Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's important to note that as of yesterday's AP press report, not a single accident or injury has yet to occur with regards to 'phantom braking' in this gov't investigation. It seems that the department is reacting to the number of complains rather than the severity.

I wonder how many lives the system has saved thus far...

1645190049379.png

Last edited:
Now the story has made the NY Times

Per the NHTSA document, only 354 people have filed complaints. Does anyone know how to submit a complaint? Phantom breaking happens to me predictably going around gently downhill highway curves. Neither safe nor enjoyable to suddenly decelerate from 60 to 45 mph on interstate highway while on cruise control.

-- Josh
I believe this is where you do it

@ the discussion above, it seems a chunk of the complaints happen when large trucks approach in an adjacent lane and clearly not related to speed limits.

Another chunk is going around curves with a vehicle in the opposing lane, clearly not related to speed limits.

If speed limit adjustments are causing bad experiences for drivers, or if the system isn't supposed to be used on curves without a divider etc, there's surely something that can be done to alleviate the issue. Many of the complaints claim TACC is unusable for them, and that isn't cool as a consumer.

The NHTSA will consult with Tesla, possibly also people who submitted complaints, will pull data to verify or disprove/explain occurrences, and all that good stuff. This ain't the first rodeo for any of them.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Now the story has made the NY Times

Per the NHTSA document, only 354 people have filed complaints. Does anyone know how to submit a complaint? Phantom breaking happens to me predictably going around gently downhill highway curves. Neither safe nor enjoyable to suddenly decelerate from 60 to 45 mph on interstate highway while on cruise control.

-- Josh
But didnt you know? Thats the way you are supposed to drive. You are the problem, not the FSD.
If you are in the far left lane of a interstate, and a state trooper has someone pulled over on the far right emergency lane of the road? YOU are supposed to just brake in your lane..for no reason. (Because thats what FSD does, so it must be right) 🤣 🤣

I wonder how many lives the system has saved thus far...
Many of the people submitting complaints claim the system is unusable for them, so I think the next question in that line of reasoning would be how many more lives could be saved if the system wasn't deterring some people from using it.

And how many people are buying the vehicles partially based on AP, based on the safety stats etc, and end up with something they can't even use

But didnt you know? Thats the way you are supposed to drive. You are the problem, not the FSD.
If you are in the far left lane of a interstate, and a state trooper has someone pulled over on the far right emergency lane of the road? YOU are supposed to just brake in your lane..for no reason. (Because thats what FSD does, so it must be right) 🤣 🤣
Well why not. In UK on a 4 lane motorway (highway) if a car breaks down or they shut the left lane for works the new "Smart motorways" slow all lanes to 50 or even 40MPH nowadays. If they're working in lane 1 then lanes 2 & 3 get coned off too to provide a safety buffer (even when there's no one actually working in there!. It's the way of the modern world where common sense has been kicked out & the nanny state takes over.

Actually AP does that even if the trooper is on the right-hand berm of the other side of a divided interstate highway!

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy
And he's too juvenile minded to realize, that tweets like this? Quite possibly catch the eye of a powerful person at one of these agencies..and quite possibly, can be just the final straw to change that powerful persons priorities for that particular day and gets the attention focused on Tesla..

Like..there is zero upside to tweeting much of what Elon actually tweets..SEC fines, NHTSA attention. If he only just..shut up sometimes? And focus on fixing things? Tesla possibly wouldnt get as much negative press..

Reactions: gforce2002
Many of the people submitting complaints claim the system is unusable for them, so I think the next question in that line of reasoning would be how many more lives could be saved if the system wasn't deterring some people from using it.
Yes, auto braking and collision avoidance are great features of the vehicle, yielding even more gains the more people who use it. Teslas are never finished. They constantly evolve (3 steps forward, 1 back).

Like..there is zero upside to tweeting much of what Elon actually tweets..SEC fines, NHTSA attention. If he only just..shut up sometimes? And focus on fixing things? Tesla possibly wouldnt get as much negative press..
He may be rich, and he may even be brilliant, but he is still focused on giving us fart noises and video games just like any 13 year old boy would be.

Confirmed- you don't' understand the difference between the driving system, and the data been provided to it.

You keep trying to explain a system you admit you have no understanding of.

You're not even self aware enough to realize you admitted it, or be embarrassed by the fact you keep trying to do it anyway.

One doesn’t need to have to have a deep understanding of the terms and exact causes to know that the system isn’t working for them. This is mostly about consumer feedback. Some consumers are saying there’s a problem. Some have debated a bit around the problem and still feel, after the debate, there’s a problem. That’s pretty much it. It’s up to the product people to decide what to do with that feedback. To find the root causes, etc.. or yes even justify it if that’s what they choose. (But I think the consensus is that in this case they have acknowledged it’s something they’d like to work ob)

Also at some point saying it’s “user error” or “by design” can be a way to dodge the fact that there’s a problem. I would not want someone on my team whom hides behind “by design” for some feature that in fact has some sort of problem. That’s a jr developer statement.

Lastly I have to point out a large number of your posts are divisive. They are routinely insulting to a fair number of people repeatedly. Everyone is just trying to talk about the issue. They have opinions which might be different from yours or mine but they are their opinions and should be respected. You’ve made your opinion known. It’s really not necessary to try to shut everyone else in the room down.

One doesn’t need to have to have a deep understanding of the terms and exact causes to know that the system isn’t working for them.

No, but one needs at least a basic understanding to know which thing isn't.

If the problem is the database has the wrong speed limits then that's fixed by fixing the database.

Ranting about the driving algorithms that are working perfectly, even after having multiple people explain those aren't the problem in that situation, accomplishes nothing but demonstrating ones ignorance of the actual issue.

As an analogy- if your dishwasher doesn't work because your water main broke, yelling at the appliance company is wasting everyone's time and making you look silly.

Just as here, In the cases of braking due to incorrect speed limits, the issue is the speed limit, not the driving system.

This is mostly about consumer feedback. Some consumers are saying there’s a problem. Some have debated a bit around the problem and still feel, after the debate, there’s a problem. That’s pretty much it.

It's not that simple though.

Because there's, at least, 3 different problems that keep getting bunched into the same discussion.

One is braking due to speed limits changing. That s fixed by updating the speed limit database and has nothing to do with the driving code. This is not unique to Tesla, though it's somewhat less common because not everyone has a system that uses speed limits at all, and not everyone uses the same sources for speeds either.

One is AEB. Which mostly works fine in Teslas, excluding the brief 12ish hour period there was legit buggy software on a tiny # of cars in FSDBeta program. Other companies have issues with AEB too- as cited by myself and others, to varying degrees. Some far worse than Tesla (and taking far longer to fix).

One is TACC. Which is most commonly the oncoming traffic slowdowns or shadow/sign issues. FSBBeta handles this far better, because it's inherently intended to be used with coming and cross-traffic. It's not "done" yet obviously, but it shows a lot better behavior than "old" TACC does on such roads, so there's fair reason for optimism. Here, again, though many have cited other brands that have phantom braking (not AEB) so it's not unique to Tesla either.

If you want to provide useful feedback you need to be able to understand what you're complaining about.

You don't need to know how to fix it, but should at least understand what the problem is.

Lastly I have to point out a large number of your posts are divisive. They are routinely insulting to a fair number of people repeatedly. Everyone is just trying to talk about the issue.

I'm pointing out sourced facts, including when they contradict repeatedly false claims.

If someone is insulted by that, that's on them.

Meanwhile at least one guy on the other side compared my doing the above to having ethics worse than a child molesters.

So I think you might be upset by the wrong side of the debate- but that's just my opinion. You can respect it or not I guess.

They have opinions which might be different from yours or mine but they are their opinions and should be respected.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

They are not entitled to their own facts.

So when folks keep claiming untrue things as facts, I'll keep correcting them with evidence showing otherwise.

Just as when someone misquotes others and makes up strawmen based on things nobody ever said, I'll keep correcting them by quoting what was actually said.

Just as when someone insists their own personal anecdote about another brands system being perfect is majorly important, but insists anyone ELSES personal anecdotes about the same brand not being perfect are irrelevant- I'll keep pointing out the contradiction and hypocrisy inherent.

I'm perfectly happy to respect opinions. Not so much outright dishonesty.

You're welcome to whatever opinion you wish about that of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: jabloomf1230
Here is what people know. THE 5HIT aint working. No one cares about "well, its due to the SQL redundancy of the database being misaligned with the DOJO and the cloud agnostic elaboration of the RGB camera version 2.1, and none of that is due to engineers lack of leaning in"

ITS BRAKING ON AN EMPTY 6 LANE INTERSTATE IN BROAD DAYLIGHT. FOR $12K. CUSTOMERS ARENT HAPPY