Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were some interesting arguments made over whether $2500 (or $2000) was fair for supercharging back with the Model S 60. Personally, I think it's worth 2000 simply to future proof escalating energy costs. I do not think it is remotely possible to make the case that free supercharging is worth $5000. I would just as soon keep my free supercharging, but I can't. That would be an absurd financial decision. Oh well. I too would have taken a credit toward a future purchase or even free FSD (which may not arrive before the car wears out). Tesla needs to hire an unintended consequences czar to evaluate these knee-jerk moves in advance.

okay, i am supposed to take delivery of my P3D- today at 2 pm. Just spoke to my delivery guy and all he heard is about them waiving the performance package fee for those that ordered the car with that. Nothing about cutting the price of the car i am supposed to take delivery on today. If they cannot do that, there is no way on earth i should take delivery of this car. that is messed up.

Agree, I take delivery next week of the p3d- and trying to get clarification if I can just get a new Vin with the p3d+ for the same price. I called last night and was told yes, but then the sales guy at the Tesla store who gave me the performance test drive and upgraded me told me that is not the case. I am calling back today. let me know how your situation goes. I don't see why you simply could not refuse delivery and then get a p3d+ vin.

Hey, where's the refund (or some other form of compensation) for those of us who bought a MS 90D that was discontinued 2 months later and replaced with a bigger battery (100 kWh) plus standard PUP. If I had just waited a couple of more months to pull the trigger I could have gotten a better car for the same price....hmmm

I realize my example is slightly different but the outcome is still the same...accelerated depreciation of our cars.

Tesla set this precedent long ago (i.e. price cut of the 60kWh to 75kWh upgrade is another example)

Too bad for me that Fred doesn't own a MS 90D...

Someone posted this on Facebook and I think is a good point:

Free supercharging for life might be worth far more than we think. If this is a million mile car, that can be rented out as a self driving taxi, that’s 250,000 kWh of free charging. At .25 cents per kWh, that’s $62,500. If your car makes money for each mile it’s driven, the faster it can charge the more money it’ll make.

Let say you drive the car for 7-10 years and then you decide you want to get a new car. Instead of getting next to nothing from trading the car in you want to keep the car as a self driving taxi and make some money o_O.

Last edited:

Free supercharging for life might be worth far more than we think. If this is a million mile car, that can be rented out as a self driving taxi, that’s 250,000 kWh of free charging. At .25 cents per kWh, that’s $62,500. If your car makes money for each mile it’s driven, the faster it can charge the more money it’ll make.

Let say you drive the car for 7-10 years and then you decide you want to get a new car. Instead of getting next to nothing from trading the car in you want to keep the car a self driving taxi and make some money o_O.

Free supercharging and commercial usage is against Tesla’s terms of service. I bet Tesla’s takes a chunk of cash to reconcile their views on this.

It’s wishful thinking but this example doesn’t hold water.

Let say you drive the car for 7-10 years and then you decide you want to get a new car. Instead of getting next to nothing from trading the car in you want to keep the car a self driving taxi and make some money o_O.

This assumes that you supercharge exclusively and that FSD becomes a thing. I really believe that level 5 will be achieved some day, and I love that Tesla is pushing the envelope and forcing others to do the same. But, I don't think we're really that close. I hope I'm wrong on that.

This assumes that you supercharge exclusively and that FSD becomes a thing. I really believe that level 5 will be achieved some day, and I love that Tesla is pushing the envelope and forcing others to do the same. But, I don't think we're really that close. I hope I'm wrong on that.

5-10 years from now? sounds achievable. How long ICE cars last this days 20-30 years. I see 90's honda civics all the time.

I'm really struggling with this whole situation. I'm supposed to leave in an hour to pick-up my 3D, which I was happy with at the previous price points. As they stand now, I'd definitely spend an extra $6k to upgrade it to a P-. I have a call into the delivery center to see what my options are, but they seem to have no idea at this point. I'd be happy to get my exact car flashed to a P- for $6k, but I don't think Tesla has had enough time with this whole situation to sort out the options.

Nobody can say Tesla ownership isn't a bit of an adventure ;)

Oh Tesla.

Deciding how to pull the demand levers takes quite a bit of thought and data analysis. How'd they miss the obvious issue that existing owners would find this price swing hard to swallow 2-3 months after release? I guess there will be less volunteers at the end of Q4!

The upgrade was worth $5k to me at the time of purchase. Of course I'd take the same car for $5k less (lol who wouldn't?). There was a good point made earlier in the thread about insurance reimbursement if the car had to be totaled. Sales tax too. Also mentioned previously, if they discontinued P- and dropped the price of the bundle by $2k, this would have been a collective "Meh".

Spot on. Anyone and everyone at Tesla should have saw this coming.

Not one person had any balls to stand up this bull *sugar* and this saddens me. If you love your boss you would have made a stand here.

Hey, where's the refund (or some other form of compensation) for those of us who bought a MS 90D that was discontinued 2 months later and replaced with a bigger battery (100 kWh) plus standard PUP. If I had just waited a couple of more months to pull the trigger I could have gotten a better car for the same price....hmmm

I realize my example is slightly different but the outcome is still the same...accelerated depreciation of our cars.

Tesla set this precedent long ago (i.e. price cut of the 60kWh to 75kWh upgrade is another example)

Too bad for me that Fred doesn't own a MS 90D...
Exactly, and there are so many other examples. This is a really bad decision, resulting in an avalanche of unhappy customers because their name isn’t Fred and they can’t cry to Elon when these types of things impact them. I want my money from the price drop on the 90D that happened 1 week after delivery, as well as the gen 2 seats in my 3, and all other enhancements that have been made, and I want ap2 on my ap1 car, and I demand a free upgrade to ap2.5 and to 3 as soon as that comes out. I am an early adopter and I demand to get everything I want for free. Oh, and when will I get my free Roadster 2.0?

I'm really struggling with this whole situation. I'm supposed to leave in an hour to pick-up my 3D, which I was happy with at the previous price points. As they stand now, I'd definitely spend an extra $6k to upgrade it to a P-. I have a call into the delivery center to see what my options are, but they seem to have no idea at this point. I'd be happy to get my exact car flashed to a P- for $6k, but I don't think Tesla has had enough time with this whole situation to sort out the options.

This does not sound like an option. Either AWD or P+ for ~$10k. I would not count on a $5k discount from an off menu P- purchase when all info is on the table. You have the benefit of an informed buying decision.

This does not sound like an option. Either AWD or P+ for ~$10k. I would not count on a $5k discount from an off menu P- purchase when all info is on the table. You have the benefit of an informed buying decision.

I agree. The clear options are to cancel my current order and buy a P+ with "free" performance upgrade package, or keep it as it. My issue is the solution I'd ideally like is the gray area of what Tesla is doing with existing P- (unsold) cars. The more I think about it, the more likely I think it's not an option for any "new" orders to get any version of the P-.

I highly doubt you can get P3D- for $59K.
Either P3D+ for $64K or 3D for $53K

• Informative
Reactions: ronin