Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does that mean that technically there is no more Model 3Perfomance with 18 inch aero wheels available?

exactly. but I am set to take delivery of that config on Saturday of next week. Yesterday I was on hold for another issue as the news broke so I asked and they said they will change my Vin to a performance model 3 with performance package but I am not holding my breath. so far no update on my account. I did not hit proceed on my account yet as I don't want them to draft a MVPA without this being correct first

This is crazy and very disappointing for those of that paid $5K. Our cars instantly depreciated another $5K. Then there are the folks that didn’t get the performance upgrade on their initially order that got screwed as well.

Yup. It's a bummer for those of us who anted up the serious money. We bought two, so that's $10K of pain. But here's why I'm not complaining. And why i still regard the massive cash outlay on these two cars as about the best money I've ever spent.

1) It makes the car an even more fantastic value for those who might not yet be all in on EV and Tesla's dominance of EV tech, attracting more buyers, and making the choice between the top Model 3 and all the other elite sports sedans (that's Alfa, BMW, Lexus, Infinti, and Mercedes) even more of a slam dunk.
2) It's part of the evidence that Tesla is frankly pretty generous as a corporation particularly relative to other automakers - perhaps even to a fault (after all, until recently not making any money), and this could not have happened unless they were recording the first large profitability of their short existence. Most other manufacturers posed to virtually take over the premium sport sedan class would have RAISED prices.
3) Model Y is in a position to similarly dominate the premium midsize SUV class, which is still Tesla's biggest sales target as it constitutes the largest selling vehicle type in the US. Have to see how good it turns out to be, but I'm betting it's a homerun.
4) We still got the free lifetime supercharging on two vehicles, which I figure is worth, well, just about $10K minimum. So that's a draw.
5) Consistent with #2, Tesla may rebate or refund to existing orders that $5k.

The big picture is that this is part of Tesla's remaking of the automotive landscape in a way that almost no one (except those in Tesla from the outset and a few other cognoscenti) would have ever predicted. So, again, big picture, it's all good. Enjoy the ride guys. We are all part of the greatest revolution in transportation technology . . . . . ever.

The move is so random. At the very least this should have been announced with the Mid Range and other changes last week. Proves futile in trying to time any price changes.

I still think the front nose change on the MS hurt the most. This is one probably second, then the move from AP1 -> AP2.

Yup. It's a bummer for those of us who anted up the serious money. We bought two, so that's $10K of pain. But here's why I'm not complaining. And why i still regard the massive cash outlay on these two cars as about the best money I've ever spent.

1) It makes the car an even more fantastic value for those who might not yet be all in on EV and Tesla's dominance of EV tech, attracting more buyers, and making the choice between the top Model 3 and all the other elite sports sedans (that's Alfa, BMW, Lexus, Infinti, and Mercedes) even more of a slam dunk.
2) It's part of the evidence that Tesla is frankly pretty generous as a corporation particularly relative to other automakers - perhaps even to a fault (after all, until recently not making any money), and this could not have happened unless they were recording the first large profitability of their short existence. Most other manufacturers posed to virtually take over the premium sport sedan class would have RAISED prices.
3) Model Y is in a position to similarly dominate the premium midsize SUV class, which is the biggest sales target and the largest selling vehicle type in the US
4) We still got the free lifetime supercharging on two vehicles, which I figure is worth, well, just about $10K minimum. So that's a draw.
5) Consistent with #2, Tesla may rebate or refund to existing orders that $5k.

The big picture is that this is part of Tesla's remaking of the automotive landscape in a way that almost no one (except those in Tesla from the outset and a few other cognoscenti) would have ever predicted. So, again, big picture, it's all good. Enjoy the ride guys. We are all part of the greatest revolution in transportation technology . . . . . ever.

What percentage of the population can buy two performance Model 3s?

If Tesla wants to pull off unlimited bull *sugar* they can stay boutique and sell Model S, Model X, and Roadsters.

When you swim into the mass market pool you deal with the mass market customers.

I’m the farthest thing from a communist but those who don’t care about losing 10K off two cars can afford to lose 10K off two cars.

There are disconnects between
-TSLA shareholders
-New to Tesla
-Old to Tesla
-Rich people
-Less rich people
-Legitimate beefs
-Whiney bitching
-Those happy for others (almost no one is here)
-Those indifferent for others
-Those resentful of others

It’s not easy to manage all that but we should at least realize all those people exist.

The move is so random. At the very least this should have been announced with the Mid Range and other changes last week. Proves futile in trying to time any price changes.

I still think the front nose change on the MS hurt the most. This is one probably second, then the move from AP1 -> AP2.
Can’t speak of the front nose change, but I got the AP1 -> AP2 hurt and I lost a night of sleep over it. I also got hurt from this P3D+ adjustment (not really but according to you) and I actually didn’t feel much even before he said he’ll refund it. To me the AP1 -> AP2 hurt way more simply because the car was obsolete instantly back then with no retrofit option.

The P3D+, not so much, it’s still the same car.

He’s literally offering a buyback for the unlimited supercharging; it’s not a refund.

It’s a marketing move to appease people; this costs Tesla extremely little and gets more people off unlimited charger, which is what he wants anyhow.

$5000 = 75,000 miles at today’s energy costs (based on Tesla’s calculator, which In my P3D+, I get about 70% of the rated range, so 52,500 mikes). If Tesla thinks these cars are going to even make it to 25% of their 1 million mile rating, that’s 250,000 miles. If people charge even 25% of those miles, you’re still looking at 62,500 miles charged. Energy prices will go up.

Tesla comes out on top of this trade and certain people are a little less grumpy.

I’m not sure what this has to do with implying I left off “arguably” to dramatically change the meaning of his quote.

I made exactly the same argument as you last night that $5,000 might not seem worth it to some people, but it might make financial sense to Tesla. Both in charging costs and lowering Supercharger infrastructure costs.

The only reason I doubt it’s a huge savings is that they’re not offering this $5000 back to all Free Supercharger owners, only a relatively small number of Performance 3s.

So situation normal at Tesla. Never a dull moment.

I’m supposed to take delivery Monday, and already have my MVPA, which shows the old price. So I call sales and actually get someone at the Costa Mesa office where I am taking delivery, and ask them if they are going to send out a new MVPA to reflect the new price. He actually said no, Tesla doesn’t make changes, he must be new, and that I owe the old price. I actually laughed.

This will make sense for those who have an In-n-Out hamburger near them and frequent the establishment.

So, if I get in the long line in the parking lot to buy my burger, and the clean cut kid comes out with his mobile ordering machine and takes my order for a number 1 animal style, and then as I wait in line and drive by the sign with prices on it, and they’ve lowered them, that I am then supposed to pay the higher price at the window, and then still wait for the burger at the pick-up window further down the line? He said yes, or start over.

I said for $5,468 ($468 difference because of tax and reg fee), I’d do the loop, not pay, not pick up my animal style combo and get in line again, wouldn’t you. He said yes to that. So he said he would have someone call me back.

That didn’t/has not happened yet, so I just called back and got a different person who said that they would have it figured out by delivery. I said, good, because I’m not handing over the money until it’s figured out, and they agreed.

Then again, if I delay another few weeks maybe I’ll get air suspension???

Never a dull moment. In all seriousness, this has got to causing massive buyer’s fatigue.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what this has to do with implying I left off “arguably” to dramatically change the meaning of his quote.

I made exactly the same argument as you last night that $5,000 might not seem worth it to some people, but it might make financial sense to Tesla. Both in charging costs and lowering Supercharger infrastructure costs.

The only reason I doubt it’s a huge savings is that they’re not offering this $5000 back to all Free Supercharger owners, only a relatively small number of Performance 3s.

Lose lose situation. I’m in Econ and need to solve adverse selection issues when needing to decide price points and promotions.

Those who won’t spend 5000 in supercharging - say spends 1500. 5000 credit is a 3500 loss to Tesla.

Those who spend 7500 in supercharging will know to keep supercharging. 2500 loss to Tesla.

The latter example is even more dastardly because people will feel compelled to use SC more than they normally would have. See “tragedy of the commons”.

To use a medical analogy, the healthy people have left the insurance market.

What percentage of the population can buy two performance Model 3s?

If Tesla wants to pull off unlimited bull *sugar* they can stay boutique and sell Model S, Model X, and Roadsters.

When you swim into the mass market pool you deal with the mass market customers.

I’m the farthest thing from a communist but those who don’t care about losing 10K off two cars can afford to lose 10K off two cars.

There are disconnects between
-TSLA shareholders
-New to Tesla
-Old to Tesla
-Rich people
-Less rich people
-Legitimate beefs
-Whiney bitching
-Those happy for others (almost no one is here)
-Those indifferent for others
-Those resentful of others

It’s not easy to manage all that but we should at least realize all those people exist.

that's a pretty hostile and discrediting post. Maybe you should take some of your own advice

• Disagree
Reactions: Jedi2155 and P85_DA