Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking in my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife and I are in the Temple, Texas area, just above Austin. I have had my Model 3 now for two years and love it. I experienced initial phantom braking with it but has virtually all been cleaned up with subsequent updates. However,,,,the wife just took delivery after thanksgiving of her Model Y. Our main tripping is between here and Houston (grandkids). Another great ride but the phantom braking is worse than I saw with the 3. But it is consistent,,,,,only when we meet an 18'wheeler in the adjacent oncoming lane. Really bad. Anyone else seeing this? Am I right,,,being a new tesla out of Fremont,,,that it comes with Tesla Vision (and w/o radar)? If so,,,there needs to be an update. Just wanted feedback from other recent new owners.

Also,,,,hate to not have my finger on the Tesla pulse that most do,,,,but are Fremont Y's shipping with the new 3 part cast frames and with 4680 batteries? (Or will that only be coming out of Texas when up and running?)

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad
This should help you understand why/how the braking has been programmed

This should help you understand why/how the braking has been programmed

I read this interesting article about buffeting, but I see no relevance to Phantom braking.

Reactions: DrGriz
I’m fairly certain that’s untrue. I have a late 20 YP with radar though I still don’t think that matters. Some time ago they stopped using input via software for radar so it wouldn’t matter if the hardware was there or not. There Not doing multiple versions of software for years for radar equipped and not versions. They simply don’t Use the hardware yet it’s become misguided forum crutch to analyze
Same for me. I have a late '20 YLR. It does have radar, though I don't suppose it is actually used with current software releases. And yes, I do regularly get phantom braking.

Same for me. I have a late '20 YLR. It does have radar, though I don't suppose it is actually used with current software releases. And yes, I do regularly get phantom braking.
I have a radar car as well, but I haven't seen confirmed anywhere that the radar is no longer being used. I suspect that when I get into the FSD program (a month now, still waiting) that it won't be used. But not sure about basic AP.

I have a radar car as well, but I haven't seen confirmed anywhere that the radar is no longer being used. I suspect that when I get into the FSD program (a month now, still waiting) that it won't be used. But not sure about basic AP.
radar is still being used if you have it unless you're on FSD Beta.

Easy way to check? set following distance to "1" or AP speed to 90mph

Reactions: tryangles
Had this happen to me 3 times now and i took delivery of my MY 3 weeks ago. Scared the *sugar* out of me first time. Was on a multilane highway came up on a semi in the next lane going same direction. Right as i got to the corner of the trailer it just slams on the brakes. Was somewhat ready for it next two times. Guess i’ll just click it off for now as i go by til it gets fixed.

Reactions: Haark
I agree it needs to be fixed badly. The irony of this is right after posting earlier that my phantom braking was rare I’ve had it happen three times. The last one was yesterday on a totally clear road where I have no earthly idea what could have triggered it. I was just lucky no one was behind me.

I agree it needs to be fixed badly. The irony of this is right after posting earlier that my phantom braking was rare I’ve had it happen three times. The last one was yesterday on a totally clear road where I have no earthly idea what could have triggered it. I was just lucky no one was behind me.
Just a suggestion with some assumptions. Your weather now in MN is not much different then in Chicago. Snow, wet, salt and water. consider cleaning the top center of the wind screen camera area. (And not just a wipers on smear the salt around) Think of the camera as a single eye the size of a pupil. if you had a 1/8” crystal of salt on your pupil would your vision be hampered? I’ve had few if any deceleration events until the windscreen started collecting salt. Just a suggestion.

Just a suggestion with some assumptions. Your weather now in MN is not much different then in Chicago. Snow, wet, salt and water. consider cleaning the top center of the wind screen camera area. (And not just a wipers on smear the salt around) Think of the camera as a single eye the size of a pupil. if you had a 1/8” crystal of salt on your pupil would your vision be hampered? I’ve had few if any deceleration events until the windscreen started collecting salt. Just a suggestion.
Curious. Why would this only happen on Tesla's and not any other car during the winter?

Put differently, if dirt/snow/salt,whatever,is causing such major issues then it's a faulty system.

Having said that, there are tons of posts now on this forum and everywhere that show phantom breaking in any climate.

Curious. Why would this only happen on Tesla's and not any other car during the winter?

Put differently, if dirt/snow/salt,whatever,is causing such major issues then it's a faulty system.

Having said that, there are tons of posts now on this forum and everywhere that show phantom breaking in any climate.
Yet I was replying to someone that said they rarely had a braking event and this week they had one and happens to be in a snow belt area like I am. You can dispute all you like, it was just a suggestion that helped me. Contribute vs complain is my direction.

Reactions: DanDi58
Yet I was replying to someone that said they rarely had a braking event and this week they had one and happens to be in a snow belt area like I am. You can dispute all you like, it was just a suggestion that helped me. Contribute vs complain is my direction.
Complain to Tesla is what should be happening. I keep saying it, this isn't a waffle maker that we are being the test subjects for. Folks should be outraged with this sort of car behaviour. The more that complain to Tesla (and whatever authority governs auto safety in the US.. NHTSA) maybe at some point they will listen.

But I am genuinely curious, as I have no idea. Do non Tesla cars that have similar cruise control (what ever the auto pilot would be called) use cameras or radar or something else?