Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are so many hell bent on Track Mode? I have a P3+ with Track Mode and havent used it.

Track mode=for the track. I can't imagine all you griping about it will ever actually make it to the track so why all the whining?
Track Mode unused. What a shame. Even if I didn't go to the track I would use it everyday just for the cooling feature (hope they tare that option out for individual use). My car overheats all the time and limits my acceleration.

Reactions: Roys3
Track Mode unused. What a shame. Even if I didn't go to the track I would use it everyday just for the cooling feature (hope they tare that option out for individual use). My car overheats all the time and limits my acceleration.
Exactly. I don't know who these guys are that make claims we will never use track mode outside of the track but they certainly aren't true performance car enthusiasts. Every car I've ever owned I've pushed to it's limits as soon as I get up into the mountains (grew up there). The last thing I want is the thing to overheat. That would be like a BMW M3 with a wimpy little radiator that overheats as soon as you get it up into the twisties. Lame.

I’ve been in some desolate mountain driving places in my performance 3 and it is an absolute blast pushing it to the limits. Last time I had an opportunity like this was back in late September long before track mode was rolled out. I just personally hope no one is drifting around a public road in track mode. Especially amateurs doing this for the first time. This is not the intended use.

If this was ludicrous mode then I would completely understand where you are coming from. We all want better straight line acceleration. Entrance ramps are basically launch pads for our Tesla’s. Track mode is not a heightened performance mode. I think Tesla’s marketing here has been too good. This is a mode strictly to be used on tracks. You will be putting people in danger if used improperly out on public roads. Don’t be that person...

This is a mode strictly to be used on tracks. You will be putting people in danger if used improperly out on public roads. Don’t be that person...
Who said anything about using it improperly. I can use TM quite properly on public roads. The M3 on mountain roads without track mode has inadequate cooling. It is a must for battery longevity and to prevent acceleration limiting.

It would be nice if Tesla could allow us to enable these features a la carte:
1. Track cooling (on/off)
2. Track regen (on/off)
3. Track stability and traction control (on/off)
I don't see the problem with having 1 & 2 on, on public roads for spirited driving.

Last edited:
As we all know, a la carte track mode features are not possible in its current iteration. It's off or on. i.e., safe for public roads or not safe for public roads. Let's all be safe out there and not earn Tesla drivers the reputation of being the a holes drifting into whole foods. But that would be a way to make an entrance!

Tesla should really rebrand this mode as "fringe case performance mode for track use only".

We didn't know that at the time. Early June when I ordered.

Actually I exercise my analytical skills every day as a software engineer and having heard every interview with Elon, I developed an appreciation of his belief in adaptive general software systems over specifically tailored ones (i.e his Self driving approach compared to the competition demonstrates that), I was convinced that Track Mode would be a general closed loop adaptive feedback system. I still believe it is designed that way. That's how I would have written it.

Exactly! I see no reason Track Mode would not work with AWD as is. It is kept away from them artificially to justify the premium cost of performance models. I believe Track Mode could even work with RWD with some slight modifications or even none if the software was written to detect capabilities.

This software design pattern is not new in Silicon Valley and has been around for 20+ years. For example, the video card and PC gaming industry works like this. Why do you think modern games work on basically all PCs with a wide range of capabilities? The game rendering engine adapts by providing different levels of rendering quality based on either detection or the caps reported by the video card. Who pioneered capability reporting in video cards? NVIDIA. What chips does the model 3 use on their two main boards? NVIDIA chips.

The only thing I see in the + as being more track capable are the larger rotors which will provide a longer time before brake fade. But the road conditions, temperature, driving characteristics, as well as other non hardware factors by themselves would change the threshold characteristics of the fade. So software would need to detect brake fade anyway even on P+. So even though the P- will fade a little sooner, the software should detect that and act accordingly for either car.

In June when we were ordered, we didn’t even know that track mode was coming to the Model
3 at all!

My internal analysis said that IF it came, it would be guaranteed on the 3P+. Not guaranteed on the 3P-.

I’m not a software engineer but your rationale sounds good. I’m sure you are competent at your work but everyone, myself included has to self evaluate daily to calibrate how smart we really are.

I would say there are two fallacies that can bust your argument.

Having Starcraft work on a wide range of computers is not the same as software on 4000lb cars. What happens when Blizzard fails to account for some adrenaline driver or some cuda driver? Slower frame rates? Graphic artifacts? Worst case is the game crashes on loading. People die when software in vehicles malfunction.
Tesla is leaving NVidia by the way with AP3. Using its own in house chip.

Second fallacy that will bust anyone is assymetric information. You can watch thousands of hours of Musk interviews and get insight into their development process - but unless you are in the decision meetings it doesn’t matter. All the reasonings in the world that make sense to you doesn’t happen because Tesla knows something you don’t. Or Tesla could just be making a bonehead decision. Either way your choice based on your analysis was wrong in the end.

Also, adaptive track mode while possible may not be profitable. Tesla HAS to spend time on adaptive EAP because they are betting on Tesla vision versus waymo geofenced and LIDAR approach.

Where I was wrong was I never would have imagined Tesla would roll PUP overnight into P and drop the whole package by 5K.

Simplify production - check
Drop whole package by 5K? - senseless. Drop it by 2-3K, minimal outrage.

I can’t think of why Tesla did what they did, unless they felt it only a drop of that magnitude can sustain sella.

Assymetric information, I can’t see their price elasticity of demand data.

One needs to avoid overestimating their knowledge no matter what field they work in. Someone was willing to wager I didn’t even have a college degree. Wasn’t hard for me to bet 10000/10000/100000 anything they wanted. I knew something they didn’t - I know if I have a degree or not and how to verify it. ;)

Last edited:
I really hope they don't limit the TM to just tracks, as the power limiting is pretty quick without it. 2 Weeks ago, before track mode was released, it was a lot more forgiving before pulling the power due to heat soak. Now with track mode released normal mode seems to pull power pretty fast.

I wonder if there is damage being done to the drive train at the temperatures allowed by track mode, since the normal mode limits are so much lower, basically just 3-7 blasts from 20-80 depending on current drive train temperature.

I am a little disappointed by how fast than power is throttled in normal mode currently. Granted you shouldn't be driving race fast on public roads, but that's not the core of my concern. People have been driving fast on roads, public and otherwise since the car was invented.

I vote they give P3D- buyers the option to get $11k back at the cost of FUSC and the software flash.

Then we would simply have AWD cars and would have paid the same price for them as everyone else. At this point I would take this offer just so I wouldn't feel taken advantage of by tesla. I would also not be mad about track mode or all these other things I'm not going to get.

Reactions: Perry and Roys3
I vote they give P3D- buyers the option to get $11k back at the cost of FUSC and the software flash.

Then we would simply have AWD cars and would have paid the same price for them as everyone else. At this point I would take this offer just so I wouldn't feel taken advantage of by tesla. I would also not be mad about track mode or all these other things I'm not going to get.

Agree.

Reactions: Perry

Ehhh.. I love the acceleration of the P. I just want track mode. And if it can only be the cooling aspect, than so be it.

Reactions: Perry

As pointed out to you at least 3 times now, you can get exactly that if you actually wanted it

Your sig says your car has been in the shop since you got it 10/17.

That is more than 30 days out of service since new.

Under CAs lemon law you can require Tesla to buy it back from you.

Then you can buy an AWD (before Nov 30) and still get delivery this year for the full tax credit.

So....you can do that- or just keep complaining without actually doing something that provides exactly a solution you claim you want.

YOU...make the call!

Small detail, 30 business days for lemon. Would likely take into next year to process.

I don't think that's correct.

Law section.

CA law said:
The vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of nonconformities by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 calendar days since delivery of the vehicle to the buyer. The 30-day limit shall be extended only if repairs cannot be performed due to conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agents

No mention of business days.... just the opposite in fact- it explicitly says calendar days.