Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Phantom opening doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
I've had a couple of instances where I've gone out to the garage in the morning and doors have been open. Once with a falcon wing door, and twice with the driver's door. I thought there was a thread on this, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps it's buried in one of the PUP feature threads.

I blamed myself the first two times, but last night I was in the garage after my shower, after everyone was away from fobs, and then I came in and locked the door. When we woke this morning, the X driver's side door was open.

Anyone else seen this behavior? Do you think my X is partying at night, opening and closing doors and dancing to Slacker tunes? Should I leave the station on NPR to make sure my X stays asleep?

I've had a couple of instances where I've gone out to the garage in the morning and doors have been open. Once with a falcon wing door, and twice with the driver's door. I thought there was a thread on this, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps it's buried in one of the PUP feature threads.

I blamed myself the first two times, but last night I was in the garage after my shower, after everyone was away from fobs, and then I came in and locked the door. When we woke this morning, the X driver's side door was open.
As far as I know, double-clicking the fob is the only way to open the driver's side door (you can't do that via the phone app). Unless you have a very resourceful racoon in your garage that is able to press the handle button. If that's the case, make sure you single-click the fob to lock everything down before going to bed.

If no one is playing with the fobs, then the only other logical explanation is that the fobs are sending errant signals to your car. Try keeping the fobs as far away from the X as possible and/or get an RFID blocking bag to see if that solves the issue. If so, then I would get Tesla to inspect your fobs.

Also, get Tesla to check their logs to see why the driver's door opened. Hopefully, they can determine the time and which fob sent the signal. If you know the exact time, it might help you figure out what is happening.

Are there any other Tesla owners in your neighborhood? I would hate to think that someone else's fob is able to open your doors, but there is always that possibility. In that case, your S fob might be the culprit too.

Finally, I would put a distinguishing mark on each of the fobs, so that you can try to determine which fob is responsible.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone and ohmman
I had a similar issue on Wed. The driver door opened while we were walking away. I closed it with the fob and we went into a restaurant for dinner.

After three minutes of trying to lock the car from the app, I went outside and found the driver door wide open.

Anyone else seen this behavior? Do you think my X is partying at night, opening and closing doors and dancing to Slacker tunes? Should I leave the station on NPR to make sure my X stays asleep?
Have you had the front door latches replaced yet? The original design had issues besides not latching (I should know). SC replaced mine yesterday.

Have you brought your X in for service since mid-June? If not, be aware there is actually a service bulletin and firmware update for the X key fobs. May or may not be related but worth ruling it out as a possibility if you haven't had the update.

image.jpeg

Model X Phantom falcon wing door and rear trunk openings.

Have returned four times to a public parking lot to find my Model X90D (June 2016) open, Three times with drivers side falcon wing door open (twice with me driving and once with my wife driving) and once with rear trunk open (me driving). The falcon wing doors were open about 1/4 and the rear trunk was slightly open but not latched on return to parking lot.

Front door latches were replace on October 28, 2016. Last occurrence of finding driver side falcon wing door open in parking lot was the evening of October 28, 2016. We have three key fobs, do not know if service bulletin recommended firmware update has been performed, if so, would have been on wife's fob only on that day.

Additional phantom openings of falcon wing doors and rear trunk:

Was backing out of garage early on (late June, not yet used to using back up screen) looking over my right shoulder when passenger side door opened about 1/4. Immediately stopped and closed door. Second occurrence while backing out of garage was in December. Had closed driver side falcon wing door while outside of vehicle. Saw door closing and got in drivers seat. Backing out when door hit garage door track (opened without me noticing after I entered vehicle ). Do not recall the distinct alarm sound when moving with door open (many alarm sounds each time when backing out due to close proximity, also low tire pressure alarm due to sudden cold weather and did not yet have my seat belt latched:). This occurrence really startled me. (Tesla service center indicated that falcon wing door had been commanded to open from touch screen while backing out). The next night I was leaving work still thinking about the earlier occurrence. Sitting in car listening to news on NPR for a minute or so, no alarms, put foot on brake and shifted into reverse and driver side falcon wing door full opened. Several days later, I was passenger in my wife's Model S90D (Nov 2015) backing out of our garage (Model X in adjacent bay). Before we were out of garage, driver side falcon wing door full opened. Tried to close from fob but was not successful. Ended up getting out of wife's car and closing door using switch on center post.

Two weeks later at Tesla Supercharger, early morning and no other Teslas there. Business associate in passenger front seat typing on laptop computer, I returned to car and as I was entering the driver side front door, the rear trunk opened fully. We were both surprised. I asked where key fob was thinking maybe accidental command from it. Fob was in cup holder, no one touching. We closed rear trunk using key fob. Emailed Tesla Sevice center with date and time. Log indicated that rear trunk had been commanded to open from touch screen and had been commanded to close from fob (we can confirm the latter). Neither my business partner or I had our hands or anything else close to the touch screen. This is strongest data point that we have for phantom open commands from touch screen observed by two registered professional electrical engineers.

Model X in service center now (January 20, 2017). Initial response is that all checks out normal and "phantom openings" are most likely operator error:-( Hope to spend time with service technician and receive a better answer when I pick up vehicle.

Have others experienced these phantom openings? Has a likely cause been determined? Is there a solution? I am worried about leaving vehicle in public parking and loosing valuables that are in car. Also worried about returning to car and finding it full of rainwater when parked outside in Oregon.

Model X 90D six seat, premium upgrade package, ultra high fidelity sound, towing package, subzero weather package

There have been reports of screen actions precipitated by static electricity, created by wiping the dashboard with a cloth, for example. I recall one discussion where a grounding wire was found to be loose behind the console screen in a MS.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone