Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking now bad on vision only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IIRC the presentation that explained why they were removing the radar was more about working on one software stack rather than two. They knew that the radar lost track of other cars at times, so rather than spend development time on both radar and vision, they decided to concentrate on vision alone. I don't think they said removing radar alone would fix the phantom braking, just remove some of the causes and allow them to spend more time getting vision to work.
My recollection was they couldn't reconcile what the radar and the cameras were saying and decided the radar was usually wrong. Either way it does make you feel like a guinea pig while they try to work things out. I'm also puzzled how NCAP rate things so highly - they must count features and nbot how well executed they are.

Surely you do have Autopilot though? It's standard on all Model3 is it not? It's just FSD that's the "optional extra"?

It all can get a bit confusing, but I just want to use a cruise control as basic as it can be, without the crazy braking! HAHA!
Sorry - yes, quite right! I do have autopilot, just not FSD.

Hardly use autopilot because of having to switch it off to change lanes, and it's not worth three and a half grand to me to get rid of the inconvenience!

But I get phantom braking on TACC.

I’m now sick and tired of Autopilot and TACC. I just want a ‘dumb’ cruise control that keeps to a set speed. In my old Merc I used to use cruise control in 20 and 30 mph zones to avoid tickets. The Tesla version is useless in urban environments and Phantom Braking makes it unusable on motorways.

I did a return journey from Bristol to Manchester last week and my passengers were terrified by the bloody thing keep slamming on the brakes. It is useless and worse than that, dangerous.

Same!!! The simple speedtronic on my 2016 GLC just worked and I never even thought of it until I got the model 3… it’s embarrassing how much I’ve spent on this car and basic things just don’t seem to work half the time. Phantom braking is one thing, auto wipers not working properly 70% of the time is another thing and when I complain or ask for solutions for these tesla fans usually just laugh at me or tell me that I should hover my foot over the pedal while on cruise control or that the wipers will improve over time.

I'd like to meet the Phantom and give him a heavy kick in the nuts.

TACC/Autopilot (or whatever) is up there for the worst implemented feature prize IMO. I don't find it dangerous, just irritating in the extreme. Like @init6, the only circumstance I find it useful in is the average speed limits on motorways. Even then I'm on tenterhooks with it.

As several others have said, it would just be better if they gave us traditional cruise without the smarts as an option. At least that more limited ambition feature works—although I'm sure Tesla would find a way to apply agile software development methodologies to give us 70% of that feature for two years until it comes up in a sprint again.

TACC/Autopilot (or whatever) is up there for the worst implemented feature prize IMO. I don't find it dangerous, just irritating in the extreme. Like @init6, the only circumstance I find it useful in is the average speed limits on motorways. Even then I'm on tenterhooks with it.
i didn't say that I only use it to avoid speeding tickets. I use it on the motorway for long trips (and some shorter ones too. I was merely replying to a concern someone had about using it to keep under the speed limit. Most of the time it works and works well for me.

Edit. The average speed areas I use it on are not on motorways. Roads tend to be clear so haven't seen the issues some have with parked cars.

i didn't say that I only use it to avoid speeding tickets. I use it on the motorway for long trips (and some shorter ones too. I was merely replying to a concern someone had about using it to keep under the speed limit. Most of the time it works and works well for me.

Edit. The average speed areas I use it on are not on motorways. Roads tend to be clear so haven't seen the issues some have with parked cars.
I wasn't suggesting you did, merely that I too find it useful to keep under those limits.

I think Jeeves was agreeing with you

Reactions: Jeeves
I yearn for a rear mounted rolling LED display that says "Are you ready for your Tesla phantom brake test?" for tailgaters.

5... 4... 3... 2...1...

I know it's not cool to reply your own post but

Amazon.co.uk has a 12V programmable scrolling LED display for £36

The Phantom knows what evil lurks in the hearts of people with £36 to spend ;-)

51IWC35RGHS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This phantom is a seriously real, and dangerous, thing. It is 100% reproducible in my cases. EVERY single time a large truck approaches me from the opposite lane it will 100% of the time slam on the brakes if I’m using even CC. It doesn’t just brake….it is full emergency braking. It’s bad now….it’s going to be horrific when the roads get slippery. Just watch what happens then…

For me its odd how peoples experiences are different on what is essentially the same product. I drive my model 3 to get to work on the motorways and A roads (50 miles) and have done some fairly long trips in it (600miles+). I was about to post and ask if others had seen a reduction in the number of Phantom braking in the last couple of software revisions, as for my use case its all but disapeared. I think I have had one event in the last month.

Perhaps I am driving round the issue?

Last edited:
For me its odd how peoples experiences are different on what is essentially the same product. I drive my model 3 to get to work on the motorways and A roads (50 miles) and have done some fairly long trips in it (600miles+). I was about to post and ask if others had seen a reduction in the number of Phantom braking in the last couple of software revisions, as for my use case its all but disapeared. I think I have had one event in the last month.

Perhaps I am driving round the issue?
It surprises me too. I’m not sure how much you can attribute any improvements to software updates and how much is down to being autumn if some of the causes are shadows under bridges for example, and roads, traffic density, angle of the sun, willingness to use, and probably a million other variables all probably play their part.

I wonder if the majority of really hard phantom breaks occur in circumstances where autopilot should not be used? I am reading here about occasions with a lorry in on the opposite lane etc. This is not a motorway situation where autopilot currently should only be used.
On my experience I have the FSD suite and I am using it daily on my commute which is 115 miles in total. Includes motorway, A roads and some really crap B roads. I would say that I am on autopilot on 85-90% of that commute. Never ever head a phantom break occur unless it was on a curve with a tractor coming the opposite lane (where I should not be using it).
If I had crashed it would be my and only my mistake of using a software which clearly states where and where not to use.
I also wonder about the speed under these situations occur. I notice that if I drive at speed limit or below it even on really tight situations it performs well. (any of you who drive on A41 behind a loaded lorry will understand me).
On motorway I had only one phantom break where I was on the fast lane and a dick of a lorry driver who was moving from left lane to middle went really close to the line and the car got spooked. I would probably have hit the breaks myself to be honest.

Reactions: M3noob and MrBadger