Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me I feel more like it was a kick to the nuts, after a delivery beat-down. With the timing between the two just long enough for me to think the pain would subside then wham!

If the all P3D performance comes from a software only update, tesla should easily be able to afford rebates / discounts / credit or whatever to all performance buyers. After all, performance buyers paid $11000 for a software unlock. There's no way that kind of software is more complex than the $5000 autopilot option. Or the $8000 full self driving purchase!

I feel your situation. A lot more than some of the people here. Though I'll have to disagree on Tesla can "afford" to give out money.

A dollar whether it comes from Performance unlock, autopilot, or a t-shirt is still a dollar.

They are still deep in debt, and the stock is extremely overvalued.

tesla-cash-flow-ars-colors.png

So uh.... when are they actually going to tell us what the plan is? I am half tempted to just keep my FUSC on principle, as I don't think Tesla owes me anything. Unfortunately that 5k would be pretty nice right now if they offer it freely I will take it. My 76K Performance Model 3 actually cost me a lot more than that because I was holding almost the full value of the car in Tesla Stock when Elon tanked the stock price almost like the universe was out to get me; I had to sell at a bad time because my car had finally arrived and it was time to pay. I know I know, Tesla is not at fault for my investing decisions, but the way it played out for me was that Elon's "funding secured" debacle timed with his quarter end push to deliver my car really cost me quite a bit of money. If Tesla truly offers the option I will take it; but only extremely gratefully because they really don't owe me anything.

Agreed, I think I'm going to keep the free supercharging. It probably isn't that much different anyways. Bring on the track mode for P3D- though!

I think they just should have left the performance prices alone and made EAP standard. I think that would make FSD more attractive when it is finally available at a higher price. Just not sure of the liability issues of making Beta software standard.

So uh.... when are they actually going to tell us what the plan is? I am half tempted to just keep my FUSC on principle, as I don't think Tesla owes me anything. Unfortunately that 5k would be pretty nice right now if they offer it freely I will take it. My 76K Performance Model 3 actually cost me a lot more than that because I was holding almost the full value of the car in Tesla Stock when Elon tanked the stock price almost like the universe was out to get me; I had to sell at a bad time because my car had finally arrived and it was time to pay. I know I know, Tesla is not at fault for my investing decisions, but the way it played out for me was that Elon's "funding secured" debacle timed with his quarter end push to deliver my car really cost me quite a bit of money. If Tesla truly offers the option I will take it; but only extremely gratefully because they really don't owe me anything.
I was going to buy a demo P3D+ all loaded up (I am not an early reservation holder) on the last day trading day of the quarter BUT I lost more than the value of the car with the stock falling that day that I walked away!

Glad I held the stock and I can probably buy that same demo car that I see everyday in the lot (really nice red/white interior with FUSC) at end of quarter and get the full tax credit.
Do you expect another end of quarter push to sell from Tesla?

What's the official way of requesting the trade of supercharger for 5k refund? Please share if you have any success with any department.

If you have accepted delivery of your P3D, then there isn't one.

Unfortunately for all of us, all 45+ pages of this thread amounts to little more than shoulder shrugs and venting.

That doesn't mean there isn't a TON of speculation in here...but don't take anything you've read in here as gospel.

It really amazes me some of the responses here. This is supposed to be a community for us owners where we can support each other. Not just tear each other apart. So let's start trying to work towards that goal shall we?

I realize not all of you feel the same way as I do on how we've been treated. That's fine you don't have to. But we should all at least respect that there are a large number of us who genuinely feel misled and cheated. The reality is there was no way to make an accurate, informed, and reasonable buying decision when each of us made the purchase because Tesla did not give us all the information, they misled the public and let us think what we wanted to. They allowed us to speculate instead of clarifying. This is a major problem to me. Regardless of legality this is about Tesla being a good corporate citizen and I do not feel they were being that throughout this process. My experience with them personally has so far been extremely poor customer service.

Some of you have mentioned that we have no right to bitch because a deal is a deal and companies change prices all the time. I like the Apple analogy because it actually proves an interesting point. When Apple releases a new version of a product, its a full year later and as such has had a full year of market opportunity. If they drop the price, add new features, etc. they aren't under obligation to the first purchasers.

However, virtually every business that sells products to consumers whether that be Apple, Amazon, Target, etc. all have a price match gaurantee. This guarantee entitles a purchaser to a partial or full refund of a product within a certain time period (typically 30 days, 90 days if it's Costco). They often also offer the ability to swap a product for the newer counterpart within the same time period. This includes Apple. If Apple drops a new iPad and you just bought last year's model at full price a week ago, they will give you a partial refund or an upgrade. Why? Because that's what being a good corporate citizen is about. It's how you keep customers loyal. It's how you build good consumer relationships. That is the standard and it is not unreasonable as a consumer to expect companies to follow these examples.

So Tesla releases a brand new car less than two months ago. Then they suddenly drop the price, including a dubious $5k upgrade package, at base price. I say dubious because there was little solid information about the package until the car's hit the streets. Tesla misled their customers during pre-order with what was included. They let us think what we wanted, they never clarified, they never provided additional information in order to give customers a fighting chance at making a well informed decision. So all of us, P3D- and P3D+, made purchasing decisions based on that mis-information one way or another and we've all suffered from that failure.

There's yet another lens with which to view this problem. Anyone who opted not to buy the PUP did so because they felt it wasn't a real $5K value. They made a purchase decision based on a lack of information. Now that Tesla has dropped the price and included it they have essentially proven those people correct. If PUP truly has a $5K value then Tesla would not be so quick to get rid of it. Further, if PUP was of real value, they would have been much more clear in their prior messaging about what it is and what it isn't. But they didn't and they dropped the price. This tells me that PUP isn't a real value afterall, that I was right, and that they were probably planning on dropping the price all along. Again, this is bad corporate citizenship.

Therefore when you take these facts into account then I don't think it's unreasonable for many of us to be upset and for us to have a reasonable expectation of compensation for our trouble. While they may or may not be legally bound to a compensation offer to us, there is a very real and genuine market expectation that we will be provided one. As that is what most businesses do for their customers.

This. As a P3D- owner of 4 weeks, I couldn't have said it better.

This doesn't make any sense. Your trade in will be worth $5k less regardless. Free supercharging is only for the original owner. I.e. if you sell or trade it in, the car no longer has free supercharging.

Free supercharging is to the car. Not the owner. As long as you got it when there was the referral system.

His new offer of free supercharging is to the owner for those that did not have it and want it instead of the $5k. I already have the Free Super Charger for the car as an August buyer.

Free supercharging is to the car. Not the owner. As long as you got it when there was the referral system.

Not true. This is what transferable free supercharging looks like...

upload_2018-10-31_22-39-34.png

In contrast, all cars delivered after January 2017 explicitly state "If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner." (emphasis mine)

2018-04-24.jpg

Last edited:
Hilarious. The issue isn’t what was going on inside Elon’s troubled head, unknown to the Board of Directors, it is what did Tesla project to the world at the time of the offer, which is that Elon was president.
You might be right, but then it will be up to individual owners to sue, like when Tesla charged $25K for a "P" upgrade that was to deliver 691hp, told people how it's coming over the air soon, then went radio silence, then tried to convince people how "electric power is different" (complete BS). So basically P85D got 46hp extra over 85D, but when paying for it they were sold on 228hp boost (so almost 5 times what they actually got). Then they got sued in Europe by a group of owners, they settled there for ~$5K each, admitted on their page that the cars they sold are "capable of 691hp but due to battery limitations only producing 463hp", but offered nothing to the owners elsewhere, you'd have sue them yourself. Tesla didn't care too much since by the time the smoke cleared, they were no longer selling P85D's and the current car they were selling, P100D, was fixed and could deliver the advertised horsepower, so admitting that the car they sold 2 years prior didn't meet the original spec was no big deal.

At best, this will be the very same situation, people can sue them, wait two years, see maybe $1,000 out of it, and while you are suing them, all services for all people will be performed by a single mechanic properly trained to handle this legal issue. Good luck.

Might as well use the down while charging to impart an economics lesson IN CASE Tesla decides to limit the size of the “class” receiving compensation.

So my intent is not to create divisions between P3- and P3+ but I’ll explain why the P3+ folks got screwed much harder.

The P+ folks laid out an extra 5000 in cash.

Some owners could have saved 5000 if they took delivery 24 hours later. 5000 in cash. Not a perceived 5000 but an actual 5000. CASH MONEY. What’s worse is that 5000 loss compounds forever so the opportunity cost over a long time is much worse than 5000.

P- folks missed out on 5000 in upgrades. Upgrades they did not value at 5000. We know this because they would have paid 5000 for it like the P+ buyers.

No ones car was actually devalued by 5000, that’s not how depreciation works.

However the P+ Buyers got devalued harder than the P- buyers because the MSRP is higher. The higher the MSRP the higher the devaluation.

If Tesla offered previous buyers a NEW software option, everybody gets happy and Tesla is not out a single penny.

Might as well use the down while charging to impart an economics lesson IN CASE Tesla decides to limit the size of the “class” receiving compensation.

P- folks missed out on 5000 in upgrades. Upgrades they did not value at 5000. We know this because they would have paid 5000 for it like the P+ buyers.

No ones car was actually devalued by 5000, that’s not how depreciation works.

However the P+ Buyers got devalued harder than the P- buyers because the MSRP is higher. The higher the MSRP the higher the devaluation.

If Tesla offered previous buyers a NEW software option, everybody gets happy and Tesla is not out a single penny.

It's true. I can safely speak for most of the non-P+ owners when I say we really didn't want the spoiler, aluminum pedals and 20" tires - I personally just wanted those damn red calipers. That, coupled with lingering fears that this trim could be excluded from high-end upgrades like ludicrous mode, were the only two sticking points.

Mathematically yes, current P3+ owners took an objective $5k hit with the announcement. P3 owners must deal with valuing a trim that is no longer for sale. IF we (aside from any of us) are offered compensation, we are still left with lame decisions:

-I don't want money from Tesla and don't think they should be offering it to any current owner
-I'm not sure I want any those P3+ items on my car (beyond the calipers)
-I'm not big on giving up FUSC since it was given to me for ordering early

If no one is offered anything, P3 owners objectively lose less. If only P3+ owners are offered anything, we objectively lose more.