Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmmm

No way that's possible with street driving other than Autobahn or driving around a volcano
Its very possible in fact I do it all the time here in CA. I'll take a picture next time. I commute several times a week on 9 to Santa Cruz and the car heat soaks in less than 10 minutes of spirited driving. It sucks bad because it turns my performance car into a slow poke with 10 dots and it becomes no fun to drive. So every 10 min. I have to stop by the side of the road like a fool for about 5 minutes for the limiter dots to go away. It wasn't even hot today 74 degrees and still heat soaked. Really need that Track Mode.

Last edited:
What's wrong is that everybody else drives like a slug so Tesla calibrated the standard cooling to fit the standard driver

Dude, it’s a lot of hubris to say everyone drives like a bitch except for you. :D

Your car has a problem.

FD98AE90-B3C2-4B2F-9573-1269B8A22009.jpeg

And I got yelled at by people here just for driving the speed limit.

Model 3 Dashcam Moments - Video or it didn't happen!

Its very possible in fact I do it every day here in CA. I'll take a picture next time. I take my car on 9 to Santa Cruz and it heat soaks in less than 10 minutes of spirited driving. It sucks bad because it turns my performance car into a slow poke with 10 dots and it becomes no fun to drive. I have to stop for about 5 minutes for the limiter dots to go away. Then another 10 minutes of fun before it heat soaks again. It wasn't even hot today 74 degrees and still heat soaked. Really need that Track Mode.
Just what we need. Track mode racers on public streets.

That's why I think everyone including AWD should at least get the max cooling and max regen part of track mode. I have no idea why they would withhold a cooling function that would fix the less than adequate standard cooling especially when it's just a software thing.

They state that track mode "overclocks" the cooling. As such it is likely to cause more/sooner failures of the cooling system. That is part of what the extra cost of the Performance options are compared to the standard AWD cars. That is why I think AWD will never see track mode.

Its very possible in fact I do it all the time here in CA. I'll take a picture next time. I commute several times a week on 9 to Santa Cruz and the car heat soaks in less than 10 minutes of spirited driving. It sucks bad because it turns my performance car into a slow poke with 10 dots and it becomes no fun to drive. So every 10 min. I have to stop by the side of the road like a fool for about 5 minutes for the limiter dots to go away. It wasn't even hot today 74 degrees and still heat soaked. Really need that Track Mode.

I live in SoCal and have never seen this. You only get power limited after putting down >50% throttle for multiple minute straight, i'm not sure how you could possibly do that on the street. Something is definitely wrong with your car.

Dude, it’s a lot of hubris to say everyone drives like a bitch except for you. :D
Your car has a problem.
Well it had to be said. If more people complained maybe Tesla would give us a mode that is more focused on proper cooling. I still don't get why they reserve the cooling for the Track. Why not just cool the battery when its hot as much as it need to be cooled.

Picture taken after 10 min. heat soak and after the dots just cleared up. Not fun waiting.
2018.10.12 20.08.55.jpg

Well it had to be said. If more people complained maybe Tesla would give us a mode that is more focused on proper cooling. I still don't get why they reserve the cooling for the Track. Why not just cool the battery when its hot as much as it need to be cooled.

Picture taken after 10 min. heat soak and after the dots just cleared up. Not fun waiting.
View attachment 351896

Wow thanks for sharing. Yeah I either drive like a bitch or we need to inspect your car.

I don’t think I could reach your watt miles unless I got immunity from prison.

Maybe you can drop your car off to Tesla - borrow someone else’s 3 or get a S loaner. Or see if a TMC local can help you troubleshoot. It’s like you grabbed results from a race track.

Model 3 life: Wait in line, first day reservationist :) > get to save spot for AWD :) > wait 1.5 years :( > Tesla says M3P gets delivered sooner, insures I get full tax break :| > mountain performance working on track big brake kit :) > opt for M3P- ! :) > notice paint issues and actuator on frunk failed :( > actuator fixed, but liner scratched in process :( > promised mobile service for paint and liner :| > BMW M3 beating performance and track mode announced! :) > M3P+ cost is the same now :( > track mode only for M3P+? :( > going on 4 months, still no mobile service, promised calls :( > can I get a redo or straight up trade for same priced M3P+ :|, you can have the free supercharging, wait, nope.

The service center told me there is nothing wrong with my car. What's wrong is that everybody else drives like a slug so Tesla calibrated the standard cooling to fit the standard driver. Since I push my car harder than most, I don't fit into that standard driver role so I need the extra track mode cooling for day to day driving. Also need the extra Track Mode regen if possible.

Still doesn’t seem possible. What Wh/mile are you averaging? I push my 3 pretty hard on city streets. Have never even come close to overheating. Guessing you’re referring to limited regen related to cold weather rather than limited power related to high sustained power output. You’d have to be flooring it at every stoplight and sustaining long stretches of 100+ mph to reach the power limiter.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA

That's inconceivable that you are driving on regular roads and you have to stop because it's heat limited. My 4 year old model s doesn't have that problem, I've actually never been heat limited. On a model 3 with all the improvements I can't see that happening on a road outside of perhaps an autobahn, and it's unlikely there.

What's wrong is that everybody else drives like a slug so Tesla calibrated the standard cooling to fit the standard driver. Since I push my car harder than most, I don't fit into that standard driver role so I need the extra track mode cooling for day to day driving.
Ego much? Unless you're a very unsafe driver (like speed limit +20 constantly) this isn't plausible if your car is fine.

That's inconceivable that you are driving on regular roads and you have to stop because it's heat limited. My 4 year old model s doesn't have that problem, I've actually never been heat limited. On a model 3 with all the improvements I can't see that happening on a road outside of perhaps an autobahn, and it's unlikely there.
Yah, my 2012 Sig S P85 does better than he's describing his 3 does. She's definitely been heat limited, but not like he's describing for his 3.

Wow thanks for sharing. Yeah I either drive like a bitch or we need to inspect your car.

I don’t think I could reach your watt miles unless I got immunity from prison.

Maybe you can drop your car off to Tesla - borrow someone else’s 3 or get a S loaner. Or see if a TMC local can help you troubleshoot. It’s like you grabbed results from a race track.
I actually did just that a few weeks ago. Here is the Model S single motor loaner they gave me heat soaked after a few minutes with same limiting dashes. Service said there is nothing wrong with my P3D and admitted that their cooling can't keep up with my driving. Guess I'll keep waiting for Track Mode and hope that will help.
MVIMG_20181030_225944.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Model 3 life: Wait in line, first day reservationist :) > get to save spot for AWD :) > wait 1.5 years :( > Tesla says M3P gets delivered sooner, insures I get full tax break :| > mountain performance working on track big brake kit :) > opt for M3P- ! :) > notice paint issues and actuator on frunk failed :( > actuator fixed, but liner scratched in process :( > promised mobile service for paint and liner :| > BMW M3 beating performance and track mode announced! :) > M3P+ cost is the same now :( > track mode only for M3P+? :( > going on 4 months, still no mobile service, promised calls :( > can I get a redo or straight up trade for same priced M3P+ :|, you can have the free supercharging, wait, nope.
I'm curious how many others have essentially this same story/feeling?

Like this post if this is you.

Hey watch that guy going 125mph for one hour on S model.P100DL...not much limitations...he is also around 700Wh/mile...maybe that's the model you should be driving....
Except I didn't drive 125mph on the Autobahn for 1 hour. Mine got heat soaked in 5min. going no faster than 65mph. It seems Tesla's Achille's heel is winding mountain roads especially up hill.

Still doesn’t seem possible. What Wh/mile are you averaging? I push my 3 pretty hard on city streets. Have never even come close to overheating. Guessing you’re referring to limited regen related to cold weather rather than limited power related to high sustained power output. You’d have to be flooring it at every stoplight and sustaining long stretches of 100+ mph to reach the power limiter.
I am averaging 480 Wh/mile. I am not referring to limited regen. Those are the dots on the left. My 10 dots are on the right, the power side. No cold weather here in CA. Just driving on mountain roads from San Jose to Santa Cruz. You can't go 100+ on those curvy roads.

I am averaging 480 Wh/mile. I am not referring to limited regen. Those are the dots on the left. My 10 dots are on the right, the power side. No cold weather here in CA. Just driving on mountain roads from San Jose to Santa Cruz. You can't go 100+ on those curvy roads.

Would bet money something is wrong with your car. I’ve never heard of a Tesla that can’t handle 65mph up a mountain. Have you tried escalating at your service center?