Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at this whole cluster* its clear that the yearly model is a good one for large purchases like a car, which always go down in value. From Teslas point of view, they are a fast moving company who take a lot of advantage from rapidly adjusting the price of the car or options. However in cases like this, its really biting them. You have a whole range of people who otherwise would be enjoying their cars now feeling cheated.

Changing prices drastically (almost 10%) in a 2 month period was asking for trouble and now Tesla needs a way out. That's why I recommended service/supercharger/option credits as reimbursement and not Cash. This way the value never leaves the customer but its stretched out over time for Tesla or otherwise gets spent on features that cost a lot less than they sell them for, like EAP. Down the road the customer could spend the credit on the aftermarket brakes if they wanted if that is required for track mode. This is not only an easier pill to swallow but gives the customer an immediate value and stops the focus on this horrible mistake by Tesla.

It really sucks for the P3 Stealth folks especially. I can see the anger and its justified. I had never in a million years thought they deserved the $5k refund any less than any other buyers. Whatever is given to the one group should go to both. Though to be clear I didn't think anything was deserved. FACT: prices change, usually getting cheaper as existing stuff gets less "Bleeding Edge".

Tesla needs to step up and if they are giving a refund/price change whatever, they should apply it equally.

I changed my order at the last minute to add the PUP based on the tweet that track mode only being available with it without some extra purchase. In hindsight I am glad I did because a car this fast will TAX brakes on a very twisty mountain road even. It doesn't take a track to want the upgraded brakes, just ask MPP.

If you plan on stopping once and then going home or perhaps driving like a "Normal EV" then the normal brakes are just fine. If you want to fly down a twisty mountain road with your performance oriented car then you'll appreciate the better brakes.

P3- have a tweet that they are working on an upgrade package (read additional purchase). No promise is implied on timing or that it will be free..
From the actual tweet:
We’re working to provide an aftermarket Performance Upgrade Package when Track Mode becomes available.

I just got the official FU email from Tesla telling me I get nothing and should be thankful for my FUSC. Words cannot describe how angry this makes me...

I will never buy Tesla again.

LOLZ ...you were never entitled to a refund anyway ..why get yourself worked up over 73 pages ?? ..when you signed your contract that is what u agreed to purchase this is not a hard concept to understand

LOLZ ...you were never entitled to a refund anyway ..why get yourself worked up over 73 pages ?? ..when you signed your contract that is what u agreed to purchase this is not a hard concept to understand
So I signed a contract and must be held to it even though I was not allowed to see or inspect the car before signing? That's rich. I had no way to verify my purchase. The contract should be null and void

So I signed a contract and must be held to it even though I was not allowed to see or inspect the car before signing? That's rich. I had no way to verify my purchase. The contract should be null and void

If u feel strongly about it sue Tesla ..it’s not about being “rich” ...Tesla has made multiple changes over the years AP1-2-2.5 ...this year alone MCU1-2 which is not a cheap upgrade if it can be done ...it sucks but I don’t think it should detract from a good car that u have ..;)

Who got money back ?? What about other Tesla owners (S X) that had changes after the fact ? This is a business ..no ones contract guaranteed price protection

Ask this guy:

Screenshot_20181111-153544.png

If it is true that P3D- people get really nothing for this price drop, I can definitely understand the anger you guys get.

At worst, Lifetime FUSC is still a consolation prize to make up for it. If they bring Lifetime FUSC to even MR, that would be a double burn to P3D- folks. I hope Tesla doesn't go that extreme.

I think what Tesla can do is upgrade the wheels and brakes for P3D- people. Anyway, I hope everything works out fine for all affected P3D owners and put an end to this 73 pages of speculation and different responses from Tesla.

Reactions: P85_DA
It's important that we as a community of owners don't let Tesla get away with this. They can and will play the wait game until everyone's anger dissapates to a point where Tesla need not do anything at all. It's straight from the corporate playbook on how to handle wrongdoing. They can afford to push this out as long as possible. As MXWing said, they are ahead in negotiations. Our only power is to mobilize and continue to beat the drum of anger.

So dont give up. Keep hammering them for answers. Maybe it's time to step up the game. Contact the media, complain to the BBB, FTC and anybody else who may listen. The squeekiest wheel always gets oil first.
I agree completely with your take on the corporate mindset. To many corporations the customer is either the enemy or the clown, and the go-to treatment of such is to bully them or fool them.

That said, I give Tesla the benefit of the doubt, but they must also feel that we are not chumps...

• Disagree
You've been making this argument for quite a while. I competely understand it too but that still doesn't make it a rational one.

Having to make purchase decisions based on the principle of insurance is not obvious to the average consumer. No other car manufacturer, no other company in any industry, forces buyers into similar decisions. It also goes against legal standing that requires a company to deliver what is advertised.

Needing to hedge bets against future support is an unreasonable expectation for consumers and an irrational decision.

The average consumer is going to rely on the ordering website, the maroney stickers and what they sign.

No other car manufacturer repeatedly, and substantially adds updates to vehicles post delivery.

My Volt for what it is remains the same as the day I got it 2 years ago. My only update option is just maps and I have to pay extra for that.

There’s nothing to hedge against when buying another manufacture but you get nothing new either.

Which way do you want it?

Also, If this was AP2 gate, thread would be 5000 pages based so far based on relative ramifications.

• Love
While in general I agree with you on the relative priority of this issue... I believe it is actually a good thing in Tesla's development that it happens now and gets sorted out. In so many (positive) ways, Tesla has departed from standard automotive practices. When you create a new paradigm, you don't always get it right the first time. Tesla needs to continue learning on:

1) JIT software updates - how to handle when there are customer-perceived regressions.
2) JIT pricing and equipment changes - how to handle phase in such that the process is understandable and somewhat equitable.

Regarding the latter, we are all conditioned by the model year approach that is prevalent. We don't carp when the 2019 model has better features than the 2018. We expect that. Manufacturers (and dealers) reduce prices in the second half of each year in anticipation.

I do like the new Tesla model in Theory: put out new equipment as soon as available. But I believe they need to refrain from using pricing levers on an impromptu basis. What replaces the annual model year and last year's model discount cycle? I'm sure they figure it out... hope they don't burn too many customers in the process.

Agree completely - except I am NOT "conditioned by the model year approach". :)

I have never bought a new car in my life! My P- is my very first new car. In fact I've never paid more than $5K for any car - so $5K has a bit of meaning to me! I'm NOT going away on this issue! You hear me Tesla?!

If I can transfer out Track Mode to any P3D- owners and anyone dearly want one, I don't mind doing so because I am very unlikely to bring this baby to track.

I mainly got the PUP for the sexy red brake and spoiler. ;)
Still waiting for spoiler...Hopefully it delivers before 2020.
Transfer it to me! :) Great honesty!
I think most P+ owners went PUP for the same reasons you did.

I would have gone PUP because my neck of the woods has lots of great curvy roads, and passing lanes! - but after much soul searching I went with EAP instead. No regrets, but when newbs suddenly get PUP gifted to them - consider me a damn newb! (even though I'm not)

• Funny
Reactions: Maximilien