Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. Performance Upgrade - Confused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything you just said is nonsense.

Weird, since it was factually correct and you failed to refute a single thing in it with specifics.

If "everything" was nonsense it should be easy for you to cite, for example, the slew of folks desperately looking to buy the OEM P3D+ suspension from people who upgraded.

Where can I find those threads/posts?

Because IIRC there was one guy who posted he was thinking of selling those parts- and every reply basically told him nobody wants it because if they were gonna bother with the labor they'd be doing it to put better parts on the car.

To be fair I do think there HAVE been like 2 guys, ever, who did swap P3D+ brakes on a non-P3D+... though IIRC both said it was a pain, and ended up costing as much or more than better aftermarket options.... so also seems to back up what I said about the idea you can easily make $ selling off those OEM parts being far fetched.

Last edited:
Yeah total nonsense. You can sell the 20” wheels for ~$2.5k without much trouble

Great.

Now how much is a quality set of 18s that fit on the P3D+, plus a set of tires?

Because it's probably not a ton less than $2500 (maybe more depending on the wheels you pick)

In which case you just did a bunch of work for...not much. Compared to just getting the 18s to start with.

Great.

Now how much is a quality set of 18s that fit on the P3D+, plus a set of tires?

Because it's probably not a ton less than $2500 (maybe more depending on the wheels you pick)

In which case you just did a bunch of work for...not much. Compared to just getting the 18s to start with.

And not having the spoiler, better brakes (red, too, which we all know adds ~50hp per caliper), lowered suspension, thicker sway bars, aluminum pedals, Track Mode, higher top speed. And that’s just the objective differences. The 20s + red calipers also LOOK amazing.

No question it’s worth buying the upgrade package and just selling the wheels if you don’t want them.

Yeah total nonsense. You can sell the 20” wheels for ~$2.5k without much trouble, for one thing. And many of us love the OEM-look wheels and have ZERO issues with them.

And if you see what's selling on eBay, the Performance calipers and rotors are selling for around $2500.

Keeping in mind that the you pay zero extra for the performance package, that's a lot of extra cash you can make selling off the performance upgrade parts if you were planning to replace the non performance parts.

And not having the spoiler

Which kinda kills the whole "stealth" aspect- so many might PREFER not having it...

, better brakes

You mean "inferior unless you're going to track the car- since they otherwise stop just as short in normal use, limit your wheel choices, and are harder to work on" brakes

Certainly if you ARE gonna track it, they're better than the non-P ones- but well inferior to the aftermarket options you're gonna switch to anyway if tracking....so why saddle yourself with the fewer wheel choices they come with?

lowered suspension

A whole 0.39 inches! WHOA!

thicker sway bars

Yup. 1 whole mm. Again though you can do a ton better in the aftermarket.

, aluminum pedals

Again hurts the stealth aspect- though you can just buy some pedal covers for pretty cheap if you MUST HAVE BLING.

, Track Mode

Ah, now here you raise the one genuine issue that exists.

If they're really removing TM from the P3D- going forward (since all the ones sold to date HAVE IT this'd be a feature change) then THAT might be worth the hassle of dealing with the boat anchor 20s and limited wheel selection when you replace them.

Again assuming you plan to track the car anyway.

, higher top speed

Outside of Germany I'm not sure how many folks ever get their 3 over 145 anyway so this seems even less significant than that GIANT .39 INCH DROP.

. And that’s just the objective differences. The 20s + red calipers also LOOK amazing.

You know what they say about opinions :)

I think the 19/20 inch wheel design is fairly ugly myself- I prefer the aeros with covers removed and the cap kit, think they look a ton better- as have the majority of friends I've shown both to. YMMV.

Yup...and

Tesla Model 3 Brake Calipers Performance FULL SET Part #1044644-00-F OEM | eBay

front AND rear for 1500.

So two things:

1) the suggestion this stuff goes for $2500 appears to be...exaggerated.

2) There's like 4 sets sold... ever.... when I searched sold items on ebay. Suggesting there's not exactly a HUGE market demanding this stuff and you might not have too easy a time selling yours in the future.

Dude, do your own eBay searches. You're the one disagreeing. Free hint, just click the "sold" option.

I did. Nobody got $2500 for it. YOU made the claim- back it up or admit you pulled a number out of your rear.

Hoping the experts here can help clear up some confusion regarding the Performance model.

When you select the performance model, the price is $56,990 and the appearance is identical to any other Model 3 - areo wheels, etc. You can then select the "Performance Upgrade" option which does not change the price but adds:
  • Performance Brakes
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 162mph
  • Track Mode
  • Range decrease from 322 to 299 miles
Also, while there is no mention of it, the image of the car also shows large (20"?) wheels. Is the "Performance Upgrade" option a no-cost option? Or is there an issue with the configurator? By Selecting the Performance without checking the upgrade, it appears you're ordering the stealth which used to be $2,000 more than the AWD long range vs the $8000 it is now.

First off apologies that your thread got hijacked by people trying to out-explain each other.

If you just select Performance, without the 'PUP' option, you're essentially buying what was the original Performance without the upgrade package, as released in 2018. It was referred to as the P3D- and the P3D+ was with the PUP.

Shortly after I bought my P3D+ (meaning Performance + PUP) Tesla cimplified the lineup and the P3D- was eliminated but the cost of the P3D+ came down $5k (which apparently could be refunded if you gave up free supercharging).... aaaannnyyyway, that's ancient history.

It does look now as though Tesla is offering the PUP completely free, but you're giving up 23 miles of range. Note that ALL of that range is given up because of the 20" wheels. There's nothing else about the PUP that sacrifices range, so in theory you could get the PUP and then swap the wheels for some aftermarket 19" or 18" and make up all or some of that range, especially if they're lighter. Just make sure the wheels are compatible with the larger brake calipers.

Personally for no additional cost, I'd get the PUP. The 20" wheels are fragile if you live in an area with terrible roads (I broke mine twiced before replacing them with 19" aftermarkets) but your mileage may vary.

First off apologies that your thread got hijacked by people trying to out-explain each other.

If you just select Performance, without the 'PUP' option, you're essentially buying what was the original Performance without the upgrade package, as released in 2018. It was referred to as the P3D- and the P3D+ was with the PUP.

Shortly after I bought my P3D+ (meaning Performance + PUP) Tesla cimplified the lineup and the P3D- was eliminated but the cost of the P3D+ came down $5k (which apparently could be refunded if you gave up free supercharging).... aaaannnyyyway, that's ancient history.

It does look now as though Tesla is offering the PUP completely free, but you're giving up 23 miles of range. Note that ALL of that range is given up because of the 20" wheels. There's nothing else about the PUP that sacrifices range, so in theory you could get the PUP and then swap the wheels for some aftermarket 19" or 18" and make up all or some of that range, especially if they're lighter. Just make sure the wheels are compatible with the larger brake calipers.

Personally for no additional cost, I'd get the PUP. The 20" wheels are fragile if you live in an area with terrible roads (I broke mine twiced before replacing them with 19" aftermarkets) but your mileage may vary.

It's not free. It's just that there's no discount for NOT taking the Performance Upgrade Package.

It's not free. It's just that there's no discount for NOT taking the Performance Upgrade Package.

It's no additional cost; it's free relative to buying the Performance version. The comment didn't need 'correcting'.

Why would you make such a pedantic distinction without a difference? It doesn't contribute to this thread or the OP's understanding.

It's no additional cost; it's free relative to buying the Performance version. The comment didn't need 'correcting'.

Why would you make such a pedantic distinction without a difference? It doesn't contribute to this thread or the OP's understanding.

It’s misleading to say it’s free to get the Performance Upgrade Package, that’s why I wanted to make the distinction. It’s the same price it ever was, except now for the same amount of money you can get the “inferior” Performance version without Track Mode. So it’s not “free” in any sense. PUP is the same price it’s been for months. Base Performance is now a worse deal due to no Track Mode/higher top speed.

And of course this contributes to the OP’s understanding. It’s exactly what this thread is about.

It’s misleading to say it’s free to get the Performance Upgrade Package, that’s why I wanted to make the distinction. It’s the same price it ever was, except now for the same amount of money you can get the “inferior” Performance version without Track Mode. So it’s not “free” in any sense. PUP is the same price it’s been for months. Base Performance is now a worse deal due to no Track Mode/higher top speed.

And of course this contributes to the OP’s understanding. It’s exactly what this thread is about.

I'm not saying I disagree but the UI strongly suggests it's free.

Once you click Performance, the defaults are applied and the price is set. The PUP is still an "upgrade" and considered an "option" that does nothing to the price. It's a different story if the box is checked by default but since it's not the UI has me leaning towards free.

I just want to say that there's a ton of people that aren't on any Tesla message board. Any consensus found here is not indicative of the full owner population. It just holds true for members of this site.

Maybe it's the influx of owners from... more pedestrian cars... but I have never in my life been on a car forum with so many people making up reasons to not get the full performance package performance car. Usually when you buy a performance car you end up with bigger brakes that don't fit small wheels, you end up with more fragile/bigger wheels with summer tires, none of this is a surprise. Maybe it's because most manufacturers make their performance models a complete package?

I'm not saying I disagree but the UI strongly suggests it's free.

This depends on if you're aware of the pricing prior to the P3D- being added to the website.

The price you see listed is the P3D+ price. ie with the cost of the upgrade package already built in.

The change that happened was adding the option to pay the SAME price for the P3D- (which you couldn't buy via the website at all since late 2018)

That's the opposite of the PuP being free. Instead you're paying for it regardless of if you add it or not.

But if you're unaware of the previous pricing you wouldn't realize that is what's actually going on.

Reactions: lottadot