an hour later, Elon Musk tweeted that 3P owners (Did not specify PUP or not) would either get either free lifetime supercharging or $5000 but free lifetime supercharging removed if you had it before, so I decided not to return my P3D- and waited for a refund or upgrade to free lifetime supercharging instead. That sounded like a nice compromise.

I sent an email to tesla customer support today explaining my situation. I am waiting for a response. If they come back with with blanks, then I will be extremely disappointed. Will I still enjoy my car? Yes. Will I regret not returning my car for a full refund because I read a tweet from Elon Musk? Yes. I also upgraded to FSD which could also turn out to be a dud (if I don't get the upgraded chip promised by Elon Musk).

I'll leave it up to Tesla CS to decide my fate but I don't like to look of things based on previous responses. In the end, it's about $8000 (PUP+FSD) probably lost. Not going to make a huge fuss about it but I think it will be a learning experience for me.

Supercharging should be there for you as well as the HW3 chip.

I’m even expecting the HW3 chip 2016 Model X.

Would the car return really have been 100% with zero strings? How about sales tax paid, registration, etc?

Reactions: P85_DA
We know track mode WILL work with more than one set of hardware, but Tesla has to have a default they certify out of the box.
They don’t have to have just one. We have a months old manual saying one thing and the CEO repeatedly and explicitly saying something else. Before acting as if there are clear facts, let’s see what happens over a couple of weeks as this feature rolls out.

Reactions: Perry
New owner and first post.
I'm just a school teacher, And I really wanted to have the Performance upgrade Package. After debating myself for over an hour at the dealer I just didn't feel like I could justify spending the $5000 extra for the performance upgrade. I have a big solar system at home so free supercharging is a mute point.
I ordered my car in mid Oct. and it was delivered less than 2 weeks later on Oct. 24th.
And then a day later find out that the performance package would be free.
My car had one paint defect inside of the door jamb and I could have postponed delivery a couple of days for it to be fixed but instead I just took a "due bill" for the paint fix and took the delivery on the specified delivery day Oct.24 because I had to take the day off to get the car.

This really sucks now to miss out on the performance upgrade that I really wanted with all perks literally by a day.

Love my car but this is really irritating me

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I'm just a school teacher, And I really wanted to have the Performance upgrade Package. After debating myself for over an hour at the dealer I just didn't feel like I could justify spending the $5000 extra for the performance upgrade. I have a big solar system at home so free supercharging is a mute point.
I ordered my car in mid Oct. and it was delivered less than 2 weeks later on Oct. 24th.
My car had one paint defect inside of the door jamb and I could have postponed delivery a couple of days for it to be fixed but instead I just took a "due bill" for the paint fix and took the delivery on the specified delivery day Oct.24 because I had to take the day off to get the car.

This really sucks now to miss out on the performance upgrade that I really wanted with all perks literally by a day.

I disagree. You are not JUST a school teacher. You are a SCHOOL TEACHER!!! Which are heros in my book.

A mute point? I hope you don’t teach English.

I think if you return the car they ban you from buying a Tesla for a year, so it's not as good as it sounds.

FSD is isn't a loss like the PUP.

No, you did not.
What you ACTUALLY said was
"I don't believe the P3D- brakes are any smaller than the +"
Thing is- they ARE smaller. Physically. The rotors specifically.
When I used the word smaller I was referring to the calipers in that their performance is not in any way inferior. You affirmed that by agreeing that they both have the same stopping distance since both calipers can fully lock the wheels if needed and tires are more important factor for stopping.

If you read further I specifically wrote about the real problem of brake fade which is heat dissipation plaguing the stock rotors for both + and - parts. So far tests have shown that only the MPP rotors have stood the repeated lap fade track test. My point was that both the + and - rotors as they come stock are not good enough for the track. See the last MPP video where they tracked a P+.

So what's so great about P+ for the track:
- Calipers performance is basically the same aside from the esthetics (we agreed on that)
- Tires, anyone can change and are only part of the car till they ware out then its up the the owner
- Heavy 20" wheels are a negative
- Rotors only slightly larger, not veined, not slotted, not large enough, and heavier than MPP
- No suspension changes other than an insignificant drop
- The rest are cosmetics

There is nothing fundamentally better about the P+. A P- with MPP rotors and new wheels (which I suspect most serious track users would swap anyway) is a better track car than the P+ stock. And these additions are about as trivial as changing an air filter. Probably easier since many have found it difficult to find and get to the air filter on a M3 (try finding it). My point is that withholding track mode from any dual motor model 3 is not a technical decision but purely a marketing one.

When I used the word smaller I was referring to the calipers in that their performance is not in any way inferior. You affirmed that by agreeing that they both have the same stopping distance since both calipers can fully lock the wheels if needed and tires are more important factor for stopping.

If you read further I specifically wrote about the real problem of brake fade which is heat dissipation plaguing the stock rotors for both + and - parts. So far tests have shown that only the MPP rotors have stood the repeated lap fade track test. My point was that both the + and - rotors as they come stock are not good enough for the track. See the last MPP video where they tracked a P+.

So what's so great about P+ for the track:
- Calipers performance is basically the same aside from the esthetics (we agreed on that)
- Tires, anyone can change and are only part of the car till they ware out then its up the the owner
- Heavy 20" wheels are a negative
- Rotors only slightly larger, not veined, not slotted, not large enough, and heavier than MPP
- No suspension changes other than an insignificant drop
- The rest are cosmetics

There is nothing fundamentally better about the P+. A P- with MPP rotors and new wheels (which I suspect most serious track users would swap anyway) is a better track car than the P+ stock. And these additions are about as trivial as changing an air filter. Probably easier since many have found it difficult to find and get to the air filter on a M3 (try finding it). My point is that withholding track mode from any dual motor model 3 is not a technical decision but purely a marketing one.
Yes it's probably a marketing decision or a legal one. Most people will not change brakes and tires and they expect whatever software comes with the car to work without mods. Perhaps Tesla will sell P3D- users track mode if we upgraded the wheels and brakes. looks like the wheels are 4k and they are yet to list the brake upgrade.

That's why P3D- is now just AWD+. They could unlock awds to be the same thing there is supposedly no difference but they don't unlock them yet. Probably saving that for next year lol.

Brakes are a bit harder to change then an air filter.

Last edited:
Yes it's probably a marketing one.

Brakes are a bit harder to change then an air filter.
I think people use the term brakes very loosely here and why the confusion. The calipers are not the weakness here and are fine as is. Just replacing the rotors alone makes the P- into a better braking track performer than the P+. Rotors are super easy to change. Takes 15 min per wheel. I bet it will take you longer than that to get to the air filter on a Model 3. Do you know where it is?

I think people use the term brakes very loosely here and why the confusion. The calipers are not the weakness here and are fine as is. Just replacing the rotors alone makes the P- into a better braking track performer than the P+. Rotors are super easy to change. Takes 15 min per wheel. I bet it will take you longer than that to get to the air filter on a Model 3. Do you know where it is?
great, i'm going to have you come and pimp my ride!