Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a P3D-/stealth/AWD+/without PUP owner, I would like to move on with this whole thing. I just want an official response so I can go on making my original mod plans. I just want an official statement. Its frustrating that random unclear tweets seem to have no bearing on official company policy. Here are some simplified options for the P3 without PUP. At this point, I don't care. Just let me know.
1. No refunds. No track mode.
2. Refund $5K. No track mode.
3. Refund $5K. Add track mode.
If they can't logistically deliver a tape on spoiler, I just don't see them delivering brake packages and lowering springs to each service center.

As a P3D-/stealth/AWD+/without PUP owner, I would like to move on with this whole thing. I just want an official response so I can go on making my original mod plans. I just want an official statement. Its frustrating that random unclear tweets seem to have no bearing on official company policy. Here are some simplified options for the P3 without PUP. At this point, I don't care. Just let me know.
1. No refunds. No track mode.
2. Refund $5K. No track mode.
3. Refund $5K. Add track mode.
If they can't logistically deliver a tape on spoiler, I just don't see them delivering brake packages and lowering springs to each service center.
It's important that we as a community of owners don't let Tesla get away with this. They can and will play the wait game until everyone's anger dissapates to a point where Tesla need not do anything at all. It's straight from the corporate playbook on how to handle wrongdoing. They can afford to push this out as long as possible. As MXWing said, they are ahead in negotiations. Our only power is to mobilize and continue to beat the drum of anger.

So dont give up. Keep hammering them for answers. Maybe it's time to step up the game. Contact the media, complain to the BBB, FTC and anybody else who may listen. The squeekiest wheel always gets oil first.

• Funny
Reactions: Roys3 and P85_DA
It's important that we as a community of owners don't let Tesla get away with this. They can and will play the wait game until everyone's anger dissapates to a point where Tesla need not do anything at all. It's straight from the corporate playbook on how to handle wrongdoing. They can afford to push this out as long as possible. As MXWing said, they are ahead in negotiations. Our only power is to mobilize and continue to beat the drum of anger.

So dont give up. Keep hammering them for answers. Maybe it's time to step up the game. Contact the media, complain to the BBB, FTC and anybody else who may listen. The squeekiest wheel always gets oil first.

We need a Fred Lambert to come to our rescue.

I have a P3D+ and was happy to see that there might be a $5k refund to accommodate early performance model purchasers who were affected by PUP change. Now... after reading the comments here and elsewhere, I kind of want Tesla to tell us all to go kick rocks. People need to dial back the sense of entitlement. Don't take Tesla's cool, relaxed attitude towards interacting with customers as a point of weakness that you can leverage. At this point it's probably bad precedent for Tesla to accommodate us even though they initially signaled that they would.

Well I'm off to take a Sunday drive in an amazing car and not drive myself crazy constantly refreshing the studio builder page to see what price or feature changed today... I suggest you all join me. Let the PUP refund matter play itself out in its own time. And if you are struggling for the $5k, why did you buy the performance model of this car?

Let the PUP refund matter play itself out in its own time.

Of all the things, this annoys me the most. We have folks who paid 5k thinking they are due a refund but happily excluding folks who now appear to have paid 5k extra for an AWD with software upgrades only.. zero proof of binned motors, etc and other very confusion marketing messages (or complete lack of information at order time) for things like track mode.

No matter how you work your math, any Performance buyer has paid more than they would now (don't muddle it with the complete discontinuation of the stealth Performance car). Thus if any buyers would be due a refund, they all should imho.

I have said as much before - I'm not sold on the notion anyone who took delivery of a car prior to the price-cut announcement is due a dime but I find it insulting that some folks (or Tesla?) would determine that paying $ for hardware is somehow more legitimate than paying $ for software alone

Of all the things, this annoys me the most. We have folks who paid 5k thinking they are due a refund but happily excluding folks who now appear to have paid 5k extra for an AWD with software upgrades only.. zero proof of binned motors, etc and other very confusion marketing messages (or complete lack of information at order time) for things like track mode.

No matter how you work your math, any Performance buyer has paid more than they would now (don't muddle it with the complete discontinuation of the stealth Performance car). Thus if any buyers would be due a refund, they all should imho.

I have said as much before - I'm not sold on the notion anyone who took delivery of a car prior to the price-cut announcement is due a dime but I find it insulting that some folks (or Tesla?) would determine that paying $ for hardware is somehow more legitimate than paying $ for software alone

Excactly both trims were equally affected threat both customer the same.

I have a P3D+ and was happy to see that there might be a $5k refund to accommodate early performance model purchasers who were affected by PUP change. Now... after reading the comments here and elsewhere, I kind of want Tesla to tell us all to go kick rocks. People need to dial back the sense of entitlement. Don't take Tesla's cool, relaxed attitude towards interacting with customers as a point of weakness that you can leverage. At this point it's probably bad precedent for Tesla to accommodate us even though they initially signaled that they would.

Well I'm off to take a Sunday drive in an amazing car and not drive myself crazy constantly refreshing the studio builder page to see what price or feature changed today... I suggest you all join me. Let the PUP refund matter play itself out in its own time. And if you are struggling for the $5k, why did you buy the performance model of this car?
While in general I agree with you on the relative priority of this issue... I believe it is actually a good thing in Tesla's development that it happens now and gets sorted out. In so many (positive) ways, Tesla has departed from standard automotive practices. When you create a new paradigm, you don't always get it right the first time. Tesla needs to continue learning on:

1) JIT software updates - how to handle when there are customer-perceived regressions.
2) JIT pricing and equipment changes - how to handle phase in such that the process is understandable and somewhat equitable.

Regarding the latter, we are all conditioned by the model year approach that is prevalent. We don't carp when the 2019 model has better features than the 2018. We expect that. Manufacturers (and dealers) reduce prices in the second half of each year in anticipation.

I do like the new Tesla model in Theory: put out new equipment as soon as available. But I believe they need to refrain from using pricing levers on an impromptu basis. What replaces the annual model year and last year's model discount cycle? I'm sure they figure it out... hope they don't burn too many customers in the process.

I'm of the same camp. I just am enjoying this car immensely! I'm not focusing in on the 5K refund. If it happens great if not I'll still have Track Mode. Something extra that I never paid for up front. Just another Bonus. Along with the Dash Cam and many other updates.
Model 3 Performance with PUP is a fantastic vehicle and I won't be bothered if the 5K never happens.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and MP3Mike
3P- that are actually tracked will have MPP upgrade kit and have larger, slotted 2pc rotors than 3P+. P3- that want to drift every now and then will have stock tires that make it easier and keep their w/mi lower. Track mode was not listed at all with the PUO, it is now. Tesla has corrected what was wrong, showing that those with P3- that are upset are right.
Correct.

Reasons for people having chosen a P3D-:
- You either did not care about tracking the car and just wanted the quickest city driver possible with decent range
- You cared so much about extreme performance that you decided the aftermarket route will result in a better track car

Either way this means that a P3D- seen on the track will most likely be better equipped than a P3D+. So hopefully they won't dumb down Track Mode for the -. It should have been released as is to all Ps.

I do like the new Tesla model in Theory: put out new equipment as soon as available. But I believe they need to refrain from using pricing levers on an impromptu basis. What replaces the annual model year and last year's model discount cycle?
I'm not sure I can agree with this. I see two things wrong with Tesla's model.

First, if they're trying to emulate the software industry that has the "push features as fast as possible" model then they are forgetting a crucial aspect of that business model. All buyers are equal. Software, generally speaking, is the same price for everyone, forever. Rarely does the price of software change. So it's easy as a buyer and a developer to constantly release new updates since everyone is equal. Further, all customers always receive all updates. There's usually no cherry picking which customers get what. A company may create pricing tiers and then push specific features at those tiers but everyone at the same tier always gets the same set of features.

Second, there's nothing fundamentally broken about the year based business model. As they say if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I have to believe than in the 120+ year history of car manufacturing the reason why the entire rest of the industry uses the year based model is a good one and based on sound economic principles that has more than a century of tested validity. I see no benefit, as a consumer, and especially as a company, to push hardware and price changes as fast as possible.

That's not to say that there aren't industries that do push these kinds changes as fast as possible. However, every single example I can think of that all have price match and buyback guarantee policies in order to prevent confusion, panic and market instability among consumers. If we are to use those companies as an example, then everyone here would have already been given the option to a price match refund or return of their vehicle for a full refund; no questions asked.

Yet Tesla doesn't seem interested in following any of these norms. It's one thing to buck tradition in order to make genuine improvements to an industry. It's another thing entirely to disregard a century of proven economic models and consumer behavior and for what? Elon Musk's ego? That's the only answer I can come up with.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and Perry
Correct.

- You either did not care about tracking the car and just wanted the quickest city driver possible with decent range
- You cared so much about extreme performance that you decided the aftermarket route will result in a better track car

Either way this means that a P3D- seen on the track will most likely be better equipped than a P3D+. So hopefully they won't dumb down Track Mode for the -. It should have been released as is to all Ps.

- You cared the most, so you paid the premium for 3P+, guaranteeing you access to track mode if/when Tesla releases it. You would then make aftermarket adjustments afterwards.

Did anyone ever think Tesla would give track mode to 3P- but not 3P+?

3P+ insurance for 5K cost less than the sales tax for states that have it.

If I assigned an arbitrary value like a coin flip, the risk analysis would go like this:

5000 -> 100% access to Track Mode
0 -> 50% access to Track Mode (coin flip)

I am honestly curious who did the risk analysis, flipped the coin, lost and wants a do-over?

Not being a dick, just trying to be real. I feel bad for everyone here including myself (I got screwed the hardest monetarily) but we have to look at things objectively.

Applying my own probability thoughts, I believe Tesla WILL enable track mode for 3P-

They just need to rewrite the software to ignore the checks present in 3P+.

Last edited:
- You cared the most, so you paid the premium for 3P+, guaranteeing you access to track mode if/when Tesla releases it. You would then make aftermarket adjustments afterwards.

If I assigned an arbitrary value like a coin flip, the risk analysis would go like this:

I am honestly curious who did the risk analysis, flipped the coin, lost and wants a do-over?

Not being a dick, just trying to be real. I feel bad for everyone here including myself (I got screwed the hardest monetarily) but we have to look at things objectively.

Applying my own probability thoughts, I believe Tesla WILL enable track mode for 3P-

I’m not sure what you’re going on about? AFAIK track mode wasn’t really announced until after most of us ordered our P3s. I get it after September. If you bought a P3 without PUP after they announced it would be required for track mode, you had all the info.

Correct.

is your name parviz? lolz.

• Disagree
Reactions: TrumpetTitan
It's nice all you happy customers are enjoying your P3D-. I had mine for only a week before the price drop it and now its been sitting in the shop to fix all the delivery issues. So no I'm not enjoying mine, and hate my decision to get autopilot instead of PUP. And yes it was a stretch to get this car and regret my decision to do so. You gotta set your price limit somewhere, mine was 80k after tax and only because I was able to sell 2 cars (volt had a 5k trade in value to cover my autopilot, but luckily I was able to put some work into selling it private party for 8k), and I had previously had ford buyback my lemon focus. Before that I was set on the LR model (bumped to AWD after being able to save for another 6 months due to delays, and the buyback happened Thanks Ford!).

I would have been better off in the RWD or AWD than the P3D-, hell even the new midrange is a better value and I didn't even need a reservation for that. I don't think I'll be buying more teslas at this point, I don't like the new car buying experience where you give them a loan for a year, then give them a deposit, then wait another 3-4 months, then you get your car. But if it was ready a week later it would be 5k cheaper. Oh and you don't really get to look at the vehicle then decide to purchase, instead you put down $3500 for the opportunity to view a vehicle with a bunch of defects that have to be fixed.

Guess I just feel entitled huh.

You've been making this argument for quite a while. I competely understand it too but that still doesn't make it a rational one.

Having to make purchase decisions based on the principle of insurance is not obvious to the average consumer. No other car manufacturer, no other company in any industry, forces buyers into similar decisions. It also goes against legal standing that requires a company to deliver what is advertised.

Needing to hedge bets against future support is an unreasonable expectation for consumers and an irrational decision.

• Love
Reactions: Perry
It's nice all you happy customers are enjoying your P3D-. I had mine for only a week before the price drop it and now its been sitting in the shop to fix all the delivery issues. So no I'm not enjoying mine, and hate my decision to get autopilot instead of PUP. And yes it was a stretch to get this car and regret my decision to do so. You gotta set your price limit somewhere, mine was 80k after tax and only because I was able to sell 2 cars (volt had a 5k trade in value to cover my autopilot, but luckily I was able to put some work into selling it private party for 8k), and I had previously had ford buyback my lemon focus. Before that I was set on the LR model (bumped to AWD after being able to save for another 6 months due to delays, and the buyback happened Thanks Ford!).

I would have been better off in the RWD or AWD than the P3D-, hell even the new midrange is a better value and I didn't even need a reservation for that. I don't think I'll be buying more teslas at this point, I don't like the new car buying experience where you give them a loan for a year, then give them a deposit, then wait another 3-4 months, then you get your car. But if it was ready a week later it would be 5k cheaper. Oh and you don't really get to look at the vehicle then decide to purchase, instead you put down $3500 for the opportunity to view a vehicle with a bunch of defects that have to be fixed.

Guess I just feel entitled huh.

I agree that the Tesla buying experience sucks. I still really enjoy the P3D-. The acceleration never gets old. It's one of the few cars at that price point that is THAT quick. I think the Camaro ZL1 is one of the other ones but that car is too loud.