Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true. Brand new Intel CPU's are introduced at a high price, drop way before the next CPU shows up - you pay $500+ to have it as soon as it comes out. After the demand drops, they start selling for less. Same thing as occurred here with P3D.

I really don’t think a CPU price drop is comparable to a P Model 3.

1.) Scale of price. 10 percent loss on a CPU is nowhere near the same league as on a car.
2.) CPUs can be resold with minimal friction.
3.) Everything around the CPU is USABLE for a long time. Motherboard, ram, GPU, chassis, monitor, storage.

Scale scale scale matters.. I take a 50 percent equity loss on my cell phone annually.

Tesla’s 5000 equity drop (perceived) makes me feel like that could have covered 10 years worth of cell phone replacements!!

Being an economist I know the above is not actually true, but you need to put yourself in the shoes of the customer who feels wronged.

Just own up to what Elon already did. Too much of a drop, too fast. That’s the TLDR of everyone’s bitching.

I like where you are headed. At least some form of predictability even over a relatively short time horizon (think months) would be good. People keep bringing up CPUs even though they are like 100X cheaper than a major investment like a car but even with CPUs the downward price curve is fairly predictable and people can make decisions accordingly.

I’ll share one of my Tesla secrets.

I had an option to take delivery of my Model 3 end of July.

I pushed it to the day after the Q2 conference call. I wanted to hear about any potential bomb shells that should make me rethink delivery.

Sure enough..
AP3 announcement!
Nope no delivery for me!
Oh it’s a refit.. free with FSD!

Delivery goes on as scheduled...

How many buyers knew that? Very few. Buyers shouldn’t have to work that hard to protect themselves. That’s bad for business.

Sometimes you can’t make everyone happy, you really can’t. But gotta try your best. Tesla didn’t do that here. When your CEO is defending your practices to thousands of people on Friday afternoon, something went very wrong.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Elon tweeted once Tesla may build $25,000 model in the future. That's like Tesla's intrusion to Honda Accord and Toyota Camry domain. That is the target for literally millions of people, beyond the scale of Model 3.

I hope Elon and top managers who passed the new price with free PUP learned the lesson that they have to be super careful with new pricing with thorough research. It may have worked in Model S with tens of thousand buyers, but in bigger market, that approach may not be as sound decision. I really think this has to do with market size. More angry buyers can speak ill of Teslas. More happy buyers will create more referrals to their friends and advertise it for free in media such as Youtube and FB, tweeters.

If they don't learn, it will only feed the shorts.

1.) Scale of price. 10 percent loss on a CPU is nowhere near the same league as on a car.
3.) Everything around the CPU is USABLE for a long time. Motherboard, ram, GPU, chassis, monitor, storage.

Scale scale scale matters.. I take a 50 percent equity loss on my cell phone annually.

Tesla’s 5000 equity drop (perceived) makes me feel like that could have covered 10 years worth of cell phone replacements!!

Being an economist I know the above is not actually true, but you need to put yourself in the shoes of the customer who feels wronged.

Just own up to what Elon already did. Too much of a drop, too fast. That’s the TLDR of everyone’s bitching.
Yep, with cpus you know ahead of time what is coming out and about when, it's a terrible comparison. Plus this isn't a new faster more efficient design it's a package that is now either missing oro5k more expensive that is now free with your non reservation purchase. I get that it entices new buyers but slaps the loyal ones that just got their cars.

How would everyone feel if autopilot was now free with purchase, but only if you didn't reserve a car?

If that's what they want to do they are free to do it, there is no entitlement issue here, they owe us nothing. However we don't have to be happy about it and we can all be with our wallets on our next car purchases.

If they screw p3d- buyers who just got their cars I will just go back to one of the many other manufacturers, when if it means an ice or phev. The volt is very low maintenance and can almost get me home off battery alone. No it's not a Tesla but it's value isn't going to drop 5k overnight either. I thought I wanted the Tesla experience but I guess I'm just not rich enough to toss around or shrug off $5000 changes while my car still needs to be completed a week after delivery.

Lesson learned! It's just not a lesson I thought I would learn from Tesla.

Now i just need to learn all there Tesla bashing jokes so I can make fun of myself for owning one. Perhaps "money pit" is s better car name than 'f Tesla" or "Tesla sux".

gotta be able to laugh at yourself and your worst investment ever right?

Last edited:
so true, hah. But cars are investments just not great ones. Especially the P3D- apparently. Tax incentive has been wiped out with the flip of the free PUP switch.

Unless you are purchasing a collectible car, cars are in fact not investments; cars are a deprecating asset. The very moment you purchase a car and drive it off the lot, you lose money.

I’m not sure what this has to do with implying I left off “arguably” to dramatically change the meaning of his quote.

The point is that he only thinks it could be argued as such, and thus a "corrective action" taken will be tempered with that in mind, and this is what we saw: a promise to pay $5k in exchange for your FSUC.

If he had said, "yes, it was too much too soon", a corrective action wouldn't be requiring P3D[-/+] owners to give up something in exchange for some type of resolution.

Tesla has to be able to adjust bundles, trims, and pricing as they see fit. They are running a business in a very competitive market. Other automakers are trying to take the market share back from Tesla. You guys are making it extremely hard on Tesla and Elon.

People (including Fred) like to point out that Tesla has only been mass producing Model 3 since June, and that they shouldn't be making changes like these so quickly. While true, people should also realize since June, new cars are out (I-PACE), new EV's are being revealed (Taycan, e-tron, EQC), and even new gas car upgrades like the new BMW M3 have caught attention. All these cars are selling at Tesla's price point and could potentially convert some on the fence.

This is a fluid market, at anytime Tesla may need to adjust things to make their cars more attractive. It's part of running a business in a competitive field and staying ahead of the game. To suggest that they can't and shouldn't be adjusting prices, bundles, and trims just because they haven't been mass producing cars long enough is ridiculous.

By just including PUP in P3D, they've made P3D that much more attractive over a competitive BMW M3 which eerily has very similar specs and starting price. Some suggested they should've bundled PUP but raised the P3D price. But the point is to stay more attractive than your competition and pull more people away from the ICE machines. It'll be harder to do that when you raise the price above competitors base.

Anyways, what's with some people not happy about $5k because they didn't want to lose free supercharging? Good lord.

Included supercharging (there’s nothing free about it) is worth $3K/year to me.

Don’t bother calculating based upon rated miles and parroting that silliness. In town I get barely 55% of rated range. And, after 1.5 years of owning the current Model S, on the highway, point to point from SC to SC st moderate speed on flat roads in good wx, I get 94.9% of the range I got when new - which was 294 miles.

So while I regard the Model 3 at best with lukewarmness, any interest I had in a P3D left the building when included SCing went away. Although since Tesla has been playing games with SCing for 2 years now, it may be back. My dollars won’t be, however - between the continued bait and switchy, poorly-executed efforts (see the 600 posts to date in this thread) and the worsening UI/UX, it’s not a hard decision.

As a shareholder, I’m not happy - fortunately I’m a believer in holding TSLA for the looooooong term (dreaming of a Tesla pickup truck that by any measure should be a Ford F-250/350 killer at the very least). As an owner, I’m less happy than that.

Obviously, given this thread, people feel wronged. I'm not surprised that there are some who do, but surprised how many. I wonder how many people wouldn't have felt wronged if they didn't read the social media outrage, so they joined in. I'm actually somewhat fascinated by this. Talked with a friend who promised to get me some more information on the psychology of why people feel wronged in such situations, even though their situation is not at all impacted by someone else getting something (and yes, I am omitting a slight impact on resale value because that would mostly be offset by the federal credit going away by the time people will be selling their P3Ds - think about it, people ordering now at a lower price will not get the car this year, so they lose half or all of the rebate if some of the proposed legislature comes through).

Maybe Elon should said PUP is included now, price is $5K higher, but there is now $3,750 discount now for the first 3 months, then $5,000, and called it a "federal-rebate-loss offset for P3D buyers" and then tell people Tesla can only afford to give this offset on their highest margin car. Maybe he would have been hailed a hero for offsetting the loss of the federal rebate, so doing basically the same thing, but framing it differently.

Last edited:
I felt wronged the moment I found out this specific sub-group of 3 owners were getting refunds but every other Tesla owner since the founding of the company who got screwed by a sudden change or price drop won't be getting anything.

I'm owed $2,500 for my AWD 3 including all the options I paid for, where's my refund?

• Funny
If Tesla is gonna take a hit they could give to us with a much lesser hit. If they gave these for free vs the 5K Id be happy.

-Full FSD
-Free Supercharging for life of the car not life of the ownership.
-AP3 HW upgrade
-Track Mode (which he already said)

• Funny
I emailed, messaged via the accout page, and mailed via certified snail mail as follows:
“I accept Tesla’s offer of a $5,000 refund in lieu of unlimited supercharging, after the $5,000 price reduction on my model. Please send check. Thanks.”

• Funny