Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. Performance Upgrade - Confused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ahem...

The Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Guide

Factory 18s- 21.6 lbs

Factory 20s- 28.75 lbs.

That's over 33% heavier going from the 18s to the 20s.

So yes, boat anchor rims.

Plus far fewer choices if you want to replace the 20s than if you wanna replace the 18s as well.

Again, no.

The wheels are exactly the same diameter

And the rims are exactly the same width. (hell, I even told you that already in the post you were replying to... they're both 8.5" rims.

The 20s are just heavier and more prone to damage for 0 benefit.

So you might wanna quit while you're behind on this one :)

The benefit is they don’t look like dogshit and smaller sidewall tires tend to be stiffer compared to higher aspect ratio tires of the same make, for those us of that actually drive performance cars like performance cars.

I still find it odd that Tesla is doing this. It seems like there is a market to sell the Stealths for a price that falls between the AWD+Boost and the full Performance. Having an upgrade package that cost nothing is just weird.

I think this is Tesla's way of expiring the Stealth build. My assumption is the profit margin on the full Performance model was significantly above the rest. And they're figuring most people will just purchase the full Performance now.

Reactions: Sherlo
You need to compare apples to apples, factory wheel AND tire.

Apples to apples is rim vs rim.

That's the part that'll remain for the life of the car generally. The tires will change out every 15-20k miles (if you're driving it hard- and if not why'd you buy a P at all?)- and you're likely to end up with the SAME tire on either depending on your usage case after the first 15-20 miles anyway. The 20 rims remain 33% heavier boat anchors at that point.

The aero covers BTW are 1.4 lbs... and the 18s look vastly better if you replace them with the wheel cap kit that weights almost nothing though.

Vastly better than the 19/20 sport wheels too.

That's based on both my own opinion of the looks of each, folks I've personally shown both kindas to (where it's about 70/30 in favor of the capped 18s instead of the 19/20 design).... and that of the several folks I've gotten referral bonuses from in 2019 by pointing em at stealths they got with 18s and then got the cap kit instead of going for the stealths out there with sport 19s.

YMMV on looks of course, but weight is weight.

The benefit is they don’t look like dogshit

See above...18s with cap kit beat the 19/20 sport wheels for weight and damage resistance and looks too :)

The last one is entirely subjective and YMMV of course, the first two advantages are facts however.

Apples to apples is rim vs rim.

That's the part that'll remain for the life of the car generally. The tires will change out every 15-20k miles (if you're driving it hard- and if not why'd you buy a P at all?)- and you're likely to end up with the SAME tire on either depending on your usage case after the first 15-20 miles anyway. The 20 rims remain 33% heavier boat anchors at that point.

The aero covers BTW are 1.4 lbs... and the 18s look vastly better if you replace them with the wheel cap kit that weights almost nothing though.

Vastly better than the 19/20 sport wheels too.

That's based on both my own opinion of the looks of each, folks I've personally shown both kindas to (where it's about 70/30 in favor of the capped 18s instead of the 19/20 design).... and that of the several folks I've gotten referral bonuses from in 2019 by pointing em at stealths they got with 18s and then got the cap kit instead of going for the stealths out there with sport 19s.

YMMV on looks of course, but weight is weight.

See above...18s with cap kit beat the 19/20 sport wheels for weight and damage resistance and looks too :)

The last one is entirely subjective and YMMV of course, the first two advantages are facts however.

I have owned plenty of performance cars in my life and not once did I ever think “wow I wonder how prone to damage this is” and I live in pothole country.

Only people that own 18’s think they look better than the 20’s. Got those monster truck sidewalls.

I have owned plenty of performance cars in my life and not once did I ever think “wow I wonder how prone to damage this is” and I live in pothole country.

Weird since there's lots of posts on here from folks with damaged 20s due to potholes- not so much from 18 owners...

I
Only people that own 18’s think they look better than the 20’s. .

or folks with decent vision... maybe gets your checked? I guess that'd explain why you missed all the pothole damage posts too :)

I mean- I just mentioned at least 3 different people who didn't own anything, saw the 18s with cap kit vs the "sport" wheels, and decided the 18s looked better and specifically bought the car that came with them...but hey it's your lie, tell it however you want :)

Weird since there's lots of posts on here from folks with damaged 20s due to potholes- not so much from 18 owners...

or folks with decent vision... maybe gets your checked? I guess that'd explain why you missed all the pothole damage posts too :)

I mean- I just mentioned at least 3 different people who didn't own anything, saw the 18s with cap kit vs the "sport" wheels, and decided the 18s looked better and specifically bought the car that came with them...but hey it's your lie, tell it however you want :)

Oh I’ve seen the posts. I’m just telling you that it’s never been a factor in vehicles I’ve purchased since amazingly I’ve been able to avoid hitting wheel killing potholes by paying attention to the road.

I’m still trying to understand the demographics here I guess since I come from 8 years of Corvette ownership where we didn’t have pedestrian models around the forum. Do M3 owners on the BMW forums whine about their wheels and want base 3 series wheels instead?

Whatever makes your little man syndrome happy I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: SlimJim
My neighbor asked me (I own a MS performance) and i didn't have the info for him
any help would be great
he's looking to buy a M3 and be in the 50-52k range(great weather year round and good roads)
what would you all advise on a spec for best value
thx in advance

Come on guys. Arguing about which tires and wheels look better is just silly. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on appearance. Why does it matter to anyone else?

I do agree. I also think that this is a Performance Car, and thus should have the things that make it a Performance Car. Anyone can make any car fast. It's the supporting hardware that makes it the complete package.

Personally, I like the way the 20s and red brakes look, not to mention the spoiler. And I love that all of it is covered under warranty. Others may disagree. Potholes are not a factor (for me), despite having crappy roads. People break any size wheels.

There was a thread just yesterday with someone breaking two 19s, for one thing.

Last edited:
I’m still trying to understand the demographics here I guess since I come from 8 years of Corvette ownership where we didn’t have pedestrian models around the forum. Do M3 owners on the BMW forums whine about their wheels and want base 3 series wheels instead?

Whatever makes your little man syndrome happy I guess.

I mean, you're the one that appears to have genital size compensation tied up in their car and keeps bringing it up... double bonus points for being a vette owner on that one :)

I do agree. I also think that this is a Performance Car, and thus should have the things that make it a Performance Car.

Like less boat-anchory wheels? Plus a lot more options for aftermarket wheels if you want em? Agreed :)

At least when some OEMs offer you a "bigger" wheel they have the decency to WIDEN the thing.

Tesla? Just extra useless weight on theirs.

I mean, you're the one that appears to have genital size compensation tied up in their car and keeps bringing it up... double bonus points for being a vette owner on that one :)

Like less boat-anchory wheels? Plus a lot more options for aftermarket wheels if you want em? Agreed :)

At least when some OEMs offer you a "bigger" wheel they have the decency to WIDEN the thing.

The new C8 Vette is attracting totally new buyers into the VETTE
Looks amazing many Fcar and Lambo owners adding them to their stable
should be on the roads in the next few months

Anyone else think that Tesla is simply running an experiment? Can’t imagine why someone would pass up the hardware when you could just pawn it off and pocket the difference.

I too think they are trying this out b/c they saw how people snatched up the Stealths the last 2-3x they offered them off the menu. I know I came in looking to place an order for a LR AWD and when I casually mentioned, why I couldn't just get the performance of the P but without the 20s. To which the sales guy said that I was in luck and Tesla did offer Stealths off the menu. At the time (early Nov '19) there were only leftover Stealths from the 3Q19 batch and they were all on the east coast and required 2k to ship back to CA. Instead he said, just wait and see if they offer it again and I can upgrade/change my order if/when it happens.

For the 2k that they offered the Stealth for over the cost of a LR AWD, this was/is the biggest no brainer upgrade offered in the history of cars. It seems like not a lot of folks on here were automotive enthusiasts prior to getting their Teslas, but you cannot spend 2k in the world of ICE and gain anywhere near 1 sec in 0-60 acceleration time, let alone almost 1.5 secs. No way, no how. It would cost many many more thousands of $$$$ and/or removal of seats/deadweight and even more compromise to reliability, comfort, efficiency, etc.

So hell yeah, for 2k, I was all over it for a Stealth even tho the car was for my wife. Who cares, one day it might come in handy to just blow by someone or get away from a bad situation. But now, Tesla wised up and said hmm, we can sell 2k software updates for 0.5 secs of gain (still a good value, but no where near as good as a full Stealth's). They figured, why not offer the stealth for the same price as the Performance to see how many suckers take it. Instant profit win/win for Tesla and a smart strategy. However, if I had to do it all over again, given the current choices, I would just order the Performance with all the upgrades and just sell off the stuff I didn't want like the 20s. Why would anyone not take free parts? Its only a minor amount of time to sell them if you already have new wheels/tires and what you get for them would pay for themselves. I don't see why anyone would actually pay for a Stealth at this point. Personally, I do want the red upgraded brakes but b/c they don't fit under the stock aeros, well, that made my decision all the easier.

Reactions: Dolemite

GM went from 18/19’s on the base C7 Corvettes to 19/20’s on the Z51 package cars without increasing widths, why do you think that would be? Oh that’s right, sidewall stiffness, less rollover at the same tire pressure and they just look better. No one on those forums cried about boat anchors, infact the base wheels are worth 1/4 of what the Z51’s are.

I had a stealth on an overnight test drive, I almost decided against ordering a Model 3 at all because of it after pushing it to the limits (turn in was terrible, mid corner grip wasn’t there and brakes were anemic). It felt nothing like the full performance car I drove first but I thought I was imagining things. Yes tires are a big part of it but the whole package is designed for a reason.

Last edited:
GM went from 18/19’s on the base C7 Corvettes to 19/20’s on the Z51 package cars without increasing widths, why do you think that would be? Oh that’s right, sidewall stiffness, less rollover at the same tire pressure and they just look better. No one on those forums cried about boat anchors, infact the base wheels are worth 1/4 of what the Z51’s are.

I had a stealth on an overnight test drive, I almost decided against ordering a Model 3 at all because of it after pushing it to the limits (turn in was terrible, mid corner grip wasn’t there and brakes were anemic). It felt nothing like the full performance car I drove first but I thought I was imagining things. Yes tires are a big part of it but the whole package is designed for a reason.

Your responses are the gift that keep on giving. :)