Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking Still a Problem?

Is Phantom Braking a Problem with your Model Y?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just curious what the collective group is experiencing

The "collective group" discussion on this topic is in the subforum dedicated to autopilot and FSD discussion since this is a topic that occurs on autopilot or FSD:

I linked some discussion threads on this topic in another thread in this subforum, but if you actually want to read about what people are saying, its in that subforum in a bunch of threads.

Here is one from the model Y subforum:

Here are just a few in the subforum dedicated to the discussion of autopilot and FSD:

(57 pages of posts, last post Mid October 2022)

There is definitely more. You can search the subforum above for the term "phantom braking" and get probably 5-10 pages of search results that will give you the collective group discussion you mention you are looking for.

EDIT: Pretty much all of the discussion on TMC around Autopilot / FSD and associated features is negative, but thats sort of the nature of the internet. People who say they like it here (or elsewhere) basically have to be prepared for an "internet fight", so most of the people who either are ambivalent to it or like it just dont bother looking at threads on the topic.

Last edited:
I’m just gonna check the numbers in a week. I predict most voters will say they have issues Because as @jjrandorin pointed out, results are likely skewed to negative because people with no issues are less likely to visit a forum or thread about something that doesn’t affect them. now what flavor popcorn 🍿 should I buy.

I voted "No, software fixed it" because that's closer to my experience than "Yes, but I still use it." I very occasionally get phantom braking that I'm not expecting. There are plenty of places that a new Tesla driver will be surprised by - pedestrians, speed limit changes, and cresting some hills in particular - but I'm pretty familiar with all of them by now and it's not "phantom braking" it's "the car is being conservative because stupid people did stupid things and then sued over it."

If you use autopilot with that in mind, almost every event is easy to see coming.

Thank you jjrandorin for the links and suggestions. I’m fairly new on here and didn’t realize there was a subforum for FSD. I think it will be helpful to read those posts. My only thoughts are that some might be dated because of software updates along the way. I know the updates come out frequently but have no idea when or what those updates fixed. Also I’m hoping the survey would be easy for anyone to cast a vote and not just the negative. I see only 5 people have participated in the survey so far and hoping for more.

Even though there are many pages of posts on this topic, I think this poll will be good for showing a quick overview of how big this problem is or isn't.
Agreed. I’m reading lots of stories about this problem and it looks terrible. But I’m wondering how many people aren’t saying anything because they don’t have this issue. It would seem 100% have this to some degree or another.

I have a 20' M3SP and 23' MYP and no, the issue is not fixed in the latest update for either car. The issue started on my M3 with the update where they removed radar support - never an issue before. The phantom braking can be on the highway with no cars around, no bridges, no overpasses - nothing and start braking with TACC on (I don't use autopilot).

It is road-specific - a different highway does not exhibit the problem. I think my specific issue is tar or whatever they use to patch cracks on the highway gets interpreted as a car suddenly appearing when the light is just right or such. It can happen 0-8 times on a 30 minute drive. The indicated speed limit doesn't change. It is not heavy braking - more like if you lifted off the throttle and regen kicked in. Usually lasts a few seconds. Seems like it is less frequent in later updates but hard to tell as it is so random.

I have a 20' M3SP and 23' MYP and no, the issue is not fixed in the latest update for either car. The issue started on my M3 with the update where they removed radar support - never an issue before. The phantom braking can be on the highway with no cars around, no bridges, no overpasses - nothing and start braking with TACC on (I don't use autopilot).

It is road-specific - a different highway does not exhibit the problem. I think my specific issue is tar or whatever they use to patch cracks on the highway gets interpreted as a car suddenly appearing when the light is just right or such. It can happen 0-8 times on a 30 minute drive. The indicated speed limit doesn't change. It is not heavy braking - more like if you lifted off the throttle and regen kicked in. Usually lasts a few seconds. Seems like it is less frequent in later updates but hard to tell as it is so random.
+1 to your user name!!!’