Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: Tesla’s “special” refunds

I took advantage of their limited time end of Q3 financing rate match refund offer (in the first week of Q4, but that is a different story.)

Nothing was formally noted in my account at any point along the way. Communication was entirely over email, so there was a paper trail FWIW. Eventually, I got an email that said “We have processed. You should be receiving [a check] within 10-15 business days.” It showed up less than a week later.

The most frustrating part was the delay between responses and some non-responses. Stay patient, and ask for escalation in writing (email) if things go silent on their end would be my advice.

Elon,

Leave the new pricing in place and offer lifetime Supercharging for $7,500.
This way the early adopter will feel they saved $2500. This should also please the P3D-, not just the P3D+.

The late adopter will be unlikely to pay $7,500 for this service. And if they do Tesla Shareholders will be happy they are not subsidizing it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jedi2155 and P85_DA
Only in the world of Tesla does people get upset when they paid more then their neighbor for the same car. I bought a 2015 mustang when new and so did my friend. My friend walked away with a better deal (lower cost) for a identical car on the same weekend as me. This happens literally with everyone everyday at dealerships.

So it’s funny how some 1. Act like this is a first this has ever happened to them buying a car and 2. Talk about going back to a another manufacturer who doesn’t control the price (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price) and pay more or less then MSRP then what the joe did 5 mins ago

Only in the world of Tesla does people get upset when they paid more then their neighbor for the same car. I bought a 2015 mustang when new and so did my friend. My friend walked away with a better deal (lower cost) for a identical car on the same weekend as me. This happens literally with everyone everyday at dealerships.

So it’s funny how some 1. Act like this is a first this has ever happened to them buying a car and 2. Talk about going back to a another manufacturer who doesn’t control the price (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price) and pay more or less then MSRP then what the joe did 5 mins ago
i think it’s different when negotiating [ICE] cars at dealerships versus buying a Tesla at a set price, online, with no negotiation.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan

You're forgetting that other manufactueres purposefully obfuscate they pricing so dealers can sell at various parties and still make money. Anyone buying a car from traditional means that pays MSRP is a sucker. If you paid more you're a sucker plus. If you paid less then you didn't get a deal you just paid close to the true value of the car.

Tesla is a direct to consumer company. You can't equate them to dealerships. You are better off comparing them to retail stores Most retail stores have a 30day price match gaurantee. They also offer buy back protection for the first 90 days in case something like this happens.

As a P3D- owner I'm pissed. They just destroyed the value of my car. Nobody will buy a P3D without the PUP. Truth be told, it should have been included in the base price from the beginning.

That being said I just got off the phone with Tesla. They are offering a third option for those of us with P3D- to get the PUP installed. I'm not sure if we'll have to give up FUSC but they are giving us an upgrade option. So I'm very happy about that as it restores the value of my car.

• Funny
Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I am amazed to see so many owners happy to trade in the free supercharger they got for free. I would never give something back just by principle.

Those owners should study game theory before they take their $5k for turning back in something they had in hand.

With that logic why not offer $10k back but we void your warrenty. Elon is offering absolutely nothing of value. Further I would say he is taking advantage of the ones willing to do the trade by hurting the ones that take that offer even more.

Your trade in will be worth $5k less if you take the offer. Therefore you gained nothing.

This is why that offer is not appropriate and makes even more unhappy people.

I am amazed to see so many owners happy to trade in the free supercharger they got for free. I would never give something back just by principle.

Those owners should study game theory before they take their $5k for turning back in something they had in hand.

With that logic why not offer $10k back but we void your warrenty. Elon is offering absolutely nothing of value. Further I would say he is taking advantage of the ones willing to do the trade by hurting the ones that take that offer even more.

Your trade in will be worth $5k less if you take the offer. Therefore you gained nothing.

This is why that offer is not appropriate and makes even more unhappy people.
How would my car be worth $5k less if I take the offer. I have a P3D-, I will still have no performance parts after the deal and the SC is not transferable so the value of the car will be the same if sold. If kept the 5K is much larger than I would even SC for several reasons. It is not good for the car's battery to SC in the quantity that will equal 5K. You would have to SC for something like 80,000 miles continuous on SC only to make that up. Second, 5-10 years from now, I am not sure they will even honor the life time SC. You never know what CEO or leadership will decide by then. SC is a promise not 5K in the pocket.

But free SC makes no sense from a different perspective. If I were to put 5K in a REIT (i.e. RQI) it would give me in dividends all the free SC I would be using for the life of the car. RQI has consistently paid 12% per year in dividend. That's $600 a year on a 5K investment. Most people don't use more than $600 SC per year. Oh and you get to keep the 5K too while getting $600 worth of SC per year.

Last edited:
Reactions: PessimiStick
That being said I just got off the phone with Tesla. They are offering a third option for those of us with P3D- to get the PUP installed. I'm not sure if we'll have to give up FUSC but they are giving us an upgrade option. So I'm very happy about that as it restores the value of my car.

Can p3d- get $5k back, or only get Pup installed? Already paid to have brakes painted.

This is not a problem with just one correct answer. We all have different breakeven points. Do the math for yourself and let the numbers decide. Each individual will have varying supercharger usage, anticipated supercharged miles driven, driving efficiency, anticipated holding period for this car, guesses for when and if your car can become an autonomous “Uber”, whether Tesla will let you supercharge your autonomous “Uber”, etc.

Nothing to be upset about now. Elon/Tesla has given us all the option to have last month’s deal (5k more but free supercharging) or this month’s deal (5k less but no supercharging).

For me when I did the math I decided I’m better or taking the refund. I don’t anticipate driving enough supercharged miles (~75k) during my ownership of this car. I completely do not anticipate this car to become an autonomous taxi while I’m not using it. I assign a 0% probability to this in my decision tree. Within the next decade yes but not within the 3-4 years I plan on owning this car.

How would my car be worth $5k less if I take the offer. I have a P3D-, I will still have no performance parts after the deal and the SC is not transferable so the value of the

car will be the same if sold. If kept the 5K is much larger than I would even SC for several reasons. It is not good for the car's battery to SC in the quantity that will equal 5K. You would have to SC for something like 80,000 miles continuous on SC only to make that up. Second, 5-10 years from now, I am not sure they will even honor the life time SC. You never know what CEO or leadership will decide by then. SC is a promise not 5K in the pocket.

But free SC makes no sense from a different perspective. If I were to put 5K in a REIT (i.e. RQI) it would give me in dividends all the free SC I would be using for the life of the car. RQI has consistently paid 12% per year in dividend. That's $600 a year on a 5K investment. Most people don't use more than $600 SC per year. Oh and you get to keep the 5K too while getting $600 worth of SC per year.

Because you have an undesirable option P3D- your car is worth $10 k less if you take the offer. So you can take the $5 k upfront but your car will be worth even less than if you keep the supercharger.

Because you have an undesirable option P3D- your car is worth $10 k less if you take the offer. So you can take the $5 k upfront but your car will be worth even less than if you keep the supercharger.

Not sure how a 59k p3d- would be undesirable. If that's the eventual outcome, I would consider myself the luckiest p3d buyer of them all.