Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the mobile app is finally about to get updated!!

First look with pictures at Tesla’s new mobile app with new UI, touch ID, and widgets

tesla-app-new-6.png

tesla-app-new-4.png

tesla-app-new-2.png

I noticed these screenshots show the rear quarter view. When I view my car, it's the front quarter view. Does anyone know how this changes or are these just old screenshots from before the app update was actually released?

After using the new version of the Android app several times over the 3 or 4 days since I got it, I do have to say that I appreciate its improved responsiveness. It is faster, and I have not yet had to shut it down and restart it to get it to work, as I often had to do before. And the odometer reading could be handy so that is a useful addition.

I noticed these screenshots show the rear quarter view. When I view my car, it's the front quarter view. Does anyone know how this changes or are these just old screenshots from before the app update was actually released?

I *think* (not deliberately verified) that you get the front quarter view when you're not plugged in to a charger. When plugged in you get the rear quarter view so the app can show the state of the charge port. At least that's what I observed.

Bruce.

I *think* (not deliberately verified) that you get the front quarter view when you're not plugged in to a charger. When plugged in you get the rear quarter view so the app can show the state of the charge port. At least that's what I observed.

Bruce.
Ah good point. I actually wondered if that was the case but couldn't confirm since my car isn't in my possession right now.

Calendar isn't working for me in the new version of Tesla app for iPhone. Worked without issue before but now I keep getting a message about enabling calendar, bg app refresh and notifications any time I try to enable calendar sync in the app. What am I missing here??

Attachments

• IMG_0901.PNG
    IMG_0901.PNG
    211.7 KB · Views: 77
Calendar isn't working for me in the new version of Tesla app for iPhone. Worked without issue before but now I keep getting a message about enabling calendar, bg app refresh and notifications any time I try to enable calendar sync in the app. What am I missing here??
Have you gone to iOS Settings and verified each of the things identified in the pop-up? In other words, ensure each of the things is first turned on via iOS, then come back to the Tesla App and ensure all is well. The Tesla App can't change some of those setting itself... it's a security/privacy thing in iOS preventing apps from doing so.

I didn't have to make any such changes when the latest Tesla App was received, and all works fine for me, but if I were in your situation, I'd try checking the settings first, then if that still does not do the trick, delete the Tesla App from your phone and reinstall it. When the prompts happen after you first start the Tesla App, ensure you give permission to iOS for each thing and you should be good to go. If not, go check those setting again and correct as need be. Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy

IN my own car, the calendar is working fine. But last week, I had a loaner Model X for a couple of days while my Model S was in for annual service. I synced the phone to the Model X and the phone functions worked just fine, but not the calendar. I did not spend much time trouble-shooting it because I was only going to have the car a few more hours after I discovered the problem.

I was having that same issue, but my wife found the fix. On the phone, do the following:
  • Settings
  • General
  • Background App Refresh
    • Enable
    • Go to Tesla App here
      • Enable if it isn't already
I noticed that this was grey'd out for me when I went into the Tesla app, but it was enabled after I did the above steps. You may want to disable this for all the other apps.

On a side note, is there no way to open either trunk with the new app?

Last edited:

I don't believe this was possible in previous versions of the app either.. as far as I can tell, the only new functionality in the app is the ability to see the car's VIN, odometer, and firmware version.

We may see new features once firmware 8.1 is released, whenever that may be..
I'm personally hoping for seat and battery pre-heating, though I doubt the latter one will ever see the light of day.

I don't believe this was possible in previous versions of the app either.. as far as I can tell, the only new functionality in the app is the ability to see the car's VIN, odometer, and firmware version.

We may see new features once firmware 8.1 is released, whenever that may be..
I'm personally hoping for seat and battery pre-heating, though I doubt the latter one will ever see the light of day.

I thought that I remember being able to do so using the app..

I was having that same issue, but my wife found the fix. On the phone, do the following:
  • Settings
  • General
  • Background App Refresh
    • Enable
    • Go to Tesla App here
      • Enable if it isn't already
I noticed that this was grey'd out for me when I went into the Tesla app, but it was enabled after I did the above steps. You may want to disable this for all the other apps.

Life saver. Thank you very much for this!

Same issue here in Texas. Ever since the new app refresh the app seems to go down for short periods of time. I haven't really tracked it but it seems to go down for less than a few hours during the day. This would be a really big issue for those who drive without a key fob!