Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the new "functionality" in 5.x. The car goes to sleep, and it takes much longer to wake up and accept commands from the iPhone app. It's bloody annoying :)

One nice thing is you can launch the app, then leave it in the background... come back in a few min (check email, update FB status, tweet, etc.)... and it connects instantly. So, there is no need to sit there staring at the phone while it takes its few minutes.

Anyone else's app taking FOREVER to connect to the car? Before I would open it and Boom I was connected, now it goes through a prompt that says "contacting car, this may take a few minutes" and it usually does...

Some information in the app should be available without having to connect:

These things don't change very much from the time you get out of the car to the time you get back.

Depending on what you're connected to, the latter could change quite dramatically. Though I agree Tesla needs to remedy the slow connection to a sleeping car in future releases.

Depending on what you're connected to, the latter could change quite dramatically. Though I agree Tesla needs to remedy the slow connection to a sleeping car in future releases.

True. But the car should send a status update to TM servers just before sleeping. If you are connected to a charger, the car finishes charging, uploads data to TM, and then enters sleep mode. When a user launches the app, they are presented with the latest available data posted by the car.

iOS app v1.2 just posted
Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 9.56.35 AM.png

I like the addition of the Charger slider functionality on the iPhone app. I think what I can do now in the morning to preheat the battery on cold mornings is to move the slider slightly (approximately 1% or so) to initiate charging about 10 minutes before I get into the car. That along with preheating the cabin with the HVAC controls will hopefully get the battery pack into a warm state before getting on the road.

Anyone else's app taking FOREVER to connect to the car? Before I would open it and Boom I was connected, now it goes through a prompt that says "contacting car, this may take a few minutes" and it usually does...

The just-released version now says "Waiking car," which is a bit more clear as to what's happening.

iOS app v1.2 just posted

Yay! Red!

Was hoping for more functionality, but I'll take it. Either this means the app is getting more attention, or they made these easy changes so they don't need to provide it any more attention...