Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also surprised the Tesla rep didn't mention how TM is explicitly disclaimed to not be intended for any public roads given the question explicitly asked about getting it for use on public roads.

They say, from my post above:

"Track mode is designed to be used exclusively on closed courses. "

I read that as the same thing.. you're a bad kid if you use track mode on a public road

Reactions: MXWing
Well, no.

Words have meaning you see.

You can't properly use, on public roads, a feature that is explicitly not for use on public roads

That's not semantics, it's facts.
Yes you can. It depends who you are. If you know what your doing then you can use that feature anywhere. That disclaimer is to satisfy Tesla lawyers. Remember that most warnings are targeted at the lowest common denominator. There is nothing in track mode that would make it not street worthy unless you are an idiot who doesn't know how to drive. Before the '90s, no cars had stability control and before that we had no ABS and people still got around fine.

I’m not a software engineer but your rationale sounds good. I’m sure you are competent at your work but everyone, myself included has to self evaluate daily to calibrate how smart we really are.
Yea, I'm not making any claims on my smartness just my 35 years in software engineering leads me to believe what I believe and I shared that belief. Of course I could be wrong. I just outlined a common best practice software pattern that I believe they followed because I have great confidence in Elon's ability to engineer something properly especially that he started in software.
Having Starcraft work on a wide range of computers is not the same as software on 4000lb cars.
I agree it's not the same. Writing games is several orders of magnitude harder than Track Mode. Good game engines take large teams of cream of the crop software engineers and mathematicians usually 5 years to develop. Track mode would be like a weekend pet project for one of those guys which I think the more reason they did it right.
People die when software in vehicles malfunction.
I agree but it's so much easier to write TM than a game. I can not overstate that. Its just a few sensors and a rudimentary algorithm on how to act on input data. Its really simple stuff relatively speaking. They probably have one guy working part time on it.
Either way your choice based on your analysis was wrong in the end.
Wrong how? We don't know that they didn't write the software exactly how I outlined it. If they release it for P- or not we still won't know. They could very well keep it from P- not because the code was written for specific hardware but because it makes sense from a marketing perspective.

I really hope they don't limit the TM to just tracks, as the power limiting is pretty quick without it. 2 Weeks ago, before track mode was released, it was a lot more forgiving before pulling the power due to heat soak. Now with track mode released normal mode seems to pull power pretty fast.

I wonder if there is damage being done to the drive train at the temperatures allowed by track mode, since the normal mode limits are so much lower, basically just 3-7 blasts from 20-80 depending on current drive train temperature.

I am a little disappointed by how fast than power is throttled in normal mode currently. Granted you shouldn't be driving race fast on public roads, but that's not the core of my concern. People have been driving fast on roads, public and otherwise since the car was invented.
I am so glad someone else noticed this. I have noticed the same and I think an over the air update nerfed our cars. When I first got my car it would not heat soak so fast. Now I can heat soak it in 2 minutes and the dots don't go away so quickly as they did before. Also noticed the fan is no longer blaring as it did in the past under a heat soak condition.
There is a thread on this topic.
Could Tesla be power limiting P3D?

Partly related...

Me, on 11/15:

" .. is it true all Performance Model 3 cars will get Track Mode? I have no plans to track mine, it's a curiosity though as the increased regen does sound cool for some of the mountain roads I occasionally take"

Tesla customer support response (11/19):

"Yes it should be available now if your on the latest version of firmware. Track Mode enables Tesla's performance-oriented stability control and powertrain settings configured for track driving. Track mode is designed to be used exclusively on closed courses. To enable Track Mode for your current drive, shift into Park, then touch Controls > Driving > Track Mode. "

I am, sadly, not on the most recent software but will report back after next update..
I would have specifically asked about Performance Model 3 without PUP because they might have understood differently.

Yes you can.

No, you literally can not

Using a feature in direct violation of the manufactuers stated conditions for using it can not, by definition be "using it properly"

Again- words actually mean things.

Wrong how? We don't know that they didn't write the software exactly how I outlined it. If they release it for P- or not we still won't know. They could very well keep it from P- not because the code was written for specific hardware but because it makes sense from a marketing perspective.

Wrong based on known facts.

Like for example tesla.com doesn't even offer the P3D- anymore so claiming they're holding it back from that vehicle for "marketing" reasons makes zero actual sense

No, you literally can not

Using a feature in direct violation of the manufactuers stated conditions for using it can not, by definition be "using it properly"

Again- words actually mean things.

Wrong based on known facts.

Like for example tesla.com doesn't even offer the P3D- anymore so claiming they're holding it back from that vehicle for "marketing" reasons makes zero actual sense

Yes you can . Have you not seen videos on you tube of people using track mode in a parking lot.

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA and Perry
Yes you can . Have you not seen videos on you tube of people using track mode in a parking lot.

First 3-4 minutes they aren't using it on a public road, so it's not in violation of the manufacturers stated conditions for using it.

They explicitly point this out like 50 seconds into the video.

Then they do take it on the road and indeed that is in violation of the conditions, so it's not, by definition, using it properly.

same thing as people using EAP on local streets.

Not sure how people are confused by this.

I really want to know if they are saying it effects warranty.
I mean yes they say don't use it on public roads, but what are the implications if you used it?
1. Regularly on a daily or weekly basis over a mountain road
2. On tracks occasionally
3. All the time
I don't see how it could negatively impact the car. The only extra strain is additional cooling, which I don't think even overdrives the cooling system.

Nope. It just says not on public roads. You can see the actual text here-

https://images.hgmsites.net/lrg/tesla-model-3-track-mode-enable-screen_100678783_l.jpg
That's just for liability if a bunch of idiots start wrecking their cars.

• Love
Reactions: Perry
It's really not.

Track mode disables numerous safety features of the car- including Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward Collision Warning, etc.

Yes it definitely is. You are disabling safety features and they are telling you that it's risky and that it's for non-public roads. Liability/safety warning.

Yes it definitely is. You are disabling safety features and they are telling you that it's risky and that it's for non-public roads. Liability/safety warning.

No, it definitely is not.

You said it was "just" for liability.

But that's not true.

Enabling TM disables numerous basic safety features of the vehicle. They're not telling you that just to avoid getting sued, they're telling you that because disabling safety features makes the car less safe to actually operate on public roads.

Reactions: P85_DA and MP3Mike
No, it definitely is not.

You said it was "just" for liability.

But that's not true.

Enabling TM disables numerous basic safety features of the vehicle. They're not telling you that just to avoid getting sued, they're telling you that because disabling safety features makes the car less safe to actually operate on public roads.
Feel free to play semantics. The comment I responded to said it was violating the manufacturers stated conditions for using it. If you want to believe they are going to void warranties for people that use track mode, go for it.

It is a liability/safety warning only.

How old are you?

We had snow last week. I was disappointed that I couldn't find a parking lot where the snow accumulated enough to do that.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: Perry and MP3Mike