Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking without self-driving features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, I'm thinking of trading in my new VW ID.4 for a Tesla MY. I've about had it with the limited CCS charging network and VW's poor service. But Tesla's phantom braking reports have me worried. Reading reports from this site, it seems that all or most seem to be on vehicles that have some flavor of self-driving features.
So my question: Has anyone had phantom braking issues in the "plain vanilla" Model Y? If so, is there any indication the problems are lessening in the 2023 model?
Has your foot on the accelerator, and press it when you feel a slow down. With a little practice, it becomes a no-brainer. That’s what you do to a regular car when you start on a up-hill road.

While using TACC, I've had two PB events in the 14 months since buying a Feb 2022 MSLR, no FSD. Those two events happened in the first couple days of ownership. Absolutely no PB since. This car is awesome!
Be careful in TACC mode when you pass the car ahead that has just turned off into a side road. It tagged me for a collision warning and torpedoed my near-perfect safety score. This matters bc it added about $4 to my Tesla insurance premium!

We just did our first road trip in our 23 MY, 3rd time using cruise control, and 10 mins in it slammed on the brakes at 80mph down to 40 in maybe 1s before I heavily accelerated back to speed as I had just overtaken a truck and trailer moments before and he was in the back of my mind. Luckily there was about 3s of space left. I'm sure the trucker was wondering wtf just happened. Wife is deathy afraid of this vehicle and asked me at least 6 times if it's going to do that even w/o cruise.

Because of the misinformation found in the forum here, I thought phantom braking only affected autopilot. Those people spreading this information have no idea what they're talking about and should just delete their posts.

We just did our first road trip in our 23 MY, 3rd time using cruise control, and 10 mins in it slammed on the brakes at 80mph down to 40 in maybe 1s before I heavily accelerated back to speed as I had just overtaken a truck and trailer moments before and he was in the back of my mind. Luckily there was about 3s of space left. I'm sure the trucker was wondering wtf just happened. Wife is deathy afraid of this vehicle and asked me at least 6 times if it's going to do that even w/o cruise.

Because of the misinformation found in the forum here, I thought phantom braking only affected autopilot. Those people spreading this information have no idea what they're talking about and should just delete their posts.
TACC is just Autopilot with the auto-steer turned off. It will PB exactly the same. Just to clarify though, your PB events were with TACC (cruise control) enabled, correct?

I thought phantom braking only affected autopilot.
Autopilot is a set of features. Two of those features are Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) and Autosteer. If TACC is on, then Autopilot is on. Here is a snippet from the 2022+ owners manual.
Screenshot_20230406_182225_Chrome.jpg

Someone proves me wrong but after a few researches I get that Tesla does not have "normal dummy" cruise control - means only do speed controlling for you. It's actually TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control), means that it can make braking/accelerate decisions based on the traffic around you which sucks, cause yes, PB can happen when you're on cruise control only, not Autopilot/Autosteer/FSD. I learned it my hard way too. My partner used to work in self driving car company that was backed by GM, they compete with Waymo. We don't understand why people are very comfortable trying Tesla's FSD beta features, we just can't. Thinking that with cruise control and Tesla cars can still have random mistake then what can happen with FSD? Don't get me wrong, I still like the car but I'm not at the point where I can completely trust their technology.

I briefly enabled the FSD trial back in 2018, and became an ex-user after getting flipped off due to phantom braking. Best I can tell, there have been no significant improvements with TACC wrt PB over the last 5 years.

It is absurd that the option to enable "dumb" cruise control is not available. It works just fine on my 2018 M3 - much easier to use than typical cruise control IMO since you can use the jogwheel to dial in the target speed. I have not purchased AP/EAP for this reason.

Reactions: espresso_
Yeah I mean there is no option to even opt out TACC, like I just want dumb cruise control just like the one on other cars, do I understand correctly?
That's right, no plain cruise control like ICE cars.

I must say basic Autopilot is ONLY for controlled access roads, meaning highways. TACC works great for stop and go traffic like in congested Los Angeles highways.

Reactions: espresso_
I said autopilot when I meant FSD, but yes I see on the manual it defines TACC under AP.

I'm thankful we didn't drive the Y on our last trip just a couple months prior on the same route b/c we had snow and ice. That'd be a quick and shitty way to end it all

I feel like a lab rat seeing that TACC is listed as a beta feature in the manual after experiencing this. If that's the case there should be a warning you have to accept when enabling TACC that says Vehicle can unexpectedly and aggressively enable the brakes whether or not there is a real immediate danger and I can and will send your luggage, your snacks, drinks, and any pets hurling towards the front seats

They need to add an option to set the cruise mode when not using any other auto driving features since this problem has been ongoing for many years already

Yeah I mean there is no option to even opt out TACC, like I just want dumb cruise control just like the one on other cars, do I understand correctly?
That is correct, if you have AP (standard on all Teslas made in the last few years) you ONLY have TACC as a cruise control option. Before some time in 2019 (I think) Autopilot was $2k option, and if you did not option it you go a (fantastic) dumb cruise control. But if you 'upgraded' to AP later you forever lost the dumb option. I am forever grateful that I did not option AP when I bought the car, because I really like the dumb one that Tesla provided.
I said autopilot when I meant FSD, but yes I see on the manual it defines TACC under AP.

I'm thankful we didn't drive the Y on our last trip just a couple months prior on the same route b/c we had snow and ice. That'd be a quick and shitty way to end it all

I feel like a lab rat seeing that TACC is listed as a beta feature in the manual after experiencing this. If that's the case there should be a warning you have to accept when enabling TACC that says Vehicle can unexpectedly and aggressively enable the brakes whether or not there is a real immediate danger and I can and will send your luggage, your snacks, drinks, and any pets hurling towards the front seats

They need to add an option to set the cruise mode when not using any other auto driving features since this problem has been ongoing for many years already
Especially frustrating since there is a basic 'dumb' cruise control already coded into the software, they just don't give you a way to access it. If you have AP, you are lock out from it.

After reading all these posts about mirage image causing PB, I have a question. Does PB happen at night?
Yes. I picked up my car 5 hours away from my house and drove it back at night. Happened twice on the 5 hour drive home. One was enough to notice and the 2nd one was an attention getter. The 2nd one scared the *sugar* out of me and my passenger. Both happened on a straight away with no traffic.

It happens to me randomly. The most recent was driving to work again on a straight away with a car following me. I felt bad for the car following me because my Tesla decided it was time to brake check them. Pushed on accelerator to stop the hard brake hoping to get through what ever it 'saw' that wasn't there to brake for and it didn't want to resume. I had to turn AP (I have EAP but wasn't using it) off and drive a few miles with it off.

Another annoyance is if a car turns through your lane and is at the right distance the car will hard brake to avoid hitting them even if the car is well gone out of your lane. I'm talking a car 75-100yards maybe? Car passes through the lane in 1/2 second and is gone. Tesla see's the car a full second later and hard brakes to avoid that car. I just push the accelerator to override and let it resume. I'm getting more and more used to that but still an annoyance.