Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not only would that contradict Elon's tweet but if you read the link on how track mode works, it specifically states that when engaged it will use the brakes much less by turning on an extreme version of regen.

Also you-

From your own link

Tesla said:
In Track Mode, we simultaneously apply brake and motor torque to produce a net increase in tractive force while cornering

Track mode uses the brakes to simulate having real LSDs instead of the open ones they cheeped out on putting in there because they figured they'd just do it in software.

So it's gonna use the brakes a lot

By increasing regen it lets them do it more, for longer.... going to smaller brakes would limit the ability to do that in a number of ways.

Reactions: MP3Mike
By increasing regen it lets them do it more, for longer.... going to smaller brakes would limit the ability to do that in a number of ways.
I don't believe the P3D- brakes are any smaller than the +. I bet if you tested them they would both have the same stopping distance. The difference is more in the larger rotor needed to dissipate the heat to prevent brake fade on the track and as I have said, MPP rotors on P3D- will have better track braking performance than P3D+ stock as was shown by MPP on the track and since many of us chose P3D- because we wanted better parts (coilovers, rotors, forged wheels) then the PUP offered, it makes sense that P3D- cars are better candidates for track mode.

because we wanted better parts (coilovers, rotors, forged wheels) then the PUP, it makes sense that P3D- cars are better candidates for track mode.

How is it a better candidate? You can do all the same stuff to a P3D+, if you wanted to, and the cost would be the same, at least now. (Well the MPP rotors might not fit with the P3D+ calipers without some adjustments.)

Reactions: Glamisduner
How is it a better candidate? You can do all the same stuff to a P3D+, if you wanted to, and the cost would be the same, at least now. (Well the MPP rotors might not fit with the P3D+ calipers without some adjustments.)
Makes sense to me.

Basically, if you bought the P3D- just think of it as an AWD+ plus a donation (Thanks for being an early adopter). At this point I think tesla will eventually uncork AWD's to the same thing the P3D- used to be when we purchased them ages ago.

They need money to fix all the cars built in September.

• Disagree
Reactions: juanmedina
Just got mine too.

D05D4518-3472-46C2-8BD5-6E3A3FEAC68F.jpeg
59CB87F0-BC23-49B0-A474-454D9CC3A853.jpeg
C82B1A5F-1C57-4E01-A741-9E14A582784D.jpeg

I don't believe the P3D- brakes are any smaller than the +

Then you are factually wrong. Remember the P3D- doesn't get upgraded brakes at all... and we find on Page 140 in the owners manual-regarding rotors.

TFM said:
Front (non-Performance): 12.6"/320 mm
Front (Performance): 13.98"/355 mm

So the P3D- (and all cars but the P3D+) get smaller front rotors (and the fronts do most of the work after all)

. I bet if you tested them they would both have the same stopping distance.

Of course they would not-but that's nothing to do with brakes- brakes don't change stopping distance- tires do.

That's why the 18 and 19 inch factory wheels give different stopping distances on the same car with the same brakes- the tires are not the same. And the 20s different still.

But it's not the brakes doing that- it's the tires... the P3D+ comes with much better tires.

There's lots of OTHER reasons you might want larger brakes, but decreasing normal stopping distance ain't one.

The difference is more in the larger rotor needed to dissipate the heat to prevent brake fade on the track and as I have said, MPP rotors on P3D- will have better track braking performance than P3D+ stock as was shown by MPP on the track and since many of us chose P3D- because we wanted better parts (coilovers, rotors, forged wheels) then the PUP offered, it makes sense that P3D- cars are better candidates for track mode.

It really doesn't -because they can't offer a custom tuned OEM traction system based on random aftermarket parts the car might or might not have on it.

I'm only on day 3 of the trial and it's still growing on me. I won't buy it for $7k, but for $5.5k maybe if the remainder of the trial turns out well and if I am confident about getting the $5k refund.
I'm pretty confident you will get the refund in exchange for supercharging. If you keep bothering tesla using your contact for under your account I wouldn't be surprised if they offered to give you EAP instead of the refund which will save you about $1000 (due to tax), and save tesla $5000. Just make it clear that your only considering it lieu of the refund.

They seem to love P3D+ owners.

EAP isn't perfect, I had it on my AWD+, but it was still worth it to me. If I could order again I would have either bought the P3D or the RWD w/ autopilot. I know it seems like opposites, but I would have been way better off buying the P3D than the AWD+. I spent the money on auto pilot instead of the PUP, I didn't know that PUP would become free and AP offered at about the same price after purchase...

P3D- is the worst configuration by far at this point. I can't believe I fell for it.

Last edited:
P3D- is the worst configuration by far at this point. I can't believe I fell for it.
I consider it false advertising. "Buy this specialty Performance edition with better price and specs than a comparable BMW M3*

<two months later>
* Actual performance parts not guaranteed, cannot be traded, refunded. Value will see abnormally large depreciation days after purchase. All sales are final. Product not actually comparable to a BMW M3. Thanks for your money suckers."

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
I consider it false advertising. "Buy this specialty Performance edition with better price and specs than a comparable BMW M3*

<two months later>
* Actual performance parts not guaranteed, cannot be traded, refunded. Value will see abnormally large depreciation days after purchase. All sales are final. Product not actually comparable to a BMW M3. Thanks for your money suckers."
I never saw that anywhere? omrice drop hurts when foryou waited so long, and then accepted a sub par car. Actually even that's not so bad. What pisses me off is that P3D+ owners get 5k and P3D- owners get nothing. I'm happy for the P3D+ owners, just mad that not everyone gets the same treatment. I'm still waiting for my car to come back from service, it would have been nice to have been driving it for 2 months before the price drop instead of a week.

Lesson learned.
Never reserve a Tesla, you will not be rewarded.

or better,

Never buy another Tesla they don't know what they are doing or how to treat customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jedi2155
I never saw that anywhere? The price drop hurts though especially when you gave things up to get to P3D-, and waited for so long, and then accepted a sub par car. Actually even that's not so bad. What pisses me off is that P3D+ owners get 5k and P3D- owners get nothing. I'm happy for the P3D+ owners, just map that not everyone gets the same treatment. I'm still waiting for my car to come back from service, it would have been nice to have been driving it for 2 months before the price drop.

How long has your car been in for fixes. I just got my p3d- back again. Been with tesla for 6+ weeks of my 8 weeks of ownership and i still see significant paint defects. 3 visits to body shop. I think my car at this point is clearly a lemon. Too many false promises from service team. I think i am done. Refusing 5k refund for p3d- makes it worse but if i get my money back via buyback/lemon i can atleast start afresh and potentially get p3d+ at current pricing. Although as a tesla owner for 3+ yrs, i am so disappointed this time and debating switching to a different brand if i can give my car back.

Reactions: Glamisduner
How long has your car been in for fixes. I just got my p3d- back again. Been with tesla for 6+ weeks of my 8 weeks of ownership and i still see significant paint defects. 3 visits to body shop. I think my car at this point is clearly a lemon. Too many false promises from service team. I think i am done. Refusing 5k refund for p3d- makes it worse but if i get my money back via buyback/lemon i can atleast start afresh and potentially get p3d+ at current pricing. Although as a tesla owner for 3+ yrs, i am so disappointed this time and debating switching to a different brand if i can give my car back.
Not nearly as long as yours, only a week and no estimate time until completion. I think for sure you should lemon the car. What other brand though? Ipace? If they don't hassle you maybe P3d is in your future.

Last edited:
Not nearly as long as yours, only a week and no estimate time until completion. I think for sure you should lemon the car. What other brand though? Ipace? If they don't hassle you maybe P3d is in your future.
Not sure about alternative brand. Drove model s for 3 yrs and love the little 3 driving wise. Totally burnt out by customer service from delivery experience to service to corporate - all been disaster. Been 2 months and still waiting for my registration refund. Tesla charged for registration and then later asked me to register myself.

So the P3D- (and all cars but the P3D+) get smaller front rotors (and the fronts do most of the work after all)
I said the same thing in different words. The rotors are what matters not the calipers.
But it's not the brakes doing that- it's the tires... the P3D+ comes with much better tires.
Yep I agree. But tires are replaceable. Does that mean if a P3D+ gets all-weathers, they should have track mode revoked?
There's lots of OTHER reasons you might want larger brakes, but decreasing normal stopping distance ain't one.
I said the same thing.
It really doesn't -because they can't offer a custom tuned OEM traction system based on random aftermarket parts the car might or might not have on it.
I don't believe track mode is that strictly tuned to one specific set of hardware. I don't believe that's how it works. The road conditions themselves can vary more than the hardware. I think it is a lot more generalized than you think since that's how Elon engineers stuff. Similar to how his auto pilot is a generalized neural network unlike the competition. Track mode senses the behavior of the car and acts accordingly. A proper system adapts to the conditions observed and is not rigid. I think the only technical restriction might be to have dual motors since the system needs to adjust front and back wheels independently. So theoretically track mode should work on AWD too but they won't release it to keep P premium.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike