Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom drain & sleep - Solved in 2020.12.11.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday contacted Tesla techdesk again. They re-sent me the software update (2020.20.1). After reinstalling, power loss dropped quickly and sleep mode started after a while. This night, no power loss at all! So, unless they found the issue and didn’t want to tell me, re-installing the same software solved the problem. Strange, but true

Yesterday contacted Tesla techdesk again. They re-sent me the software update (2020.20.1). After reinstalling, power loss dropped quickly and sleep mode started after a while. This night, no power loss at all! So, unless they found the issue and didn’t want to tell me, re-installing the same software solved the problem. Strange, but true
That's interesting and certainly not a solution I would have expected. Please let us know if it changes while you're still on this software version.

Same issue for me since 2020.20.12. 2018 X AP HW3 and MCU2

Car isn’t going to sleep. Disabled Sentry, removed USB stick, rebooted car with brake pedal and scroll wheels. Losing about 5% per day when car hasn’t even moved.

same here, start having significant drain after updating to 2020.20.12. Approx. 8 miles in 12 hours, car has been parked in the garage since the update.

So, I have been searching for a fix at my side before submitting a service request.

I did the following 2:
1. turn off sentry mode "completely" (not just check the "exclude Home")
2. disable mobile access

And for the past 24 hours, my 19 LR has no drain at all (charged up 90% and stays at 90% 24 hours after).

I now turn on the the sentry mode back on with exclude Home checked (mobile access remains disabled) and would like to see which one of them is the possible root cause (or both).

Last edited:
What are you referring to as disable mobile access?

I went to the car and checked, it is the

"security and safety -> allow mobile access"
swiping left and it will prompt for your Tesla account info to disable it. by doing so, you can't use your mobile phone to communicate with your car in waking it up.

And early indication tells me that it is likely the sentry mode because my 19 LR once again drains 1% in 2 hours. (90% for 24 hours and now 89% after enabling sentry mode with exclude Home checked 2 hours ago). i.e. somehow after the 2020.20.12 software update, sentry mode on my X no longer "think" it is at HOME and still enables the sentry mode although the exclude HOME is checked.

Last edited:
And early indication tells me that it is likely the sentry mode because my 19 LR once again drains 1% in 2 hours. (90% for 24 hours and now 89% after enabling sentry mode with exclude Home checked 2 hours ago
But you don’t have enough significant digits to know anything yet. It could have been at 89.5% which rounds to 90%, and dropping to 89.4% would change the display to 89%.

I don’t have any aspect of summons on and I’m getting the high drain. I submitted a service request 2 days ago and they have so far just told me to change to energy savings on, sentry mode off, and summons off. They were already set that way.

But you don’t have enough significant digits to know anything yet. It could have been at 89.5% which rounds to 90%, and dropping to 89.4% would change the display to 89%.

Agree, just because I went to the car and checked the setting in responding to your “mobile access” question, I saw it showed 89%, the drop could just because I woke up the X twice after 24 hours. Regardless, sentry mode remains off with exclude Home checked, I would wait for tomorrow to see if there will be more % drop.

Honestly guys you’ll probably lose your mind figuring out exactly what the issue is. In my previous post I mentioned trying every single thing to troubleshoot why my car wasn’t sleeping.

It only started sleeping once I updated to 2020.16.2.1 so I figured it was likely a bug instead of user error or a wrong setting.

Now I’m deathly afraid to update to 2020.20.12.

• Disagree
Reactions: kindred7
Honestly guys you’ll probably lose your mind figuring out exactly what the issue is.
Yeah, I agree that it’s clearly a bug. And enough of us are having it that it will eventually get resolved. But not everyone is reporting the problem, which does lead me to wonder the common element among those of us who are having it. I have also been through a number of periods over the years when the car’s losses were high. Some remain a mystery of what happened, but some were resolved by finding a setting which had inadvertently changed. And sometimes plugged in USBs or being on WiFi contributed. None of those things this time.

I have a service appointment for Monday morning, which I fully expected them to cancel because this is a software issue. So far, the appointment is still on.

Couple of idea’s:

1. Set your energy indicator to mile/km. This way you will see the drain in smaller steps than 1%

2. After the firmware re-install, my mX still sleeps as expected. I have found however, that it takes much longer with the normal alarm (not the Sentry mode) switched on. In fact, it seemed that it won’t go to sleep at all sometimes and I have informed the service desk. They are analysing it now. So, maybe you guys can try switching off the alarm and tilt sensor and see if that helps

appears that the bug has been reintroduced. since the update to 2020.20.13 i am seeing a phantom drain of atleast 5kWh per day with no activity at all. Sentry mode and other features are off. Even when driving the consumption higher than normal. 2020.20.11 worked the best for is I believe. unfortunately it lived only for a day and then 2020.20.13 was rolled out.

I disabled mobile access - will see if that fixes it and report back on this thread.

Next step is to disable the alarm. Beyond that I guess it’s just a question of waiting to see if it’s a bug they fix in a future update as pretty much everything else is disabled now that could be causing it.

Installed 2020.20.12 xxxx over a week ago and since noticed huge vampire losses similar to what is listed above. This is a Model X with hardware 3 that was installed 6/3/20. Yesterday, rebooted, turned off security and sentry modes, made sure cabin overheat was off and energy saver was on. Mobile connection is on. Checked range this morning and see it lost 6 miles of range in the space of 14 hours. Car is parked in underground garage far away from fob and I do not carry the fob with me unless to drive.

I noticed the drain when I did not plug the car in overnight for no particular reason two days ago. I have an appointment with mobile service for the 30th. Judging by the number of posts on the subject of battery drain recently, I am surprised that Tesla hasn't already addressed this problem. Certainly seems software related. Not to mention expensive for drivers that charge at home.

I too am experiencing the phantom drain and absolutely no sleeping on my Raven Model X.

This is with version 2020.20.12. All was fine prior to the update. I rebooted several times, powered off the car, changed my Tesla credentials and sentry is correctly excluded at home. I went ahead and reported the issue using the mobile app and I have mobile service scheduled for the 15th of July.

Oddly, my son’s Model 3 is on the same version and it’s working fine.

Oddly, my son’s Model 3 is on the same version and it’s working fine.
Yeah, not a problem on my model 3, only my model X. Both on 2020.20.12.

Go and touch your backup/rear view camera and see if it is hot.
Mine is not hot.

The car has made no noises or anything. Haven’t used it all week and it went from 86% to 62% charge in 7 days. Have service appointment in the morning. I’ll report back if I learn anything.

Reactions: Luisito