Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personalised Reg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my plate back in 1997 just to have a cleaner looking plate on my bmw 3 series.

It would be worth more and look better on an EV (and make it look like I had foresight) if my wife’s name was Genna rather than Gemma.
DB832FB4-DCB6-4229-B122-3FF8FD30F229.jpeg

The original number is always reserved by DVLA so the car will always revert to the original one.
Not true, but I thought it was until recently. My wife was selling her car and when she applied to have the private reg removed the DVLA issued a completely different reg to the original. When we enquiried they said it happens from time to time due to "business need" whatever that means.

The original number the car was first registered with stays with the car forever and goes back on if a private plate is removed. The only exception is if someone wanted that original number for something else, then another generic number would be issued. Retention is only for the number you wish to keep and don't have a vehicle to assign it. I've had my private number for many years and every car i've removed it from has always gone back to the number it started with.
I can confirm this too.

I've had my PP from when I first got my license (many moons ago) and have it on every car I've owned since. Every time I've swapped cars and either retained or transferred them, it's always reverted back to the original registration number I purchased the car on. This stretches back to a number of decades and quite a few cars.

Reactions: Mr H
I got a free “cherished” plate with a used car I bought years ago (R3 NNN). I still have this plate on retention but can’t be bothered to use it. I quite like it because it’s simple, but I don’t care much about number plates. Maybe I should call mine a “neglected” plate?

• Funny
Reactions: Doudeau
I am tempted - but none of the plates I own would suit the Tesla. I have V8, V12 and W12 all ending in WMD which have all been on appropriate cars. I was toying with AMP ... but actually it's quite nice to have an anonymous looking car and plate as most of my other cars have been a little more memorable. :)

I find the personalised plates too expensive. Personalised number plates can cost thousands of pounds, whereas it only costs £36 to change your name by deed poll.

Mr John NR18DSE

I looked at it the other way round, my plate is 5 characters of alternating vowel & consonants which does make a pronounceable word as the only number is a 1(L). So I've registered the .com and .co.uk websites as well. If anyone wants the website I can up the price to include the plates as well, 5 letter domain names that look like a word are now very rare. Worst case I told my son to name his child the same as the plate so nearly the same as your idea and as it starts A1 it means they can be called Al for short.

I looked at it the other way round, my plate is 5 characters of alternating vowel & consonants which does make a pronounceable word as the only number is a 1(L). So I've registered the .com and .co.uk websites as well. If anyone wants the website I can up the price to include the plates as well, 5 letter domain names that look like a word are now very rare. Worst case I told my son to name his child the same as the plate so nearly the same as your idea and as it starts A1 it means they can be called Al for short.
On that basis I may ask my Daughter to name her next child if it's a boy as per @Mr Miserable suggestion:

John NR18DSE = John N Ribdse

Ah, that explains Elon’s son’s name!

• Funny
Reactions: Dasher