Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking now bad on vision only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot is something i am personally not too bothered about.

However, I do use cruise control (adaptive or “dumb”) a lot. On all types of roads and speed zones.
If the Tesla version of this (TACC) is basically unusable on anything but quiet stretches of motorway and dual carriageways, then that will make the next 3 years of my lease a misery!
Apart from range, it's the single most irritating feature. I used to use radar cruise all the time, including in town. TACC just cant cope with UK town roads with cars parked half on pavements etc. Even if it doesn't brake like a learner carrying a Ming vase it'll just bong at you the whole time and flash red vans on the screen... The phantom braking is definitely a feature of TACC (I don't have Autopilot). What gets less attention but makes me swear too is the programmed deceleration on sweeping m'way bends with TACC.
A misery - probably not. But they will be "interesting times" so maybe not a relaxing as you'd hoped.

We've not got vision here so its a moot point whether its better or worse than radar, but this is all linked top my long running frustration with the brand. Phantom braking was said to be the radar and yet it seems its not, or not that alone, promises it would be gone and yet safety systems are turned off in the US on cars without radar, they still fit radar to the MS so they're not completely sold on radar not being required etc. They (or rather Musk) is just never straight with us, he just keeps spinning us a yarn, or he simply doesn;t know which is just as worrying.

It's a good job 50-75% of what they promise is still good enough for me to want to drive the car, because thats how I see it now.

Would the car still perform a full on emergency stop if there's a car behind you on the motorway? Say the Tesla recognises that scenario, would it not apply the breaks as violently to avoid being rear-ended?

I'm extremely concerned with continuing with an order given that we travel with our 8 month old child in the back.

Would the car still perform a full on emergency stop if there's a car behind you on the motorway? Say the Tesla recognises that scenario, would it not apply the breaks as violently to avoid being rear-ended?

I'm extremely concerned with continuing with an order given that we travel with our 8 month old child in the back.
Sorry this is not supposed to come across as blunt, but its not dangerous if you don't use it. So maybe just don't use cruise control until its sorted.

Sorry this is not supposed to come across as blunt, but its not dangerous if you don't use it. So maybe just don't use cruise control until its sorted.

This is what @Simonix said earlier
I do use cruise control (adaptive or “dumb”) a lot. On all types of roads and speed zones.
If it's important to them, who are we to say don't use it? If a comfy seat's important to me, I wouldn't want to sit on a spike.

Reactions: Simonix
Apart from range, it's the single most irritating feature. I used to use radar cruise all the time, including in town. TACC just cant cope with UK town roads with cars parked half on pavements etc. Even if it doesn't brake like a learner carrying a Ming vase it'll just bong at you the whole time and flash red vans on the screen... The phantom braking is definitely a feature of TACC (I don't have Autopilot). What gets less attention but makes me swear too is the programmed deceleration on sweeping m'way bends with TACC.
A misery - probably not. But they will be "interesting times" so maybe not a relaxing as you'd hoped.

Surely you do have Autopilot though? It's standard on all Model3 is it not? It's just FSD that's the "optional extra"?

It all can get a bit confusing, but I just want to use a cruise control as basic as it can be, without the crazy braking! HAHA!

To put the being rear ended in perspective, do a search of how many accidents there have been where this had actually been the end result of phantom braking. I cannot recall hearing of any, although that is not to say it’s never happened, touch wood.

You do end up with a driving style which will mitigate against the worst of braking events. Many times these things are not as severe as you think they are. Even 1mph deceleration feels harsh yet other road users would not notice that. I’ve had several full on events, but unless you are not paying attention you will catch it before too many mph are shed. It may give a tailgating car food for thought but it’s no different to you slamming on and losing 20mph. That’s not a comfortable amount of speed to shed, but it’s not the same as coming to a dead stop from 70. Thankfully these events are incredibly rare but most of the time they are fairly easy to predict the circumstances when they may occur and either don’t use it in those scenarios (most are in the manual) or use your right foot to cover the accelerator in the same way that it will cover the brake in an emergency braking scenario. If you drive with both feet on the floor you will have problems though but keeping foot in normal driving position will allow it to quickly take up any slack if needed.

Reactions: M3noob and init6
One thing you will learn about Tesla's is that no two cars are exactly the same. Some people will get phantom braking some will not. If you read these forums you will be much more aware of potential issues and may worry about them. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss. Perhaps we should post every time we have an uneventful journey just to balance the perception and reality. :)

Phantom braking was said to be the radar and yet it seems its not, or not that alone, promises it would be gone and yet safety systems are turned off in the US on cars without radar, they still fit radar to the MS so they're not completely sold on radar not being required etc.
IIRC the presentation that explained why they were removing the radar was more about working on one software stack rather than two. They knew that the radar lost track of other cars at times, so rather than spend development time on both radar and vision, they decided to concentrate on vision alone. I don't think they said removing radar alone would fix the phantom braking, just remove some of the causes and allow them to spend more time getting vision to work.

Dont make your kid a tesla beta tester

Reactions: candida
In some respects, it’s a positive thing that some of well known players in Tesla world are really bringing phantom braking to the fore.
whether it’s vision only FSD beta or in the radar vision mix. It’s highlighting the fact that something isn’t right, it’s global and it’s a very real accident waiting to happen. Whether it be software coding, AI misinterpretation or hardware deficiencies, what is clear is that on one hand, US road safety agencies have it on their radar and the other hand, beta testers and owners generally are raising alarm very publicly and rightly so.
Now is surely the time for Tesla to pare back what the cameras/radar sees, to a point where phantom braking no longer occurs and build back from there.
If they just try to program it out, they could easily cause problems elsewhere.