Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still can't wrap my head around opting for unlimited super charging instead of 5k. I usually spend more on snacks at a SC while a wait than I do in electricity, take my SC and show me the money. :)

Build a bear, pay your age. I was I was joking but someone is going to get murdered eventually over $2 worth of "free" electricity when contesting a charging spot.

jayden on Twitter <--- supercharger dispute

IMG_0112_1531413752005_5788123_ver1.0_640_360.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
3P owner here. I got free super charging because of an automatic referral and now perhaps a choice to get $5k or keep the charging. Isn't that different than what Elon was referring to? I think he was telling a 3p+ owner that they could choose between the two assuming s/he didn't already have free charging? Does it make sense to lose the charging when it was given already for a different reason?

Just because the price went down, doesn't make your decision illogical.
That’s true, the initial purchase decision was perfectly logical. But the point is that in a repeated game, it would be logical to avoid decisions that led to the price drop, i.e. next time don’t try to be an early adopter and a line waiter because the price is likely to drop a couple months later. Not in Tesla’s best interest to train their loyal customers this way.

3P owner here. I got free super charging because of an automatic referral and now perhaps a choice to get $5k or keep the charging. Isn't that different than what Elon was referring to? I think he was telling a 3p+ owner that they could choose between the two assuming s/he didn't already have free charging? Does it make sense to lose the charging when it was given already for a different reason?
Free lifetime supercharging is not available to new P3D buyers. The person complaining to Elon already had free supercharging. They wanted a $5K refund. Elon essentially said that all P3D owners who paid the higher price could have free supercharging or a $5K refund, but not both.

Last edited:
If you buy a car today it will not have free lifetime supercharging. Just 6 months.

I think we all should be happy Tesla will take care of this in some way. New advances or reduced future price is aways a risk when you buy a high tech innovative product. It could have easily been an even faster version for the same price or some other improvement. Model S owners have lived with this for years.

The expiring tax credit is going to add another dimension price reductions. My bet is Tesla will reduce the price for vehicles delivered after Jan 1 if ordered this year to offset the reduced tax credit. How are they possibly going to guarantee delivery on a car ordered late Nov or early Dec.

Unless you are selling your P3 tomorrow to me it makes no sense to call Tesla today for a refund. Elon said he will make it right. Give them time to sort out the logistics of doing this. Relax, enjoy the car you agreed to buy at a given price. We will get some offset in the future for the possible value reduction.

I don’t know if there’s any clarity yet from Elon for P3D- owners. I’m in that boat and would hope like the P3D+ owners to get the 5k refund and give up free supercharging for life. I would also consider getting the PUP upgrade on my P3D- or EAP and give up the supercharging. Just hoping this group isn’t left out of this whole ordeal. Popcorn is ready!

Reactions: Perry
If P3D- owners get $5k shouldn’t us AWD owners also get something? Then they’re only paying $6k more ($4k in some cases!) for the binned motors and extra burn in!

I really don't get this. The price didn't change on the AWD version and we have to give something (free supercharging) to get the money back. We paid 64k for our cars and the new cars come with PUP for the same 64k.

If we were to get the 5k back without giving up free supercharing I would agree with you.

What a mess. I hope Tesla publishes and official policy on Monday.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and Msjulie
That’s true, the initial purchase decision was perfectly logical. But the point is that in a repeated game, it would be logical to avoid decisions that led to the price drop, i.e. next time don’t try to be an early adopter and a line waiter because the price is likely to drop a couple months later. Not in Tesla’s best interest to train their loyal customers this way.
You do know that Tesla moves their prices up more often than down? An AI would probably learn that statistically buying now is better than buying later, unless you value at nothing utilizing the car today vs, in 10 years. I guarantee in 10 years you'll be able to get a better deal, in 20 years even better (more options, less money) so if having the car now vs. in 100 years is not a benefit, yes, AI will tell you wait forever.

Tesla continuously improves their products and adjusts pricing. People keep complaining that they keep on missing features, or price drops (bur not price increases or feature drops). That is a reality of a fast moving company. If the pleasure of owning a great car is going to be ruined for you by someone getting a better car (new features) and/or cheaper (price reductions), stay away from Tesla products, go with the traditional car manufacturers and buy at the very beginning of a model cycle (or buy an old used car at the very end of the model year cycle).

Reactions: Lem89 and P85_DA
Build a bear, pay your age. I was I was joking but someone is going to get murdered eventually over $2 worth of "free" electricity when contesting a charging spot.

jayden on Twitter <--- supercharger dispute

We are definitely going to see a brawl or two at Supercharger stations, it’s bound to happen with all the new cars hitting the road...I was at Culver City SC recently and there was a line of 6-7 Teslas waiting...imagine someone skipping the line and pulling right in...no bueno.

Reactions: P85_DA and MXWing
We are definitely going to see a brawl or two at Supercharger stations, it’s bound to happen with all the new cars hitting the road...I was at Culver City SC recently and there was a line of 6-7 Teslas waiting...imagine someone skipping the line and pulling right in...no bueno.
You can totally blame Elon for supercharger overcrowding. He planned the supercharger expansion assuming FSD was going to be available by now. How does FSD solve supercharger overcrowding you ask? Well:
  1. No local charging problems - any locals who don't have access to home charging, simply tell their car to drive to the supercharger overnight, charge there, and return home by morning commute time. This allows 24/7 supercharger utilization, so instantly 2x to 3x the capacity
  2. No idle cars in stalls, as soon a car is done charging, it pulls out automatically allowing the next car to charge - so higher utilization of chargers
It would also allow people to go to any restaurant or stores they wish, have the car drive to charge and pick them up later.

So, in the end, this is all Elon's fault for failing to plan for "what if FSD doesn't come" scenario.

Similar story on Service Center overcrowding - Elon planned on problem free, no service center visits required, quality of Model 3 - he expected to sell them and never see them again until it's time for 1 year maintenance.

;)

Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
You do know that Tesla moves their prices up more often than down? An AI would probably learn that statistically buying now is better than buying later, unless you value at nothing utilizing the car today vs, in 10 years. I guarantee in 10 years you'll be able to get a better deal, in 20 years even better (more options, less money) so if having the car now vs. in 100 years is not a benefit, yes, AI will tell you wait forever.

Tesla continuously improves their products and adjusts pricing. People keep complaining that they keep on missing features, or price drops (bur not price increases or feature drops). That is a reality of a fast moving company. If the pleasure of owning a great car is going to be ruined for you by someone getting a better car (new features) and/or cheaper (price reductions), stay away from Tesla products, go with the traditional car manufacturers and buy at the very beginning of a model cycle (or buy an old used car at the very end of the model year cycle).
People keep acting like this is unique to Tesla. If you buy a car at the beginning of the model cycle you will be paying the maximum amount for a car. Prices go down as the model ages and then go back up when a new, better model comes out. When all of you previously purchased cars were you worried about what the someone else paid a month later?
Not obvious, elons tweet didn't mention the +. It's still up in the air if its everyone. After all, us that didn't get the + now lost $4-5k in resale value...
Lowering the prices of higher end models decreases the value of lower end models. It was a joke though. I don’t actually think Tesla owes me anything (though I would certainly take it!).

Reactions: P85_DA
People keep acting like this is unique to Tesla. If you buy a car at the beginning of the model cycle you will be paying the maximum amount for a car. Prices go down as the model ages and then go back up when a new, better model comes out. When all of you previously purchased cars were you worried about what the someone else paid a month later?
A month later? How about the next day, because they negotiated a better price?

We live in the age of social outrage and everyone feeling entitled. If someone else got something, everyone feels they are also entitled to get the same or else it's to the internet to rage. Similar to little children "no fair, my brother got more ice-cream, so I should too! <stomp><stomp>".

Maybe they should have people sign an acknowledgement when buying Tesla's "I acknowledge that I am fully aware that tomorrow there may be more or different features available at higher or lower prices, and that I am not entitled to any retroactive changes beyond what was promised to be at the time of ordering". That's actually just common sense, but evidently not that common.

To all those who believe they are entitled to a refund, how do you deal with other products which go on sale or reduce prices by 10% 2 or 3 months later? I'm not even talking stocks, but say electronics/computers? It is not at all unusual for example for new Intel CPU to come out at $2,500 and 2-3 months later be sold for sub $2,000. Do you go on twitter and forums to demand $500, or $1,000 or whatever the price difference is?

To all those who believe they are entitled to a refund, how do you deal with other products which go on sale or reduce prices by 10% 2 or 3 months later? I'm not even talking stocks, but say electronics/computers? It is not at all unusual for example for new Intel CPU to come out at $2,500 and 2-3 months later be sold for sub $2,000. Do you go on twitter and forums to demand $500, or $1,000 or whatever the price difference is?

It's different with tesla. Tesla tells you when you can get your car and they will give you the lowest price (the one you ordered at or the current rate), but when you purchased the car for a cheaper rate, you didn't actually get the car! It's different because you don't know when you will get the car because it takes months for them to make it. It's not your fault you end up getting the car a day week or month before they change prices. I really think they should give you a month price guarantee with the way they are doing business, since they can't even properly tell you when your delivery will be.

For many of us we had to go through many hoops just to get a car and it's a slap in the face to have gone through them just to have the car be 5k cheaper a couple days later. Yes I do feel we should be treated fairly for putting down money years in advance on a car that isn't out. Not cool to have to do that AND pay extra and get the car only a few weeks sooner.

For me I had to buy a car just to get my past the first delay (was supposed to be May-June for delivery). Then I sold the car when I was given a delivery date for September and my deliveries were canceled I had to find another car to borrow to get by for another month or two until they could actually get me a car.

Then we have this whole loan mess with interest rates jumping up, but you can't time getting a loan because they keep canceling your delivery. Then when it finally came time to pickup the car I had to turn down the first car for multiple QC issues (wanted to repaint 5 panels), and by the time I got to the second car (only to find out later it was someone else's reject car) it was take it or get a new loan for $1000 more, and keep borrowing another vehicle and paying the $800 in fuel charges every month, or maybe do another rental for a better on gas car. I think the second car I was offered is even worse unless they actually get me into the service center.

They have yet to address anything on the due bill, so the car is only partially delivered IMO as they have not filled their part of the agreement! So yes I want some compensation for the price reduction days after I allowed the reject car to be mine on a promise that they will eventually fix it for me. Up until the car is fixed they should match the price / car!

Yet someone can now order one, no year wait, get a perfect car, and with the PUP for free, only a week later. Yes that hurts, for sure I will NEVER reserve another tesla if that's the way they are going to spin it. As it is there was very little point to reservation as people were getting their cars before the reservation holders!

Now legally they don't have to, but that does not make it right.
You can call it entitlement I call it compensation and treating your customers fairly.

Sometimes when other products go on sale places will price match, but if not they are also not usually $5000 on sale, and didn't require waiting over a year to get. They are also not typically things you need to take out a loan to acquire. No Tesla technically does not owe me anything, I agree! But after the treatment I have received I would not be able to bring myself to buy another one unless they do something. No one wants to go through this kind of car buying experience just to have to pay more for less after jumping through all the hoops, not to mention the 1-2 year wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jedi2155

I got my car less than a month ago, along with thousands of other customers because we were used for the Q3 push. Cars that should have never left the factory were sold to us, and many of us are still waiting for service to address the many issues. My brand new car is at a body shop right now. All I know is if I don't get a refund I might as well trade in this one and get a better built one. It's not just about the price decrease, it's about a whole chain of events, and seeing as how you don't own a model 3 I don't know why you're on here trolling us.