Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, for all those who are planning to hold Elon reponsible, you forgot he's a clever guy and thinks out of the box. By announcing that he stripped himself of any official company position, he's indirectly telling you "I had no official power to promise you anything at all".

Uhh but SEC documents literally say to follow Elon on Twitter for information about Tesla, come on now. Form 8-K

"Legally required officers of a corporation are president, treasurer & secretary. Guess I have to keep 1st one or it will confuse the authorities."
He has to keep a president on staff, yes, but president was never one of his titles (they used to be CEO, Chaiman, Product Architect), so he can just hire or designate a puppet, then continue tweeting with impunity.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Jesus this is getting ugly. Elon will probably pull 30M under his pillow to keep us happy but I highly doubt that something like this will ever happen.

I hope they learn from this mess.

PS: I love my model 3 P3D- :).

Yes, it sure is. This thread reminds me of something that happened with a little car company named Toyota. At the time they were producing a car called the Supra and this generation of Supra had an issue with head gaskets failing possibly due to design or head bolt torque spec being too low. As rumor had it at the time, Toyota was working toward a solution that would cover head gasket replacement and any associated damage or reimburse for those that had paid for the work to be done. As this was happening, groups of owners were getting angry, banded together and started discussing suing Toyota. Once the word of lawsuits got to Toyota, they backed off to avoid what I assume would be admitting fault in some way and that was the end of that. Owners had to pay to get this fixed on their own. Maybe people sued. Maybe some won. Most owners lost as they neither sued and had to pay for repairs.

If it ends up meeting the requirements to lemon the car of course I would. Yes I'm mad with tesla and the quality of the car. That's why it has the name F Tesla. It also tried to crash me into a freeway median today on my way to work testing EAP on NAV, so I guess it's not liking it's new name.

IMHO, you are so unhappy with this car, your buying experience, and Tesla, you need to get out. Even before this price drop, you seemed to regret making the decision to upgrade to P and then taking a car that had damage due to pressure with your loan rate, lack of car, gas expenses or whatever. Someone will buy that car, especially someone that is not in CA that can't get a Tesla as quickly as CA owners can. Your losses will only grow with length of ownership. Sell the car, cut your loss, and move on. I'm not a tax expert, but you may want to check with one as you may be able to claim the US federal tax credit as the original owner with the intention of keeping it. List it on national auto trader or something, be done with it, and get back to enjoying life instead of being pissed at your car everyday.

Yes, it sure is. This thread reminds me of something that happened with a little car company named Toyota. At the time they were producing a car called the Supra and this generation of Supra had an issue with head gaskets failing possibly due to design or head bolt torque spec being too low. As rumor had it at the time, Toyota was working toward a solution that would cover head gasket replacement and any associated damage or reimburse for those that had paid for the work to be done. As this was happening, groups of owners were getting angry, banded together and started discussing suing Toyota. Once the word of lawsuits got to Toyota, they backed off to avoid what I assume would be admitting fault in some way and that was the end of that. Owners had to pay to get this fixed on their own. Maybe people sued. Maybe some won. Most owners lost as they neither sued and had to pay for repairs.

IMHO, you are so unhappy with this car, your buying experience, and Tesla, you need to get out. Even before this price drop, you seemed to regret making the decision to upgrade to P and then taking a car that had damage due to pressure with your loan rate, lack of car, gas expenses or whatever. Someone will buy that car, especially someone that is not in CA that can't get a Tesla as quickly as CA owners can. Your losses will only grow with length of ownership. Sell the car, cut your loss, and move on. I'm not a tax expert, but you may want to check with one as you may be able to claim the US federal tax credit as the original owner with the intention of keeping it. List it on national auto trader or something, be done with it, and get back to enjoying life instead of being pissed at your car everyday.
Or I can wait and see if tesla makes it right? Besides the losses would be much to high for the first 3 years anyways. I do like the car (assuming the problems will be corrected), I don't like the buying experience, delivery experience, waiting experience and so far the service experience too. At this point I'm wondering if I can fix all the alignment issues myself and then just take it to a body shop to be repainted.

For the love of all things holy, can we ever dispense with P3D MINUS ... sigh,,, call my car an AWD+ since that is more accurate... maybe I just need to change my sig to that..

:oops:
I empathize - perhaps more accurate would be P3D and P3DP which only denotes (as it should) only one difference (P - Performance, Package, Plus, Plush - whatever strikes your fancy). P3D- and P3D+ semantically end up pointing to two differences (i.e + and - quantitatively applied to whole numbers would result in a difference of 2 :)). In BMW world, M3 without a Competition Package certainly isn't M3- as it wouldn't make a great deal of sense. In any case though - I think the name is stuck and there isn't much you can do.

Reactions: RyanT and Msjulie
As for tagging accounts, I doubt their CRM has a field "$5000 refund" already there but you never know. And yes they likely just added a note to the account, but it will be in a freeform field, so not trivial to generate a list from that; unless they have specific instructions on how to do that. So yes, they will likely send an email to all folks who own a performance model-3 (that are not employee's?).

As for Elon's title sideshow, I read when he recently purchased additional shares he identified his title on the paperwork.

As for tagging accounts, I doubt their CRM has a field "$5000 refund" already there but you never know. And yes they likely just added a note to the account, but it will be in a freeform field, so not trivial to generate a list from that; unless they have specific instructions on how to do that. So yes, they will likely send an email to all folks who own a performance model-3 (that are not employee's?).

Zero chance I'd allow a '$5k refund' field in any of my CRM instances. :) Fetching all P3D owners will be a matter for reporting or operations, not through some field in CRM that will be useless in months.

Whenever someone on here is told by a rep they've been 'flagged' or 'marked' for consideration, I assume that's just phone rep talk for 'I documented your account regarding this conversation'. The wait to see what is really going to happen, if anything, continues...

Except that the offer you received was from someone who holds no official position at Tesla. Elon just annouced that he gave up all his official positions/titles at the company last week, BEFORE he made the tweet. So promises from him hold no more value that a random Tesla employee telling you that they'll give everyone a free P100D.

Elon Musk says he deleted his Tesla titles 'to see what would happen'

So, for all those who are planning to hold Elon reponsible, you forgot he's a clever guy and thinks out of the box. By announcing that he stripped himself of any official company position prior to the tweet in question, he's indirectly telling you "I had no official power to promise you anything at all".

Hilarious. The issue isn’t what was going on inside Elon’s troubled head, unknown to the Board of Directors, it is what did Tesla project to the world at the time of the offer, which is that Elon was president.

Hilarious. The issue isn’t what was going on inside Elon’s troubled head, unknown to the Board of Directors, it is what did Tesla project to the world at the time of the offer, which is that Elon was president.

I don't really care about the $5K back in trade for free supercharging. I'll probably use $3k in supercharging anyways, there's the hassle of it, and I like the expression on peoples faces when they ask how much it costs to charge at a supercharger : )

I do want the track mode on my P3D- though. Hopefully that goes through!

I’m supposed to take delivery tomorrow of a P3D- and I have no idea what to do. I called my advisor and Tesla and everyone is confused. They think I will have the option to delay my delivery and they will upgrade my car with the performance pack or I could take the car as is with an undisclosed rebate. If I did keep as a P3D- would i still get track mode when available? I’d be happy to use the $5k to buy my own upgraded wheels and don’t really need the brakes. What would you all do if those are presented as options?
So any update on your new car? Did they accommodate you in any way with a $5K refund? I’m dealing with the same issue.

I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd post it here as well since it's very relevant:

Elon appears to have made an offer in his tweet to allow people to exchange free unlimited supercharging for a $5K refund. However, there's a big problem with this that no one has mentioned here.

Not every P3D has free unlimited supercharging. Free unlimited supercharging was offered for the performance Model 3 with a referral code, up until September 15th. Elon made an exception via tweet to extend the offer to 9/18 because some people's referral links weren't working.

On 9/21, Tesla annouced that inventory S, X, and P3D vehicles that you could take delivery of before 9/30 (end of Q3) would have FUSC with a referral code.

I ordered my P3D+ on 9/26 without a referral code. This was after 9/18, so not eligible for FUSC under that program, and it was not an inventory vehicle so not eligible for FUSC with the end-of-quarter referral program. It was delivered 10/8. I should also mention that this order was from a day 1 reservation anyway, so I don't even think I'm eligible to use a referral link at all.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of P3D's (+ and -) that don't have the FUSC to "trade" for the discount.

Now, let me be clear that I don't feel that Tesla owes me anything. I got the exact car I wanted for the price I agreed to pay, end of story. And I'm fine with exactly that.

What I would not be fine with is some sort of deal for some people and not others that is solely dependent on WHEN you bought your P3D or whether you clicked a certain link.

I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd post it here as well since it's very relevant:

Elon appears to have made an offer in his tweet to allow people to exchange free unlimited supercharging for a $5K refund. However, there's a big problem with this that no one has mentioned here.

Not every P3D has free unlimited supercharging. Free unlimited supercharging was offered for the performance Model 3 with a referral code, up until September 15th. Elon made an exception via tweet to extend the offer to 9/18 because some people's referral links weren't working.

On 9/21, Tesla annouced that inventory S, X, and P3D vehicles that you could take delivery of before 9/30 (end of Q3) would have FUSC with a referral code.

I ordered my P3D+ on 9/26 without a referral code. This was after 9/18, so not eligible for FUSC under that program, and it was not an inventory vehicle so not eligible for FUSC with the end-of-quarter referral program. It was delivered 10/8. I should also mention that this order was from a day 1 reservation anyway, so I don't even think I'm eligible to use a referral link at all.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of P3D's (+ and -) that don't have the FUSC to "trade" for the discount.

Now, let me be clear that I don't feel that Tesla owes me anything. I got the exact car I wanted for the price I agreed to pay, end of story. And I'm fine with exactly that.

What I would not be fine with is some sort of deal for some people and not others that is solely dependent on WHEN you bought your P3D or whether you clicked a certain link.
I think you missed this tweet:

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 9.28.43 AM.png

My interpretation is that you would've gotten FUSC retroactively.

Reactions: Jedi2155