Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't do it -- Tesla dropped the AP/FSD price to trick the last few v8 holdouts into tapping the "Install" button.

BTW, I've been on v9 since the roll out and have almost forgotten Tesla once had a good UI for the Model S/X, so it doesn't seem like it sucks as bad as it did last year

v7 holdout here. Wish I was still on v6, but it crashed hard and they couldn't get it rebooted without updating to v7. :-(

Tesla's appalling software incompetence probably means I'll have to get rid of the car when the extended warranty expires, if something breaks and they can't fix it without updating to vGarbage. (If the warranty's still in effect, I'll sue 'em and make 'em put the old software back on.) Very sad, I wanted to keep the car forever.

So all in all I'm still wondering how they managed to do a mass roll out of such a bad update, I found myself at times just listening to FM because any of the other options were too frustrating or distracting to deal with.

The only answer: Tesla never test their software and the software team never listens to bug reports. Honestly if I could tell Musk one thing, I'd say fire the lot of them and get a real software dev team.

look, I get why people are upset.

they feel like something was taken away from them. that can be a bitter pill to swallow.
Yeah, it's called "theft" or more specifically "warranty violation"

but the manufacturer has a right to manipulate the user experience of their product.
Legally? No, they don't.

I got the same recall notice. It said parts won't be available for several months. But yeah, that's going to be a forced FW update. Damn.

Take our shitty UI and we won't blow the steering wheel up in your face.

The SC is not allowed to actually install the firmware. They are however allowed to download the update to your car and then you can choose when/if you want to install it, which is no different than what would happen anyhow.

The SC is not allowed to actually install the firmware. They are however allowed to download the update to your car and then you can choose when/if you want to install it, which is no different than what would happen anyhow.

I'm not sure where you're getting that information, but lots of people here will tell you (including me) that the Service Centers, as S.O.P., install the latest firmware when cars are in for service. Even when owners have specifically requested not to update the firmware, and have included post-it notes on the MCU, the firmware still gets updated. It's very very hard to prevent them from upgrading the firmware when in for service.

Maybe you're right in that they "aren't allowed" to, but they do anyway.

Reactions: Behind
I'm not sure where you're getting that information, but lots of people here will tell you (including me) that the Service Centers, as S.O.P., install the latest firmware when cars are in for service. Even when owners have specifically requested not to update the firmware, and have included post-it notes on the MCU, the firmware still gets updated. It's very very hard to prevent them from upgrading the firmware when in for service.

they told me they weren't allowed to. fortunately!
seems like a newer policy though. I was pretty damn glad.

Wow, that is new. When was that? I wonder what changed? The backlash from V9? (hopefully!)

When I needed a drive unit replaced, I asked them not to update the firmware (I think it was V6 to V7) and they said they can either replace the drive unit or not update the firmware. My choice. :rolleyes:

Probably around the time they started to ship untested code and realized that them being on the hook for installing garbage caused more issues.

Wow, that is new. When was that? I wonder what changed? The backlash from V9? (hopefully!)

When I needed a drive unit replaced, I asked them not to update the firmware (I think it was V6 to V7) and they said they can either replace the drive unit or not update the firmware. My choice. :rolleyes:
ouch! that seems F'd up (maybe the newer Q version DUs needed v7? didn't think so but?)
my 6th annual ...new rear upper links(warranty), TMPS upgraded + LTE..and a chipped windshield(already had one other chip though)..no wash, not charged o_O, but also did not get V9 installed...(TMPS & 4g - $320!) strange service, but not the worst

It's probably one of those things that varies by Service Center (yay for inconsistencies!). I brought my car in for annual service around the time the abomination that was the first version of V9 was released and specifically asked (told) them not to update. They said they strongly recommended I stay current on updates, but agreed to respect my wishes.

One of the things I miss in version Nein! is the separate automation on the climate control features. Before you could set one aspect in manual, say the airflow direction or AC on/off, the rest would stay in automatic. No more, they dumbed it down. It's now either on full auto or basically useless.

I can't stand the layout of the new "taskbar" either, the asymmetry when the temperatures are synced and collapsed to one drives me batty so I have them separate, and have to adjust them separately. Why is Tesla perpetually on self-destruct mode?