Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to be constructive. Want to see how to come back from a devastating PR nightmare? This is how you do it.

MXWing on Twitter
06A53659-87F5-45D1-B8F7-9FB25E5E5DE2.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: chr147 and P85_DA
The real victims are those of us who told you that the Performance model was way overpriced. If you all had listened to us none of this would have happened. Now I'm stuck driving this pathetic car that can barely keep of with traffic and my coworker, @AlanSubie4Life, is about to take delivery of a P3D+. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to show my face in the office. At least you were able to buy the P at a price acceptable to you, we didn't have that option.

For those that are saying prices change and just deal with it, that's just not what's happening here. If my car wasn't in the body shop right now, it would be an easier pill to swallow. But my timeline was I put a reservation a year and a half ago, then get an email to configure along with every other reservation holder. By the time I got my car you didn't need a reservation any more. Then they scheduled like a million cars to be delivered 9/29 including mine. I could've waited, but that's the date they gave me. They tried to deliver 200 cars that day at the service center, it was pure chaos. They rushed production and I suspect used b-stock cars to get the numbers up and delivered them to first time customers who have overspent on these cars by a large margin. Then he has a profitable quarter, it's not hard to see what they did. But as my car sat in the body shop, a brand new car that cost more than I ever spent, I see it took a 5K depreciation hit less than a month out and don't even know if the parts I have are correct, and I was partly responsible for their amazing quarter, yeah that's a faux pas.

I am in total agreement with you. I am in the exact same boat - car delivered on 9/29 - now at the service center in queue for a major paint respray - estimated completion - ONE MONTH! I opted out of buying the performance package as I did not like the 20" especially on a white car and would have changed them, but what I am left with now is basically a "bastard" model with a 10K software upgrade. Mine was originally delivered as a dual motor and I had to spend a considerable time with both CS and the service center to finally get that "software push" - but I am not sure what parts I really have in this car....

As a first time Tesla owner, I was willing to cut the Company some slack on the quality issues but this is really a slap in the face. The pricing on these cars as we know is nonnegotiable and that needs to be respected on the other end as well. A 5k free option on a 70K is a huge savings. Our September deliveries saved his Company and he needs to respect that and all the people that volunteered their time to do it! Either I get my 5K back or they retrofit the vehicle. If neither happens, this will be a public relations and media nightmare for him... The short sellers and the lawyers are going to love this.

Elon tweeted he will refund all P3D+ owners or give free supercharging for life. How do I request my $5k refund?
called customer support this morning, gave up after 2hr 16m. :(

i thought something may have gone wrong with my call, so i called right back and was only on hold for 3mins and now I am getting my refund! :) although they said with so many refund checks it may take a couple of months.

Last edited:
Yes, here’s one example and I’m confident there are others...

Tesla Slashes Price Of Model S 75 By $7,500 To Just $69,500

Using the same logic, buyers who took delivery days after this price cut should have been compensated too.

As for the early adopters argument, aren’t these buyers early adopters too?

I’m sure I will get blasted for saying this but I really hope Tesla sticks to their guns on this...even at the risk of alienating a few other their loyal customers.
Not quite apples to apples. When they lowered the price on the S by $5k (the article you cited had a correction for the $7.5k), Tesla added back some options as standard:

“In addition to the price drop overnight, Tesla shook up the equipment list quite a bit. The all-glass roof is now standard, as is the rear powered liftgate.”

The short salers are going to love this comment is hilarious. Under what grounds can you sue. Not that many performance models we're sold, non all of them got free supercharging, lots of them went to stores as test drive cars, not everyone cares or are worried about getting 5 grand back. They are going to sell tons of performance cars now is the deal of the century. That's what's going to happen.

called customer support this morning, gave up after 2hr 16m. :(

Can you not wait until next week?

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
This is actually great news for P3D owners! We get $5k back? That’s awesome. Track mode for P3D-, nice! Yet it sounds like people are still complaining for some reason? It’s like an early Christmas present, and probably the best one I’ve ever got.

This is assuming we actually get $5k back...there has been no clarification at all regarding that

To me, this weakens the “arguably” because he immediately acknowledges he’s taking action. If it was truly still under debate whether it was too much too soon, why commit to fixing it. I don’t see it as a huge difference.

He’s literally offering a buyback for the unlimited supercharging; it’s not a refund.

It’s a marketing move to appease people; this costs Tesla extremely little and gets more people off unlimited charger, which is what he wants anyhow.

$5000 = 75,000 miles at today’s energy costs (based on Tesla’s calculator, which In my P3D+, I get about 70% of the rated range, so 52,500 mikes). If Tesla thinks these cars are going to even make it to 25% of their 1 million mile rating, that’s 250,000 miles. If people charge even 25% of those miles, you’re still looking at 62,500 miles charged. Energy prices will go up.

Tesla comes out on top of this trade and certain people are a little less grumpy.

Seems like for CA supercharger rate of .26 kWh the breakeven is ~75k supercharger miles.

Think in my case I’ll be better off taking the $5k refund and paying per use since even though I take a lot of road trips I don’t anticipate putting that many supercharger charged miles on this car in the time I will likely own this vehicle. I typically swap cars every 3 years. I could see me holding this one a little longer since the tech has the ability to update itself, but I just don’t see myself holding this car out of warranty or when the battery starts to fade.

If lifetime supercharging was tied to me the owner vs the car then I wouldn’t even consider taking a refund.

Yup, the quick math shows almost everyone should be better off taking the $5000 refund. (Assuming that actually comes to fruition) Using CA rates and a 75 kw battery it’s just over 256 full charge cycles. In the cheaper states a rough estimate is around 550 full cycles. (60 mins charge time X .15c/min blended rate) Those are full cycles, not something like the usual 20%-80% charges. That means even in an expensive state you would need a full supercharge once per week for nearly 5 years to break even. Not likely for most people.

The other option is to give yourself free supercharging. Take the $5000 and invest in something that gives a decent return. Some REITs, crowdfunding platforms or other investments can generate 8% returns with acceptable risk. That’s $400/year in returns, I would hazard enough to cover supercharging costs for most people even after taxes. Plus you (hopefully) keep or grow the principal and can apply that to a new car when you sell the 3.

Or if your not into investing and have a loan, take the cash and pay down the principal.

Reactions: commasign